Moving, full carboys..

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Downwards

Reaction score
So we're getting ready to move at the end of this month. I'm excited because the place has a great spare room that the wife and I are going to split wine room/ sewing room. Even has the biggest walk in closet I've ever seen for storing the carboys.

But here's the catch. I have about 60 gallons of various wines in carboys. Is there a safe way to move these? The new place is very close, about 8 miles or so away. I'm thinking of moving everything else first and then taking them in the car in seats with the seatbelt fastened on each- 3 per trip. All are currently airlocked, but finished fermenting enough that I could probably stopper them.

How would you do it? For those who have done it before, what did you learn that might be helpful?

Thanks everybody.

Go down to a grocery store and ask if you can borrow some milk crates. Offers some protection and helps to keep them from turning over. And tie the bungs in place for the trip.

So we're getting ready to move at the end of this month. I'm excited because the place has a great spare room that the wife and I are going to split wine room/ sewing room. Even has the biggest walk in closet I've ever seen for storing the carboys.

But here's the catch. I have about 60 gallons of various wines in carboys. Is there a safe way to move these? The new place is very close, about 8 miles or so away. I'm thinking of moving everything else first and then taking them in the car in seats with the seatbelt fastened on each- 3 per trip. All are currently airlocked, but finished fermenting enough that I could probably stopper them.

How would you do it? For those who have done it before, what did you learn that might be helpful?

Thanks everybody.

I moved one from Florida to Pennsylvania by putting a solid stopper in and put the carboy into a bucket then just packed everything else around it. No problems!

Tape down the stopper. Duct tape does a good job. It only takes on good bump to start things sloshing around. One spill in your auto and you will know it for weeks.

Only about 8 miles... Two trips pulling a Vermont Garden Cart ought to do it. :D

m26-280-thumb.jpg

That looks pretty good bkisel. I wonder if I could get my two little poodles to pull that?

I drove 2 hours on the highway with a full carboy. Put an open ziploc sandwich bag over the top (didn't have a solid stopper) and then rubber banded it on really tight. Didn't spill a drop, and I drive like a crazy person. Just seat belted it into the passenger seat.

Good luck moving all that wine!

Another fan of milk crates here. But they make everyday storage of carboys much easier. Handles are good for moving, but making sure the carboys don't bang into each other is priceless.

I agree with the use of crates. I often drive to fill two 5 gallon carboys with spring water from a state park and the crates are what I find keep the carboys upright and secure.

All right. Looks like I'm going to try and get some milk crates. In the old days I used to make shelving units from them but those wouldn't have fit carboys. I'm assuming they have a different shape these days? Do they fit 6.5 gallon carboys too?

I just moved from Anchorage to Fairbanks (about 348 miles), all I did was put cardboard covers on the carboys (so the glass can't bang together) and strapped them in. I also removed the airlocks and put in the waterless airlock bungs, I had to use wire to keep the bungs from sliding out (similar to a cage for champagne).

If they are done fermenting you should be fine with the above. If still fermenting, I would remove some of the wine to give extra headspace, move the carboys as above, add the wine back. That way hopefully your next post will not be wine exploded all over my car. How do I clean it. Think we had a post kinda like that not too long ago. Good luck with your move, Arne.

Back