WineXpert Wildberry Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
Has anyone made the Wildberry Shiraz??? If you have, did you spike it up a bit, and how did it turn out?

I am thinking that may be my next kit.

earl

We have made it twice and 5 lbs of sugar works great with all the Island Mist kits to kick up the alcohol and still maintain the fruity character.

I always dissolve the sugar in an equal part water and bring to boil then cool before adding to batch makeup.

Earl- same as Masta I made it with 5 pounds granulated sugar. Add the sugar to 10 cups water and bring to a boil. Allow to cool and use this as part of your water addition to the kit juice. It will give you about 1.090 SG for a final alcohol around 12-13%
smiley2.gif
Edited by: garyd

George carries a couple different kinds of yeast nutrient. Is there one that is best for kit wines?? I didn't use any nutrient when I spiked the Green apple and thought I probably should of.

earl

I have the wildberry shiraz sitting at home, just waiting to be made (it's a bit more patient about it than I am). I'm not planning on spiking it w/ sugar, though, so I can't help you with nutrient advice.

Just out of curiousity, why'd you think that you should have used nutrients with sugared green apple? Was it because the yeast were stressed and produced off odors, or because you felt that if you are already tossing things into the kit that weren't included in the box, you should toss in nutrient as well? Everyone who I have heard increasing the SG has never mentioned nutrient, but that doesn't mean that they weren't adding it.

Fish

Masta said he uses nutrient when he spikes a wine kit. I think it is to give your yeast the best chance possible to do its job. I didn't use any on the apple and my SG's were all great so it sure appears the yeast did a fine job of fermentation. I was under the impression that without nutrient you have a greater chance of a stuck fermentation.

ear.

Please let me clarify,

I have made many of the Island Mist type kits with added sugar and not added yeast nutrient. I did have an issue with a few kits fermenting much slower than normal. I attributed this to the added sugar and lack of nutrient in the kit since they don't contain all pure juice to begin with.

So my solution to prevent slow fermentations was to add some yeast nutrient. It appears to help even though I don't have any hard data to back it up.

Bottom line is this seems to work for me and I was just offering the info. Please remember whenever you deviate from the original instructions or add anything extra to your wine kit you void the warranty.

I added 10 cups to a Green Apple Riesling and it turned out great.

Just to clarify, messing with the kits voids the warranty. Does it also void George's guarentee?

Don't know. Personally, if I'd messed with a kit so much that it turned out
wrong, I'd be embarrassed to say anything to George, and I'd chalk it up to
experience. but that's just me. I get embarrassed easily.
smiley9.gif

Latest posts

Back