White wine not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrussell

Reaction score
My yakima Pinot Gris has been sitting for a month after adding fining agents and is still slightly cloudy. Have not had this problem before. Would like some suggestions as to what I should do at this point. Thanks in advance, Ron.

Need some more information..

Assuming this is a kit?
Start date/SG?
Finished SG?
Did you degas?
What fining agent did you use?
Add any other additives?

My gut says to rack it off any sediment and degas it thoroughly... Then wait some more... Or just leave it for a few more weeks, depending on the fining agent you used.

It was a cellarcraft kit, started3/6 sg 1.098. Ending sg. .998. Fining agents used were kieselsol/chitonsan. I degassed per instructions and also hooked up my vacuum pump to it and could not get any bubbles to come up. Also added sorbate, k meta, and flavor reserve as per instructions.

Can you see any layering in the remaining particles?

How warm was the room/wine, when you hooked up the vacuum pump?

I would give it another 2 weeks and see if theres any progress.

I have had several wine take over 6 months to clear completely. I have a raspberry mead right now that I started in December that is now starting to look great. I never worry why just know if I wait long enough, it will get there. Warm it up, degas again then bring it down to about 55(so so) Add some more finings if you like.
And add some K Meta, white wine oxidizes a lot easier than red.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back