Wine Clip

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schulti1

Junior
Reaction score
Has any use the wine clip.
smiley32.gif

The Wine Clip uses principles of magnetics to improve the taste of wine as it is being poured out of the bottle. The effect is instantaneous, and has been found by many wine professionals to result in a genuine improvement in flavor and mouthfeel, especially when used on red wines.

I've seen this advertised before, but thought it a selling gimmick! I really don't know! We'll see what someone else has to say.

It looks like a wine stopper with a small funnel attached with small holes. I think that is what schulti 1 is talking about. When you pour your wine using this wine stopper funnel, it oxygenates it?!
smiley5.gif
smiley24.gif

This is what they are talking about and until know never heard of it. I'm going to read up on it in a little while.

20070108_154552_3-circles.gif

Just make sure the arrows are pointed in the right direction when you place it on your bottle of wine. If you have the arrow in the wrong direction it will turn your wine into kool aid
smiley36.gif

Seriously, I know nothing about the gadget but I would be awfully skeptical about it being any benifit. I have been wrong before too.Edited by: Waldo

Wow, that looks alot like the Fuel Magnitizer and Water Magnetizer. I used to run into these things all the time. Depending on the target audience they claim to 1) increase your fuel mileage by 30%!!! or 2) eliminate all scale, corrosion, and microbiological growth in industrial cooling systems.

A customer of mine in Santiago, Chile was plagued by these back in the late 80's. They sent me the literature, and, to make a long story short, I bought a Fuel Magnitizer ($39.95) and installed it on my 2 year old '86 Mazda pick-up. Being the anal-retentive kind of guy I am, I had tracked the fuel mileage from day one, and had 2 years of records. After another year of records you can guess the results - nada. Seasonal variations due to ambient temperature had a bigger effect.

The end to this story took place many years later. A US customer told me that "a friend of his" had an opportunity to invest in a new invention called the "Fuel Magnitizer" (same device) and what did I think. (Aparently, they make as much money sucking in investors as they do selling the things.) I told him about my experiment. A couple of weeks later I got a call from the FM people, threatening to sue me. I gave them the details of the evidence I had, and offered to review any hard data they cared to offer. I never heard from them again.

In the case of this device, the only data I woud accept is a blind tasting by experts using the same bottle of wine - half poured without the device, and half with.

I remember the fuel magnitizer now that you say that. You mounted it on
your fuel line right. My wife triedf to get me to buy one when she
heard of it and I said NO WAY!

The Wine Clip uses principles of magnetics to improve the taste of wine
as it is being poured out of the bottle. The effect is instantaneous,
and has been found by many wine professionals to result in a genuine
improvement in flavor and mouthfeel, especially when used on red wines.

Using magnets to treat fluids – water, fuel, wine, etc. - is not a
new idea, and the technology has been applied successfully in many
industries. What causes the effect has been the subject of some debate,
but it is generally thought that passing a conductive fluid through a
properly designed magnetic field has an effect on the polar molecules
in the fluid.

In wine, it is believed that the large, polymerized tannins in wine
that normally result in a high degree of astringency are broken up or
otherwise affected, resulting in a less astringent, “softer” flavor.

The Wine Clip may also accelerate aeration, by drawing higher
concentrations of oxygen to the wine as it is being poured. In contrast
with most gases, oxygen is highly magnetically susceptible, and is
attracted to a magnetic field. This would explain testimony from wine
experts that The Wine Clip instantly produces the benefits of time
consuming aeration. All copied from the website for yous who want to read but not look for it!

Yeah, I read a lot about magnets and wine a long time ago.
After weeks of reading, basically I found they do not change the flavor any
(this was the consensus)

Wow! That's not what I've seen. That little gizmo looks like it should hold bullets and snap into your gun!
smiley36.gif

What is in the wine that is magnetic? It's all just a bunch of hocus pocus and psychological effects. If you truly believe the wine magnet works, then you have a much better chance of tasting any "changes" that may take place.

The only thing that wine clip will work for is catching any metal pieces that are in your wine bottle so they don't fall into your glass and break it....
smiley36.gif

sorry but I couldn't help myself...

My granny used to say, "A fool and his money are soon parted". I'll just remove the arthritis magnets from my wrist whenever I want a glass of wine and tape that around the bottle and save myself a few dollars!
smiley36.gif

Masta - that was my thought, too.

The principles that these devices cite are real. Electrophorysis can be used to purify water by drawing ions to charged plates. The problem with these devices is that they are nowhere near strong enough and do not have enough contact time. Say you pour the wine at a rate of 5 oz. in 5 seconds. That's 1800 cc/min, or roughly 1/2 gpm. The device appears to be 1.5" long, and the ID of a standard 750 ml bottle is 3/4". If you pour with the neck half full, the contact time with the magnetic field is 180 milliseconds.

Just how much effect will a magnetic field not strong enough to damage your watch, applied for less than a fifth of a second, have? Not bloody much, as the Brits say. Perhaps if the wine were pumped through an electromagnet running on 20A of 440V power (like a MRI machine) there might be some effect.

However, considering that getting an MRI is considered less dangerous than an X-ray, and the magnetic flux in an MRI is millions of times more powerful than that device, I don' think it is doing any more than the Fuel Magnetizer did on my truck.

As far as the "experts" who agree, as cited on their website, WHO, WHAT, WHEN, WHERE? These devices always seem to have testimonials from people who cannot be located. Back in the day, the water treatment devices cited research institutes in the Soviet Union whose existence could not be confirmed.

Sorry for the rant. The first account I ever lost in the water treatment biz, when I first started out as a salesman, was to one of these things. Perhaps I'm just biased.

I dont think Peter even uses grapes or juice to make wine. I think he
just materializes the compounds x 6% then divides that by the volume of
his carboy to the 4th power and then!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Edited by: wade

I'm not for sure what I just read?
smiley5.gif
But, I do know I won't buy one of those things................ I think!!
smiley29.gif

Back