wine concentrate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vitis

Junior
Reaction score
Have any folks used wine concentrate from homewinery.com? They state that their 64 ounce concentrates are sufficient for 5 gallons. I suspect that using less water, and making 3-4 gallons, might make a better wine? Anyone with experience have suggestions?

I use their stuff all the time. I make 5 gallon batches and to me it has plenty of flavor.

Just don't use rc-212. I had bad hs2 problem with 2 batches because of it.

Like dralarms, I buy Fom them. I buy their blackberry every year and make a five gallon batch from it. The flavor is definitely full flavor.

Any wine juice concentrate I've ever used, usually the Alexander's, said to use two cans for 5 gallons, but I found that 3 cans was best. 2 cans seemed to be a bit watered down and thin-bodied. I'm not sure what kind of concentrates homewinery.com are selling, but I'm wondering if you should use at least two cans for 5 gallons. The Alexander's concentrates were pretty thick, almost like syrup, so I don't know how any juice could be concentrated any further.

Tom s

Nope, homewinery.com 's stuff is really good. They do say it you want more flavor they sell pints but I would not add another 1/2 gallon jug. I think it would be heady with flavor.

Tom s this is not Alexander's nor comparable to it. Like dralarms said it makes a very favorable 5 gallon batch.

I don't know if this will contribute to this thread or not but I have been using a 68 brix imported Italian cab sauv concentrate for the past several years. I use 2 gallons concentrate to 5 gallons water to give a S.G. of 1.098.

I think that's what gives my wife the headaches. But no I haven't. She can drink anything I make without a headache and the only thing I don't do is oak. So, I'm just sayin. Lol

LOL, Well how about a vanilla bean? The Hungarian oak has a vanilla flavor to it that just compliments the blackberry. I'm actually thinking when i make this years batch on adding a vanilla bean instead of oaking it to see how that tastes.

I haven't it yet but I'm thinking 1 bean, after it is done fermenting and I backsweeten it and I'm going to let it in for at least 6 weeks

Is this ready to drink any faster than juice buckets?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I think that's what gives my wife the headaches. But no I haven't. She can drink anything I make without a headache and the only thing I don't do is oak. So, I'm just sayin. Lol

Interesting. The only wine I've ever made which gave me a headache (usually the next morning after drinking a couple glasses the night before) was the batch which I added oak to. I can drink a couple of glasses of any of my other wine and it doesn't bother me. I wonder if we may have an oak sensitivity or something?

Just to test it out, I'll have to see if I still have any bottles of that batch left, drink a glass, and see if it gives me a headache the next morning. If so, I'll probably give the rest of it away.

Tmmii,

No faster, but it is cheaper that fruit.

I promised my sister a bunch for her wedding in a year and a month, I may go this route for some, what are your guys favorites they sell? It is a lot cheaper!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

There blackberry is off the hook. Strawberry is pretty good, elderberry is pretty good, their cal. red and cal.white are good too (even if I screwed it up), blueberry is good also. The red raspberry is good, the black raspberry not so much for me.

Latest posts

Back