Whole Salers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lynniemac

Junior
Reaction score
We are a new small retail business that wants to sell Home Brew supplies. We are having a terrible time finding a Whole Sale company to buy from. Does anyone have any names of where we can look? LD Carlson needs a $2000 min. 1st order and we really can't order that much until we see if we sell enough.

Thanks

Lynn

Pretty cool you are setting up a new shop. Are you doing this out of your home or do you have a seperate shop. I actually saw a thrift store last year that started selling supplies on a very small scale to see if they could make a go of it or not. Good Luck in your venture.

We own a Floral Shop and were trying to think of something else to sell. The only Home Brew supplies you can get are 60 miles away so we thought maybe it might be a good thing to sell. Really surprised how hard it is to find a supplier! at low enough prices that you can do a mark up, make some money and be low enough for the customer. We are really excited to try this! Flowers and wine go together, right :)

Lol I own a retail jewelry store and was considering adding a homebrew section. I wouldn't have to sell too much plus I already have the retail space. Not to mention getting my own supplies @ wholesale wouldn't be bad either!

Go For It!

I googled Manistiue and it looks like it's large enough that you could make it.
Since you already have the retail space, why not try it on a small scale. Stock a few of the things that people run out of and a few of the things that are needed - Hydrometers, Air-Locks, Tubeing and Chemicals. I'd put me a little sign in my Brew/Wine corner that says, "This corner of my shop is like your teeth, ignore them and they will go away, We will also". Give it a try, on a small scale, thats what made this country soo great, People taking a chance. It's kinda like Nancy said about the Health Bill, "Lets sign it so we can see whats in it." Give it a "small" try, you'll either make it or get your head chopped off.

And that's what I think.........

Semper Fi

Since you already have the retail space, why not try it on a small scale. Stock a few of the things that people run out of and a few of the things that are needed - Hydrometers, Air-Locks, Tubeing and Chemicals. I'd put me a little sign in my Brew/Wine corner that says, "This corner of my shop is like your teeth, ignore them and they will go away, We will also". Give it a try, on a small scale, thats what made this country soo great, People taking a chance. It's kinda like Nancy said about the Health Bill, "Lets sign it so we can see whats in it." Give it a "small" try, you'll either make it or get your head chopped off.

And that's what I think.........

Semper Fi

I completely disagree (respectfully). I have been in several stores that dedicate maybe 6'-12' of shelf space to wine/beer supplies. The products get lost in the stores and it looks like the shop owner could really care less about the hobby (even if this is not the case). I say take a complete section of your store and fully stock your shelves with the essential items and wine kits.
Make a big deal out of it with exciting signage. If you can't afford advertising, take advantage of Craigs list and hand bills or posters where ever you're allowed to hang them or pass them out.
Being in a floral shop you could fully stock selves in one corner of the store and then build displays of kits and carboys/primaries on the floor. This way you're not taking up a lot of real estate, not a huge investment but you have a nice presentation. Keep it fresh and exciting. Ensure someone is always there that can answer questions. DON'T LET DUST COLLECT ON ANYTHING!

I agree, RUNNINGWOLF. Your idea is much better. I was thinking on a smaller scale.

Semper Fi

In addition to what I posted earlier you could hold classes a couple times a month. Also include and invitation to the class and maybe sell gift cards to go a long with a flower purchase. I am sure a lot of women recieving flowers would love to take a wine class for fun. Then you reel them into the hobby. Be sure to have samples ready to pass out afterwards.

I'm with Dan... I think that is the way to go... Dan it sounds like you have thought about this before.... ;)

I completely disagree (respectfully). I have been in several stores that dedicate maybe 6'-12' of shelf space to wine/beer supplies. The products get lost in the stores and it looks like the shop owner could really care less about the hobby (even if this is not the case). I say take a complete section of your store and fully stock your shelves with the essential items and wine kits.
Make a big deal out of it with exciting signage. If you can't afford advertising, take advantage of Craigs list and hand bills or posters where ever you're allowed to hang them or pass them out.
Being in a floral shop you could fully stock selves in one corner of the store and then build displays of kits and carboys/primaries on the floor. This way you're not taking up a lot of real estate, not a huge investment but you have a nice presentation. Keep it fresh and exciting. Ensure someone is always there that can answer questions. DON'T LET DUST COLLECT ON ANYTHING!

In addition to what I posted earlier you could hold classes a couple times a month. Also include and invitation to the class and maybe sell gift cards to go a long with a flower purchase. I am sure a lot of women recieving flowers would love to take a wine class for fun. Then you reel them into the hobby. Be sure to have samples ready to pass out afterwards.

I'm with Dan... I think that is the way to go... Dan it sounds like you have thought about this before.... ;)

Sounds like he has. He could make a killing selling homebrew stuff to the college students down the road....

Yeah, thats the thing with selling brewing supplies, you need to have everything needed. You dont have to have every kit and stuff like that but you do need to have a ddecent assortment. If I go in to buy a floor corker and all you have is a hand corker Im not likely to buy anything there and then drive down the road to buy what I really wanted. Most of us go in to buy one thing and end up buying at least 6.

Latest posts

Back