Wine Adjustments

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiggy

Junior Winemaker
Reaction score
Morning
Looking for some feedback on adjusting some wine .
Pinot Noir
Ph 3.52
TA .66
Taste is good . I think this one is ok

Zinfandel
Ph 3.68
Ta is .66
Taste ok I think this one is ok

Cab Franc
Ph 3.83
Ta .51 . I think I will raise this with some Tartic Acid

Not sure about these Chilean wines
Chilean Shiraz
Ph 3.53
Ta 1.02

Chilean Melot
Ph 3.74
Ta .81

Both don't taste good

Any comments for adjustments would be appreciated

depends on how old the wines are. if less than three months monitor after 6 months or more. if a lot older, do bench trials with some sugar syrup it will balance the acid not cause the wine to be sweet since small amounts are usually required. it will balance the wine and also improve the taste.

You have two ways to adjust;
* Flavor = ready to serve; the key here is the comment “tastes good”, when you get down to it nothing else really matters today. 1.02 and 0.51% TA are at the edges of where most consumers like a wine. By the numbers The 1.02% could be balanced with some sugar and the .5 with some acid.
* Fermentation/Storage; for this you are looking at modifying the chemistry and reducing the risk factors. . pH 3.8 is a risk factor for storage, the wine will deteriorate slower at a lower pH like 3.5 or 3.3. (flavor is a TA function, see thread “a course in wine making”)

We are getting into style. I run lots of country wines with high solids/ flavor and so I think nothing of having a TA of 1.0+ % which forces me to back sweeten. ,,, Is your style sweet? ,,,, From a food chemistry/ storage point I like pH 3.3 a lot more than 3.8 which is where your TA of 1% will go if you add Kbicarbonate/ I wouldn’t raise the pH! ,,, The other option for 1% is to chill to 32F and precipitate tartrates, this is milder and might get you where you want the flavor to be/ the direction if your style is dry wine.

Thank you for your replys .
I think I may try one demijohn with some sugar syrup and chilling one demijohn . When Chilling to 32f .Are you Chilling in the glass demijohn ?

I have done chilling glass and PET/ big mouth bubbler.
Glass could break if you get below 28F/ slushy turning to solid stage. The liquid also expands and I occasionally lose some juice which expanded/ pushed out of the cap on bottles in the freezer. So far I have never had a half gallon or gallon juice container break in the freezer, nominally -20F.

Back