Wine Competition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MedPretzel

Reaction score
Well, I've entered in my wines for our local fair, which is held on Labor-Day weekend each year. This year it's September 1-5th.

I've entered in the following wines:

1. <LI>Valpollicella - Red, dry grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Anise-Banana-Elderberry - Red dry, semi-sweet non-grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Basil - White, non-grape, semi-dry wine</LI>
    <LI>Chocolate Mint - White, sweet, non-grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Hibiscus - Red, sweet, non-grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Rose Hip - Rose, sweet, non-grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Cab-Sav/Black Currant- Red dessert wine</LI>

Since only one wine per class, my husband (hehehe) is entering some wines as well:

1. <LI>Marigold - Rose, sweet, non-grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Cabernet Franc - Red, dry, grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Pumpkin - White, semi-dry, non-grape wine</LI>
    <LI>Lavender - White, sweet, non-grape wine</LI>

I hope I win some honorable mentions at least.
smiley36.gif
But knowing how my luck is, my husband is going to walk away with the ribbons!!

Yes, he actually wanted to do it, which is such a surprise to me. He usually stays out of my winemaking hobby altogether (except for tasting, of course), but he said he'd like to do this. He wanted my wines to have a good chance at the County Fair, even if it's "mine vs his". He likes that on my website that I put the little ribbons next to the ones that won last year.
smiley36.gif

The funny thing is, is that whenever I do something like this, the "other person" wins. I once took a college Photography course with my sister, took all the photographs for both of us, and she got the A, and I got the B. It was a major bummer, but it's pretty funny now to look back on it.
smiley36.gif

Here's a row of the wines I'm going to enter in the Fair.

2005-07-25_135955_w_ggcf.jpg
Edited by: MedPretzel

I've been a fairboard member for our county for 3 years now and to the best of my knowledge we have never had a wine entered . Our district fair has a nice contest though. Med I wish you the best of luck.

Chris

Greenbean,

Thank you very much for the well-wishes!
smiley4.gif

Kaizen,

Unfortunately, I have to take the labels off before I offer my bottles to the fair. I think we can at least keep the shrink-caps on them.

great looking labels... where do you get some of your images/pictures from ???

I get them all from Google images.

It's the easiestway to goand you find such awesome looking pictures!

<DIV =postcolor>Valpollicella - Red, dry grape wine
No ribbon
(Kit wine)
Comments from Judge: Faint but fruity nose. A bit thin and flat. Try longer skin contact &amp; possibly more acid.

Anise-Banana-Elderberry - Red dry, semi-sweet non-grape wine
4th place
Comments from Judge: Light rose color. Slight burning sensation in taste. Burns itself out in the aftertaste.

Basil - White, non-grape, semi-dry wine
2nd place
Comments from Judge: Nice spicey aroma and taste. Slightly bitter.

Chocolate Mint - White, sweet, non-grape wine
3rd place
Comments from Judge: Nice minty nose and flavor. Slightly flat. A bit more acid would perk it up.

Hibiscus - Red, sweet, non-grape wine
4th place
Comments from Judge: Nose ok but faint taste. Good fruit and balance with slight bitterness.

Rose Hip - Rose, sweet, non-grape wine
3rd place
Comments from Judge: Light fruity aroma. FInishes too dry for category but well-made. Would score higher with a higher sugar level.

Cab-Sav/Black Currant- Red dessert wine
No ribbon.
(Kit Wine)
Comments from Judge: Fault is fizziness/foam. Marigold in nose and taste.

Marigold - Rose, sweet, non-grape wine
4th place
Comments from Judge: Too dry for category. Try adding both more sugar and acid. A little harsh - needs just more aging. Well made for fruitiness.

Cabernet Franc - Red, dry, grape wine
No ribbon.
(Kit Wine)
Comments from Judge: Light berry aroma. Flavor thin. Needs some acid or blended.

Pumpkin - White, semi-dry, non-grape wine
4th place
Comments from Judge: Subdued aroma but ok. A bit flat. Try adding a little acid to perk up taste.

Lavender - White, sweet, non-grape wine
4th place
Comments from Judge: Intense fruit on nose, unusual, slightly bitter taste.

Thanks to George, I'll never have a problem with acidity anymore. I've been learning how to use my pH-meter, so I hope next year there will be more higher placing wines.

Otherwise, I'm very disappointed in my placings. Last year I did much better.

Oh well, you win some, you lose some and some you come in 4th (out of 4 wines).

Geeze Martina,

I'd be just pickled tink to have only 3 out of 11 wines entered not place. I think you did very well!
smiley32.gif

Thank you everyone.
smiley9.gif

I have a lot to work on with my wines, and the notes were pretty good for what I need to work on. I am just sad that there are no categories for "petal/flower" and "herb" wines.
smiley19.gif

I still love my mum wine, although I was not allowed to enter it this year, since I won 1st place last year.

Congratulations Martina, I think you did very well. I too would be proud to finish with only 3 of 11 not placing. Your still in 1st place with all of us.

Bill

I think you should be very proud of your results and with the judges notes and your pH tester, you should really "kick some booty" next year. My most heart felt congratulations.
smiley32.gif

I think the most important thing is being forgotten here. IfYOU make the wine and YOU like it, that is all that really matters.

One other point, were the other entries as "Eclectic" as your entries? The judges may not really knew how to judge them and their personal tastes do not know how to evaluate these eclectic flavors.
smiley23.gif

I personally find it fascinating that you take all these items and make a drinkable product out of them. Truly amazing if I say so myself!
smiley32.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Aw, thanks Smurfe!
smiley9.gif

I had a problem with the judges not knowing what wines they were. My wines went up against traditional fruit wines. We weren't allowed to label them, but I had seen that some of them had a small ID on them. We'll see.
smiley1.gif

Thanks for the comments. I will probably still enter my wines next year.
smiley1.gif

Back