Wine Diamonds

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidB

Reaction score
So I have a magnum bottle in the fridge that I'm keeping cold red muscadine wine for my daily consumption. I'm drinking two +/- glasses from this bottle a day and fill it up with hot wine when it gets close to being empty.

Today, I was pouring the last glass from the bottle and noticed what I thought was grape skins and seeds in the bottom of the bottle. However, when I looked closer and touched what it was, I found out it was hard crystallized flaky stuff. Is this what is considered wine diamonds and is this a good thing or a bad thing? The wine taste very smooth and excellent if you ask me, but I made it so I would never say anything else. What ya think?

The wine taste very smooth and excellent if you ask me, but I made it so I would never say anything else. What ya think?

I think it is everything you said it is! You droped the diamonds, smoothing out the wine! Congratulations!. Next time you can cold stabilize before bottling for a better presentation to those who don't know what they are!

Thanks Dan.

I somehow feel so proud, like a proud papa or something. This is a major development for me :):try

Maybe just maybe I'm not doomed to pour all my wine down the drain.

You dont get diamonds from inferior juice! As long as you dont mind it in your bottles its nothing to worry about and is found it many high quality commercial wines.

You usually won't see them in reds as the color conceals them. Very evident in whites. As Wade said they won't hurt you, just a little nusience but pour the wine slowly and they will stay in the bottle. Just tartaric acid from the wine.

You are exactly right!! Like said above - it won't hurt you - it is actually a sign of a good grape.

If you don't like that - then just cold stabilize the next batch.

Back