Wild BlackBerry Port

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Maybe.... Got to finally use the 4 gallons of blackberry juice I had in the wine closet.

My recipe thus far is

4 gallons juice
9 #'s sugar (dissolved with 1/2 gallon water (brought to almost boil)
3 tablespoons yeast nutrient/energizer
Topped fermenter off to 6 gallons.
1/4 tsp k-meta

Yeast of choice will be lalvin K1-v1116

I plan to let this ferment out to about 1.02 then transfer to carboy and some oak. I'm thinking medium french. I went to titrate it, but was empty on phenylpthaline. But I can adjust it later....... LHBS did not have the kit, but will have them next week. I figure to titrate it when I rack it. The juice was steamed, so I am not sure if I need pectic enzyme at this point, but will probably add it when I rack it to secondary.

Starting gravity is 1.104, Awoke this morning to a blown airlock. At least the mess was contained to lid of the bucket....

If you are just starting this, there is NO reason to put it under airlock....the yeast need access to oxygen during the early stages of fermentation, and with a high OG such as 1.104 you are looking at a yeast stall if you are under airlock from the get go. I would keep it in your fermenting bucket with the lid just resting on top, stir it twice a day, when your SG has dropped by 2/3 then rack/transfer to carboy and airlock.

Do you plan on fortifying this?

I would DEFINITELY get some pectic enzyme on this as soon as possible, steam juicing tends to bond the pectin (much like heating the juice when making jelly) so the enzyme will be beneficial in breaking that bond & the sooner you hit it with pectic enzyme the better impact you will make.

Sara

I do plan to fortify it. But I'm going to step feed it as well. Plan to add a little more sugar in a week. I don't know how much I'm going to shoot for as I haven't calculated it yet. I usually don't airlock it, but since I've used that yeast before I knew I was in for an eruption. Thanks for the advice on the pectin enzyme. Hopefully tonight when I get back from work the initial foaming will have toned down. I will leave the lid slightly open if it seems safe to do so.

Sara

I do plan to fortify it. But I'm going to step feed it as well. Plan to add a little more sugar in a week. I don't know how much I'm going to shoot for as I haven't calculated it yet. I usually don't airlock it, but since I've used that yeast before I knew I was in for an eruption. Thanks for the advice on the pectin enzyme. Hopefully tonight when I get back from work the initial foaming will have toned down. I will leave the lid slightly open if it seems safe to do so.

I used that yeast on my first blackberry and it sure it a foamer...I have since learned when working with that one to make sure to use a primary with A LOT of head space and I still place my bucket inside a Rubbermaid type tug. Had a friend who started a batch in a carboy and under airlock, came home from work that evening and airlock was 10 feet across the room and blackberry on the ceiling fan. I tried to tell her not to start in a carboy/airlock. She was NOT happy cleaning up.

I have not yet attempted stepfeeding when working on a port, but that is on my list this year when I start on my mulberry port.

ibglowin said:
Hey good to see you back online buddy! :b

Been lurking. Haven't been doing much wine making. My Muscadines are in their fourth season. So I should be making some more in a few weeks.

Sara,

I need to get a bigger fermenter. But got too many oars in the water right now. About to start fermenting like mad again. Been doing home repairs and lack of time/space is not an issue anymore.

Ok,

I got the pectic enzyme in 3 days ago, had a little volcano and made a mess but it was contained. Lid is not sealed, I do plan to step feed it about 4 more pounds of sugar that should boost me up to close to 18%, if the yeast can handle it. Gonna check the sg tomorrow to see where it stands....

SG this morning was 1.000, I'll have to say that was the fastest ferment I've ever had for that high a starting gravity. Guess I better get the extra sugar ready soon. Like now. Estimated ABV as it stands is 15.4%, adding 4 more pounds of sugar will get me to about 18.7% if the lalvin will take me there, Gonna add some more nutrient/energizer as well

Bob1,

Even if it doesn't fully ferment, it will help with my back sweetening.

I imagine you already added that 4lbs of sugar, but if you hadn't you could consider spiking it with some liquor instead (brandy, everclear - preference depending) for more of that port-feel.

I've still got to put together a gallon of blackberry-cherry + cognac port.. I keep slackin'

Yeah Deezil. I did add it two days ago and then air locked it. It's been bubbling away pretty good. Not as fast as I expected. Will take another reading tomorrow and see if I need to rack to carboy.

Racked to secondary this morning, it was at 1.012 and still going after adding the 4#'s sugar on the 9th.....

Still need to titrate the acidity......bout to do that in a few minutes....

Well that didn't go so well. I titrated according to directions. 15ml sample, 3 drops phenolthaline, drew up 10 ml of 0.2 NaOH. Added 1/2 ml at a time and no discernible color change. Pitched the sample cleaned the glass I was measuring in and added another 15 ml sample plus 15 ml water, added the phenolthaline, then I had a fresh bottle of 0.1 NaOH. So I added 1 ml at a time since its half the strength. Still no discernible color change with 20 ml of NaOH. I read where CO2 can screw with the reading. So I guess I'll wait until I degas it in a couple weeks and try again. Does anyone know how much water you can dilute the sample with? I had that info a while back but can't find it anywhere.

Also to keep up with the numbers. I started 6 gallons at SG 1.103, the sugar addition of 4# stepped it up to total SG 1.132, if it ferments dry that's a lovely 18%

Depending on how precise you would like to be, you will need to account for the dilution caused by the displaced wine by adding sugar.

However, that all depends on precise you would like to be on getting your final alcohol. Personally, I tend to like to play scientist.

Still bubbling as of this morning. I might make it to 18% after all (or pretty darn close)

Latest posts

Back