White Rose' Blend?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

jas3019

Reaction score
This might be sacrilege but I'm wondering if it's ever been done. I've searched a bit and haven't found anything on it. Has anyone ever used a white wine base with a red wine grape to macerate and essentially make a rose wine? From what I've seen, rose is either macerated/free run red grape juice or a white wine/red wine blend, not what I'm talking about.

So my thought is...making a red wine out of a juice bucket with added grapes for body. Either not using all of them or just using the spent red grapes to add to a white juice bucket and make a rose. Is that crazy? Maybe use syrah grapes with viognier juice to create the inverse of a syrah/viognier blend? What do all the way more experienced winemakers say?

Edit: Note that I'm dumb and couldn't spell "White rose blend" in the title. Too much "whine" to drink before posting this :)

Last edited:

Johny99

Reaction score
I've had a rose made by adding some red grapes to a white grape juice and fermenting. The reason I was given: sagine' (sp?) is picked for a red, so it is out of balance for a rose; pick reds for a rose and it takes more grapes and you don't use all the good stuff as well as get some unripe flavors; their method meant both red and white were picked for maturity and the right balance.

I haven't done it but it makes as much sense as blending a red and a white, which I've never done either. In full disclosure, I've made one rose by sagine' (bleeding). It was OK but I did it to concentrate my Sangiovese and just couldn't waste the juice:h

Last edited:

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Whine rose blend?

Your not crazy. You have foresight. Winexpert did it last year actually. A Sauv Blanc base with a red F- the "rules" F-pack for the Rosè color.

Saignée (looked up the spelling) is taking out and using the pre-pressed excess wine, making the remaining wine more concentrated. Seems like old world wine snobs around the world will frown upon anything that isn't the standard. Not me. I am definitely digging how Rosè is gaining popularity and being made with different techniques.

Last edited:

salcoco

Veteran Wine Maker
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
many commercial wines are made buy blending red wine with white. I would ferment each separately and then blend once wines are clear. you can adjust color and also taste.

Floandgary

Bottle at a time
Reaction score
Been doing Juice buckets (Chilean in spring and CA/Italian in the fall) for some time now and decided to make my own version of a "BLUSH" (not to be confused with a true ROSE'). Component wines made separately... 2.5 part Riesling @.993sg, 2.0 part Gewürztraminer @.993sg, 1.0 part Sangiovese @.990sg. Back sweeten w/simple syrup to @.996sg. Serve well chilled!! My "Rosy German"

jas3019

Reaction score
So the consensus is to ferment the red and white separately? I was thinking I could coferment them but that's probably really tricky to get the ratios right at the beginning.

Ajmassa

just a guy
Reaction score
Maybe not. Depends on how much red needed, correct? Shouldn't need too much. Just enough to get the Rosè color might not cause any problems.
I added the whole red pack up front in the The white Rosè kit. Not grapes but same principle. And such a small ratio. I forget the amount. Maybe 1 liter out of the 23 liter batch.