Will a seat belt fit around my carboys???

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JasonH

Reaction score
I just bought a new home about 10 minutes away from my current residence. Everything is happening really fast. We close on the 28th of this month and are moving everything on the same day. I have a bunch of full carboys that I am not ready to bottle. Does anyone have any advice for safe transport? I'm very concerned about soaking the interior of my poor jeep with young, well top-offed wine!!!!

Jason do you have any 6 gallon buckets to slip your carboys in? You would need to be careful about removing them but this way they would have a slightly better way of standing up and if you place them side to side there is less chance of them breaking.

I would still run a towel around the buckets as a bit of extra protection.

Plus drive carefully. May need to alter a baby on board sign to read "Wine On Board"

Ideally the best thing to use is the plastic milk crates. When I am buying bulk juice I see people pull up in trucks that are packed with carboys in those.

I would NOT put them on a seat. Put them on the floor or in a milk crate

The buckets and milk crates are really good ideas. I'll have to start looking around for them. If I can manage the spacing well and drive really slow it might be ok. Atleast the wine will end up degassing well on the ride over.

Don't get pulled over if your state has "open bottle" laws. Since those carboys aren't sealed, if you got just the right peace officer who's having a bad day, could be a problem for you.

If a police officer wrote you up for transporting a sealed (Air-Lock and Bung) carboy of unfinished wine from your old home to new home do me a favor and get me his name please.

After getting my carboys filled with juice at the winery I had a friend sit in the backseat with 2 on the floorboard and 2 on the back seat. He held the ones in the backseat so they wouldn't move. Just take it slow and you'll be fine.

The buckets and milk crates are really good ideas. I'll have to start looking around for them. If I can manage the spacing well and drive really slow it might be ok. Atleast the wine will end up degassing well on the ride over.

Well, I have 6 milk crates you can borrow if you need to. I just need to make sure they find their way back home. This is the route I would take as well, the milk crates will provide a flat surface that won't rock at all. Depending on what kind of Jeep, you can probably get 6 of them in the hatch area.

Well, I have 6 milk crates you can borrow if you need to. I just need to make sure they find their way back home. This is the route I would take as well, the milk crates will provide a flat surface that won't rock at all. Depending on what kind of Jeep, you can probably get 6 of them in the hatch area.

I appreciate the offer. I found a plenty of them in my parents basement last night so borrowing yours won't be necessary. I can take all country roads so I'm going to try setting them on the floor in the crates with someone babysitting at a steady pace of 15mph. I didn't even think of open container laws. That would be a hell of a way to get a DUI.

Yeah if you can't find milk to transport them - get a few buddies to ride along and keep them sturdy for the 10 min drive to the new destination.

I would also get some solid bungs and maybe tape them in or have them held in somehow so as to prevent any spillage...

I would also get some solid bungs and maybe tape them in or have them held in somehow so as to prevent any spillage...

I would feel more comfortable with air locks depending on where the wine is. If it is fermenting or full of gas you could end up with a mess on your hands. As Brian mentioned you may want to tape them down.

Just carrying them to and from the car would be a pain for me. When I take the carboys to and from my garage for cold stabilizing, it is staring to hurt, trying to carry them up and down the stairs, not to mention the overall distance.

I carry them inside the nylon carrying netting, which I get from George, but it is still tough.

I am thinking about coming up with a harness of some sort, which will fit over over my neck and shoulders, allowing me to carry the carboy against my chest, like a baby. Trouble is trying to set it down.

I'm definitely going to be sore the next day. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!

I have moved wines twice in my car.. Had no problems, it even degassed them a bit.. I moved a hour away so 10 min will not hurt them at all.. I just put mine in the car seat and there was not one problem..

We (my wine and I) are finally all moved in. I placed all the carboys in crates and layed them on a flat surface in the vehicle. Fortunately, there were no casualties and everything went smoothly. It really wasn't as bad as I thought it would be.

Latest posts

Back