WineXpert Wine clarification timetable

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyportale

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an WE Eclipse Chilean Malbec / Shiraz kit ready to go to step 3, clarification / racking. That 'step' is supposed to last approx. 8 days before going to step 4 - bottling. I have to go out of town and won't be back in time to perform step 4 after 8 days. The wine will be sitting in the carboy for a total of 16 days before I can get to racking / bottling it. Is that O.K. to leave the wine in the clarification step for that long before bottling? I will have someone to watch the airlock.

Cheers,
Tony

That is a very short amount of time from clearing to bottling, it won't hurt to leave there for at least 3 months. So leave it and not worry while you are gone.

I have had wine in carboys for 6 mos, without any problem.
Why are you watching the air lock..just make sure there is water in it..
Takes about 3 mos before it evaporates out.
Do not bottle until your wine is very clear.

Thank you for the info
I apologize for not being more specific. These new kits say 'no topping off'. I'm still racking using 6 gal. carboys (which in reality are 6.5 gal) and the top surface of the wine is just at the point in the carboy that starts curving up towards the neck. Is that two much 'head space' over a 16 day period? My plan was to rack back to a 5 gal. so I would not need to do any topping off.

Cheers,

Thank you for the info
I apologize for not being more specific. These new kits say 'no topping off'. I'm still racking using 6 gal. carboys (which in reality are 6.5 gal) and the top surface of the wine is just at the point in the carboy that starts curving up towards the neck. Is that two much 'head space' over a 16 day period? My plan was to rack back to a 5 gal. so I would not need to do any topping off.

Cheers,

I have been told by the people at WineXpert that Their kits dont require topping up right away.

I would say if you just cleared it per the directions and are going to leave it with 3 bottles worth of headspace for 16 days you should be fine.
You are early in the process.
If you intend to bottle after these 16 days then leave it as is.

If you intend to top up and bulk age then I would top up prior to skipping town.

With my WineXpert Pinot Kit, I topped up just after clearing (which was not that clear) and it cleared even further!

I normally bulk age in smaller carboys for approx. 3 months, then I bottle. I reduce down to (2) - 3 gal. or (1) - 3 gal. and a couple of 1 gal. jugs. So you are saying that I should top off my 6 gal. carboy before heading out?
Thank you

Hello,
I have an WE Eclipse Chilean Malbec / Shiraz kit ready to go to step 3, clarification / racking. That 'step' is supposed to last approx. 8 days before going to step 4 - bottling. I have to go out of town and won't be back in time to perform step 4 after 8 days. The wine will be sitting in the carboy for a total of 16 days before I can get to racking / bottling it. Is that O.K. to leave the wine in the clarification step for that long before bottling? I will have someone to watch the airlock.

Cheers,
Tony
That won't be a problem at all. In fact, your wine will be clearer when you rack it. And you're not going to bottle in stage 4, you will rack, add some K-meta, and leave for another 2 weeks (or more).
PS WE has no blends in the Eclipse line. I'm sure what you mean is WE SI Chilean Malbec/Shiraz with grapeskins.

Latest posts

Back