Dried K-meta in Carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I could use some advise/direction as it pertains to K-meta that apparently dried in my carboys and how to remove it. First, a few sentences of "story" to let you know what happened.

When I moved from Montana to Washington in September 2018, I rinsed all my carboys with K-meta, emptied and inserted a silicone stopper in each carboy. I moved 20 empties. Now that I'm settled and been making wine again, I'm ready to begin bulk aging about 60 gallons (10 carboys). I seem to have hard deposits on the inside of each carboy that look like condensation that has dried. I try to remove the clear spots with my carboy brush but to no avail.

Right now I have filled all of them with a solution of water and citric acid hoping the CA will dissolve the hard, clear spots on the inside of each carboy. In the pictures below, you will see a combination of bubbles from the water and clear "bumps" that I assume are dried K-meta, that formed over months of storage. I couldn't see the dried spots before I filled the bottles with water.

Anyone know how to remove these spots?

IMG_0348.jpeg IMG_0344.jpeg

I’d mix up some onestep and use a powered brush to see if that would help. But if it’s dried kmeta you might be just as well to go ahead and start a batch, probably won’t hurt the batch and that residue might just fall off during fermentation

Back