White Rose' Blend?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas3019

Reaction score
This might be sacrilege but I'm wondering if it's ever been done. I've searched a bit and haven't found anything on it. Has anyone ever used a white wine base with a red wine grape to macerate and essentially make a rose wine? From what I've seen, rose is either macerated/free run red grape juice or a white wine/red wine blend, not what I'm talking about.

So my thought is...making a red wine out of a juice bucket with added grapes for body. Either not using all of them or just using the spent red grapes to add to a white juice bucket and make a rose. Is that crazy? Maybe use syrah grapes with viognier juice to create the inverse of a syrah/viognier blend? What do all the way more experienced winemakers say?

Edit: Note that I'm dumb and couldn't spell "White rose blend" in the title. Too much "whine" to drink before posting this :)

Last edited:
I've had a rose made by adding some red grapes to a white grape juice and fermenting. The reason I was given: sagine' (sp?) is picked for a red, so it is out of balance for a rose; pick reds for a rose and it takes more grapes and you don't use all the good stuff as well as get some unripe flavors; their method meant both red and white were picked for maturity and the right balance.

I haven't done it but it makes as much sense as blending a red and a white, which I've never done either. In full disclosure, I've made one rose by sagine' (bleeding). It was OK but I did it to concentrate my Sangiovese and just couldn't waste the juice:h

Last edited:
Whine rose blend?

Your not crazy. You have foresight. Winexpert did it last year actually. A Sauv Blanc base with a red F- the "rules" F-pack for the Rosè color.

Saignée (looked up the spelling) is taking out and using the pre-pressed excess wine, making the remaining wine more concentrated. Seems like old world wine snobs around the world will frown upon anything that isn't the standard. Not me. I am definitely digging how Rosè is gaining popularity and being made with different techniques.

Last edited:
many commercial wines are made buy blending red wine with white. I would ferment each separately and then blend once wines are clear. you can adjust color and also taste.

Been doing Juice buckets (Chilean in spring and CA/Italian in the fall) for some time now and decided to make my own version of a "BLUSH" (not to be confused with a true ROSE'). Component wines made separately... 2.5 part Riesling @.993sg, 2.0 part Gewürztraminer @.993sg, 1.0 part Sangiovese @.990sg. Back sweeten w/simple syrup to @.996sg. Serve well chilled!! My "Rosy German"

So the consensus is to ferment the red and white separately? I was thinking I could coferment them but that's probably really tricky to get the ratios right at the beginning.

Maybe not. Depends on how much red needed, correct? Shouldn't need too much. Just enough to get the Rosè color might not cause any problems.
I added the whole red pack up front in the The white Rosè kit. Not grapes but same principle. And such a small ratio. I forget the amount. Maybe 1 liter out of the 23 liter batch.

Latest posts

Back