Wine Cellar

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent most of today staining and building 1 of the racks(1 lower and 1 upper as I just cant get long enough wood from work as this is all scrap red and white oak but when stained you really can not tell the difference. Ill post some pics later as I have to affix some more labels to fill up the rack. All in all this room will be home to approx. 700 bottles.

Let's see now, what is the capacity of the room in people? Divide that by 700 and how many can we expect to drink up each on you Wade?
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

I know that Sparkling wine doesnt need to be shelved like that but was the only bottles left for tonight that I had labels for to fill it and get as many as I can off the floor so there they went. If I have room when all is said and done they will go back there though. Have to start printing out more labels for the other batches I have made and designed labels for but never printed out. Might have to open a bottle or 2 to distinguish what is what as I am not sure of a few batches down there. Lot more racks to make. Also have to put trim in after racks are installed as most of it will be hidden and I dont really want to waste money! That outlet at top left of the rack is a phone outlet and has to go as it will be in the way for the next rack.
20070903_172429_Empty_Rack.jpg

20070903_172601_Full_Rack.jpg

Edited by: wade

That wineand the racks look great Wade...thanks for the photos...now we know you really have been busy.

Are the racks anchored to the wall???

To the left wall and the rest will be tied in to 1 another and probably the ceiling with a bracket cause I dont want to anchor into the concrete wall behind it as it is subterranean and that was 1 of the walls they sprayed down with a special sealing spray to make it non-porous so dont want it leaking now! Thanks and I will be busy as Im motivated again but its hot again today!

I brought home a lot os scraps today and have almost all of what I need except for about 2o pcs which I will get by the end of the week as these are small pcs. I cut them all down to size and will sand and route what I need to start my next rack tomorrow.
20070904_184019_Rack_Lumber.jpg

Each 1 of those piles is a upper or lower wine rack.

hey hey hey and hi Wade

just pack them up adnd I will give you my UPS number to ship to Oak
Hill Winery. They sure will look good here. I think that
you have become a custom winerack maker too!!!

looks good Wade.

Later

rrawhide

Okay spent all day in the back yard and in the room today as the floor
is way off even though I put a lot of self leveling cement in there.
Some of the humps were way up out of the cement and would have had to
pour about 3" to completely level it so it really broke my chops. I had
to use a laser and cut each leg at different heights and then turn the
laser on to mark each rail accordingly. I made 3 racks toady as each
one that goes to the ceiling is in 2 pcs. as this is all scrap wood and
had nothing long enough which made it more work. The right cab is going
to have shelves on the bottom 2 levels for sparkling wine since every
time I put these on the side I seem to lose a bottle from leaks.
smiley18.gif

Dont know why this is happening since they were all new champagne
corks. There will eventually be a oak countertop on top of that unit to
store carboys on. I need the room above to change the water filters. Its really hard to get a picture of it all as the room is not big enough to work the camara right and it doesnt help that Im NO photographer! I have to get to work on figuring out what the heck I have bottled in my basement as I never labeled most of my older batches. Do Not Make This Mistake People! Label each bottle somehow whether it be with masking tape or something.
20070908_172258_Wine_Rack_2.jpg

Coming along nicely Wade. Now finish filling it up!
smiley4.gif

Was it hot there the last couple days? It was supposed to get to 88 yesteday and it ended up 99 here, 100 in the next town over. Today was supposed to get to 77, and it got up to 93. Cooling off nicely though now. Didn't get any rain though.

It was very hot today and yesterday appleman and there was no shade in my backyard today! I started at 8:00 am this morning since my neighbor was delivered a totally customized Harley Davidson yesterday that is so loud that my teeth chatter when he revs it up, and guess what he wanted to do this morning, yep, take it for a ride. I like Harleys but they are just to dang loud! I have enough to fill these but like I stated earlier, I have to figure out what is what since it all got moved around fixing the basement. We are about to get hit with a good storm I think and we really need the rain. I didnt water the yard this year like I normally every year and I pretty much lost the side and a lot of the front. when you walk on it, it crunches.
smiley19.gif

Wade wrote:
The right cab is going to have shelves on the bottom 2 levels for sparkling wine since every time I put these on the side I seem to lose a bottle from leaks.
smiley18.gif

Wade...what's going on with the sparkling wine???? If you are loosing wine to leaks..then you lost your bubbles too....Dang!!!!Edited by: Northern Winos

Sounds like you guys are getting the heat we had last week....now we have some pretty chilly air around here...was in the 50's yesterday and raining...only 40 this morning.....burrr!!!!! Enjoy the heat...unfortunatly summer won't last forever.

I dont know whats going on NW, It must have been fine until I tipped them over cause it wasnt dripping it was spraying a very fine mist. I walked in and felt it on my face and could smell it but really couldnt see it. So there is still great pressure in there!

Wade, how long did you have them upright? Could the corks dry out a little and when you laid them down under pressure they leak? But then if they are plastic stoppers, I don't think that would be possible. Not sure what type of stoppers you used.

Going through all the batches with no labels or even worse, the ones I never even removed the original commercial labels. This is not fun to get commercial labels off dry since I really dont want to put them in water to and get the corks wet with this stuff or vary the temps of the wine bottles to much. Dry scraping is going but its tuff. On a good note I found 9 bottles of my 2006 Black currant that I didnt know I even had as it was buried under some other batches! This was my favorite batch ever and the one that got everyone else on the Currant kick!
smiley36.gif

Our last batch of Sparkling Wine had a couple leakers....I must have been overly aggressive when riddling...

I could smell wine in the wine cellar one day...checked all the bottles in the racks and didn't find anything leaking....figured it was the Sparkling Wine that was upside-down in the crates and that I would find out what it was someday...Sure enough...when we went to dégorge 2 bottles had some missing and were flat....I must have jolted and dropped them too hard onto the plastic stoppers and they had a slight crack in them....so...this next batch will be handled a little more gently.

We dégorged the last of that batch last week...when were recapping Jim mentioned that the stoppers went into one bottle too easily...he tried that same stopper in another bottle and it was fine...Then took another stopper and it went in the problem bottle just fine.....I don't think all the bottles nor all the plastic stoppers are created equal....Some of our bottles are a little different than others....

So...maybe your leaking bottle is one of those that is a little different...or that stopper was a little off.....I would say that the bottle that was spraying a mist might be flat when you open it...save it for a semi-special occasion and open it just for yourselves....just incase it is flat...The wine will still be tasty.

Finally got all those batches in my basement all labeled and cleaned and racked. I need to build more racks this weekend as I have 3 batches that need to get bottled to make room for some batches already in primary, a double batch of the W.E Chocolate Raspberry Port that should be coming in soon and a batch of Plum that i might start tomorrow as the grocery store is having a good sale on them and Ive been wanting to try Plum.
20070911_154533_Picture.jpg

Shelves look great Wade, Very professional! Good Job
smiley32.gif

Could you stack the bottles 2 high on each shelf?

Latest posts

Back