RJ Spagnols Who is ordering Spagnols 2014 RQ Kits?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USA_WineMaker

Wine Maker Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I was just sitting here thinking; no small feat. :) I haven't been able to find many merchants who are selling this so far except one. I ordered a few of the Nero and Petit Verdot which will probably be good. I may order more of the Nero since the Nero Winexpert grape skins kit is being discontinued. I like the wine it makes.

Not me. I figure that the RJS Winery Series kits will keep me interested for a few years. Heck, I've been very happy with the results from the RJS VDV kits.

I will be ordering one of the Monastrell / Petit Verdot and that is probably it from the RQ's group. I really like both of these grapes and can't wait to see what they taste like together.

I think there was another thread about this someplace but I can't find it...

-Josh

Yes, the Petit Verdot should be very nice indeed. I look forward to receiving them.

I ordered the Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc yesterday and it is supposed to be available for pickup on December 1st. I have never done a white "kit" before and want to try one. I am thinking about holding some of the juice back and using to backsweeten after fermentation is over and adding sorbate. I am sure this has been done before, any comments on holding some of the juice back?

Thig

FIRST TIME OUT, I wouldn't, IF THE KIT PLAYS OUT THE WAY THEY ADVERTISE IT NEEDS TO STAND ON IT'S OWN,THAT MEANS THE FULL PROCESS,THEN YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO JUDGE (WHAT IF),JUST MY THOUGHTS.......................................:d:d:d..THERE ARE SOME ENHANCEMENTS I CAN SEE,BUT THAT'S ANOTHER THOUGHT:HB

Good idea. I will just play it by the book on this one, there will be more to follow I am sure.

Thig

I plan to do all five if the finances hold up ,they look outstanding.:b

I just ordered both the Italy Nero D'Avala and the Monastrell/Petit Verdot. Only have 1 other RQ or Limited . That was RQ Pinot Gris last year - still in carboy. trying to find time to bottle. Are they better then the regular?

I ordered the RQ Nero and Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc. Also going to do the Meglioli Sicilian Primativo.

I only make white wine kits these days as I do reds from fresh grapes now. I ordered the Semillon/Sauvignon Blanc from RJS as well as the Pacific Quartet from WE and the Ken Ridge Australian Riesling Gewurtztraminer Chardonnay. That should keep me busy this Spring.

Well after a bit of time Joe, Did you make the Semillon Sauvignon Blanc and if so did you do any enhancements? If not, would you change anything if you made it again.

I just picked one up so was looking for thoughts

thx

FIRST TIME OUT, I wouldn't, IF THE KIT PLAYS OUT THE WAY THEY ADVERTISE IT NEEDS TO STAND ON IT'S OWN,THAT MEANS THE FULL PROCESS,THEN YOU HAVE THE ABILITY TO JUDGE (WHAT IF),JUST MY THOUGHTS.......................................:d:d:d..THERE ARE SOME ENHANCEMENTS I CAN SEE,BUT THAT'S ANOTHER THOUGHT:HB

The reply you quoted here was in response to something I said. I did make this kit and followed the instructions and it turned out great. Joe probably has some suggestions for improving it however.

adjustments

THERE are some wine types to tweak and some not to the one thig is doing I haven't started yet, but do you remember the Thompson seedless grape fpac I made, that is what will go into the primary to add some cushion to the mix, the flavors themselves should stand on their own but I would still boost the alcohol to my standard of 1.10 and then follow the process. On the pacific quartet it is finished and that excellent. I should be bottling that one soon and will show the finish product on my thread, so far I think that the sharaz /viognier is without question the kit to make in everyway, these blended kits at the high end of the dollars are well worth the value and effort for the end results.:u

IMG_20140828_160755526_HDR.jpg

THERE are some wine types to tweak and some not to the one thig is doing I haven't started yet, but do you remember the Thompson seedless grape fpac I made, that is what will go into the primary to add some cushion to the mix, the flavors themselves should stand on their own but I would still boost the alcohol to my standard of 1.10 and then follow the process. On the pacific quartet it is finished and that excellent. I should be bottling that one soon and will show the finish product on my thread, so far I think that the sharaz /viognier is without question the kit to make in everyway, these blended kits at the high end of the dollars are well worth the value and effort for the end results.:u

Thx Joe

I will look for the posts about your F-Pack. I was originally thinking of 1 lb of golden raisins in the primary with a tbsp of tannin

I agree with you on the RQ sharaz/viognier. I picked up another one of those as well and will also be doing one for a friend. Great Kit. Have you seen the new Winery Series Winemakers Trio? I will be making it after i burn through a few other kits. ..... so little time.

Cheers

Back