Wine and Sun???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1ChuckGauthier

Reaction score
I have heard reference to the fact that the sun is bad for wine, mine is out in the kitchen and likley getting some sun. What might happen to my wine? Can I cover with a blanket and solve problem. I plan to use my bedroom for long term storage, room is darkened and cooler than the rest of the house.

Thank you.......Chuck

the sun will damage the wine. you can cover it or move it. moving it to a cooler place would help, but it is also about the temperature being constant. the bedroom would probably be better as it sounds.

What would the problem be with my wine if it caught to much sun. Taste, color, ruined. My life's downfall is I have always had to ask why........Thanks...Chuck

The wine will not store as long. Temp affects the rate at which chemical changes occur. Research showed that the rate of these chemical reactions double every 18 degrees - so a wine stored at 75 degrees may change twice as fast as wine stored at 57 degrees.

Being in and out of direct sunlight will fluctuate the temps too much in a wine.

You can ust a T shirt instead of the blanket

Thanks to all for the come backs and answers, I was concerned that like in starwars maybe UV Rays or something would spoil the wine and render it usless. Home is airconditioned when needed and held at about 72 degree's year around due to mother in law at age 86 needing heat and in early summer first heat wave whilst we all soak up all the heat we can get in order to get over our long cold wet dark winter days. Due to some heating glitch our Master Bedroom is always cooler than the rest of the house so it will be used for bulk storage. Thank You, time to go:fsh

Back