Why use a bottling bucket?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReefKeeper

Abecedarian
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the point to a bottling bucket. Since you'd have to rack into the bottling bucket, why not hook up the bottle filler to the racking cane and bottle straight from the carboy? Seems like an extra step and more equipment to clean.

Since my carboys are on the floor I rack up to bucket on counter so I can gravity feed to bottle. I have bad back so I don't lift full carboys, I vacuum rack everything. That last racking also let's you leave that last little bit of sediment behind and drive off the last bit of gas. Other than all that I can't think of any good reason at all. :)

Oh and welcome aboard.

Like Tony said, its a chance to get rid of that last bit of sediment. Plus your using gravity if your using the spigot vs vacuum with the racking cane.

tonyt I ask this in all seriousness because I would love to be able to do it. How do you hook up the bottling bucket to vacuum so you can get the wine in it to bottle from?

tonyt I ask this in all seriousness because I would love to be able to do it. How do you hook up the bottling bucket to vacuum so you can get the wine in it to bottle from?

There has to be a lid. :b

When my carboys have no sediment in the bottom after a long period of time - I filter my wine at that point. Let sit for another month - then bottle from the carboy.

I also do all of my bottling from the carboy using a siphon with one of those spring loaded valves on it. I top the wine right up to the rim of the bottle and when you take the cane out you always have the proper air head space. When I bottle my wife helps. I fill the bottles and she puts the corks in and give them a quick rinse in a bucket of water. We can finish 30 bottles in about 20 minutes.

I also mark the last two bottles from the carboy and drink those first to ensure that even if a bit of sediment got in it will be in the young wine.

I also mark the last two bottles from the carboy and drink those first to ensure that even if a bit of sediment got in it will be in the young wine.

That's a great tip! Mark 'em and drink those puppies first and at home.
I do worry about friends getting the bottles with sediment.

Actually, that's why I like to bottle from the bucket. I can rack to the bucket and leave behind that last little bit of sediment.

Also, for me wine from kits sometimes seems to be a bear about hanging onto that last little bit of CO2, even when degassing with a nice vacuum pump. That last quick racking to the open bucket helps.

I guess that means I am a little more concerned about my bottles having CO2 than I am with oxidation. Both problems are important for sure, but I really hate it when bottles from a kit turn up with noticeable CO2. I am always careful with oxygen exposure all through the wine making process, so my wine arrives up to the point of bottling time well protected from oxidation.

Last edited:
Thanks to all for the info. How do feel about using a bottling bucket as a primary? I've been reading about people that don't worry about it, but the owner of a local store had a hemorrhage and told me it was a "Big no, no!" due to bacteria growing around the spigot.

Thanks to all for the info. How do feel about using a bottling bucket as a primary? I've been reading about people that don't worry about it, but the owner of a local store had a hemorrhage and told me it was a "Big no, no!" due to bacteria growing around the spigot.

The most commonly expressed concern is accidentally opening the spigot. I have have never heard of bacteria as a concern.

If you properly sanitize everthing, including the spigot, there should be no problem with bacteria.

Back