Whoops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Catfish

Reaction score
Made some apple cider wine tonight. Followed the recipe that I found on here to the T. Everything worked great. I bought a fermenting bucket and snapped the lid on tight. Went to put the air lock in the hole. Pushed too hard. KERPLUNK.....the seal sank to the bottom of the bucket. :m

So...I had to pour all the wine back into the canning pot that i used for simmering the cider. Luckily the seal stayed in the bottom of the bucket.

Lesson learned.

I think that has happened to everybody at least once. No need to remove immediately as long as you cover the hole. If you want to ferment with the airlock though, you would need to get another right away, so what you did is good.

LOL when we did that , Hubs sanitized his whole arm and went fishing!!! it was to funny... we now know to be carful. that was our first batch... turned out good though so i guess we didnt hurt it hahhahahaa

glad to know it doesnt usually hurt anything cause i did the same thing with my batch, just sanatized my arm and reached in after it

-dan-

That's what my fiancee told me to do. But, there's no way in heck I would stick my arm down in a fresh bucket of juice. lol. With all the hair on my arm I know a few of them would get in there. ;) It just wouldn't taste the same in my mind after that. lol

From now on I will put the airlock on while the lid is off the bucket.

***Woke up 8 hours after I put the cider in the basement. It's working away. 4 more weeks and it goes into the carboy. :)

Last edited:
Back