Will This Work??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winepig

Junior
Reaction score
Due to a wet Spring, which led to too much time on my hands, we went a little crazy with our wine making volume.

I'm out of carboys and being the tight-a$$ that I am, I don't want to buy any.

Will this work for a secondary:

PB300001.jpg

My wife is just about done with strawberry jam and freezing and they are still coming on. I'd like to try a batch of wine but if this jug won't work, we'll just freeze the berries until a carboy opens up.

Thanks for your opinions..... laugh at me if you want, I can take it.

Tim

I dont' know but it looks like it would work. Is it airtight?

Yes, very airtight. The lid has a good gasket and the gromet around the airlock fits better than I even thought it would.

I was more concerned with the large area of the throat maybe causing trouble compared to the small neck of a carboy.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Tim

The large area is not a major problem during secondary fermentation as the wine is still giving off a lot of CO2. Many folks ferment to dry in their primary bucket where there is a very large surface area. They just keep it airtight. Good luck!!! :b

You bet'cha it will work, especially as a secondary fermentor. For anything past the fermentation stage, it will need to be really full to protect from oxidation.

Ya might be a redneck if..... :) A little duct tape around the lid and then "Git-R-Done".

You ain't seen Redneck..... LOL.

When I first started dabbling in wine making again, I didn't have any fancey smancey airlocks. I would put my one gallon jugs of future wine in five gallon buckets, and filled them with water up to the neck, then turned a glass jar over the tops so the rims were below the water line.

It worked great the first couple years, then I had a catastrophe, when I sucked a bunch of grungy bucket water into my almost finished wine...... that convinced me to spend some money on real airlocks. I never priced them before that, so I didn't realize how cheap they were.

It's not that we don't have the money to spend, I just grew up helping my dad make grape wine in a couple of old wooden kegs that he helped his dad make wine in, I knew it wasn't a real high tech sport.

I'm coming around to more modern methods, but it's fun to listen to my nephew and his friends talk about how their kits are going and when to add chemicals and stuff. Then I break out some of my low tech wine and they can't understand how I can make something good without anything but ingredients and time.

Thanks for all the replies, I'll keep everybody posted on how it works.

Tim

Latest posts

Back