Why add raisins

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just sorbated and degassed a Chilean Malbec from secondary (@.993). Adding 1# dried black currant for a month or so. Will strain them out then age (in carboy) for several more months. Similarly, 1# dried cherries to a Zinfandel,,,,,and some dried white raisins to a Sauv Blanc. Wondering what to expect? :a1

Last edited:
expectations

you should expect once you've completed, a deeper, richer and smoother tasting wine ,nothing more or less...follow the process to the finish and don't rush.....:u

If I'm learning anything, it's more patience! Finally having enough drinkable on hand makes it easier to keep stuff in the process to get to that end! Thanks Joe,, that's what I was hoping for:b

1.) has anyone tried blueberries, either frozen or dried in the secondary? I would not think for a big red but a middle road type?

I've used dried in Primary on a cheap, Vino Italian Cab. Also used raisin and banana in that primary. It's not a bad wine.

So much info,,,so little brain space! Having read much advice and many suggestions,, I've come to the conclusion that "try it--you may like it!" could be a bottom line. I do primarily the standard listed wines from juice buckets (Chilean/Californian/Italian/local Great Lakes) as the seasons go, with an occasional fruit concoction for fun. The longstanding question in my process is whether to use additives (oaks/fruits/etc) in primary or, as suggested by a local winemaker, ferment to dry THEN use the additives to impart a desired effect. Following the logic that fermentation is usually done in a neutral vessel then the product is placed in (eg.) oak barrels, I question the benefit of flavoring in the primary. Obviously it works as lotsa folks do it that way too. Just wondering about the whys/whens..

Tempted to add raisins to the feijoa wine I am planning. I am hoping they would add to the mouthfeel on what would otherwise be a sharp wine, as well as stretch out the flavor on the palate as has been suggested is a good side effect. Hmmm!

Latest posts

Back