WineXpert wine for topping up

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angell Wine

Reaction score
I started a Spanish Rioja kit that i got from George about a week a go, when i racked to the carboy i had 2 cups left over, so i put that into a 1 gal carboy to finish fermenting. I figure that iwould use it for topping up other wines.My problem is in another week i will be needing that 1 gal carboy. Can i put that extra wine in 750 ml bottle and halfway cork it?

If you don't have a bung that will fit the wine bottle where you can put an air lock on itI would think you could use the ole plastic wrap and rubber band methodAngell but I don't think a cork would work too well.

It never occurred to me to save the stuff off thebottom of the primary when I
racked to carboy. I've been wasting good stuff. Aaarghhh!
smiley5.gif

Next time though, I'll carefully consider what to do with that stuff.

this is wine/must that i rack over to a carboy. its pretty clean for that stage. all the lees where left in the primary. i just thought i would keep it to top off with when i rackagain in the clearing stage.

Can you run it through a filter separately to get the must but not the lees?
The problem I had when I racked is that my siphon gives up about an inch
from the bottom. Lack of technique or something.

I suspect even getting another pint (liter?) from the primary to the secondary
is going to help the overall quality and experience.

I put the bottom of my autosiphon near one side of the carboy at the bottom and very gently tip the carboy so the clear wine is racked off. The small amount of wine that is wasted in order not to suck up the lees is well worth it in my opinion.

Letting the wine settle at least 3 weeks after fining will also make sure the wine is nice andclear and allow the lees to compact and reduce in depth when you go to rack it.

The kit wines say to leave it two weeks. Is that just minimum time? I
presume it does no harm to leave it longer.

That is correct longer is better in my opinion. The kit instructions are written so you can get the wine in the bottle ASAP...but patience is always important in wine making.

So, Masta, how does that square with your tag line? "A good plan violently
executed today"
smiley36.gif

Seriously thanks.Edited by: peterCooper

Latest posts

Back