WHITE OUT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthernWinos

Reaction score
They were saying we were having White Out Conditions....

It was snowing pretty good, looked okay to us....

snowSmall-2.jpg

We thought it would be a good day to go fishing....
Went to town a filled up the gas tank on the jalopy as well as the propane tank for heating the fish house....
Candy bars for a Survival Kit....
The roads were getting pretty bad already....
Drove to the lake....
Started down the access...
Backed out....

It was White Out there all right....

lakeSmall-1.jpg

We called it a 'Drive By' and came home...

Guess we are just a couple 'Candy Butts'...

ColdSmall.gif
ColdBig.gif

HAHA You should know better from MN !
Weather can change alot in 20 or so miles.

I would have went fishing.............

Couldn't have been a whiteout inside the shanty...........

Is there a place to sleep, cook etc in there?

Is it insured?

If it is, do you have a good "Shanty Clause"........
smiley36.gif

You do have a GPS right? If you had a bearing to it, no problem! Except for the six foot drifts to get stuck in, it was blowing so hard there shouldn't be that awful much snow- right?

By the way Jobe- that was REALLY BAD!!!!
smiley36.gif

Jobe...we would have went fishing but we couldn't see which way to go....Someone had plowed out a road last week, but we couldn't see the beginning of the road.

It is dark inside the shanty so you can see into the water....There is no place to sleep, the heater isn't for cooking...and there is only space to stand up...no lights.

We drove by the back of the lake and could see our neighbors were out there...They are set up in their big house not far from us....They have lights, stove, fish fryer, sleeps 6....Hope they get home okay....if not they will be okay as long as the propane [heat and stove] and gas for the generator [lights] lasts....

It's really snowing heavy now....

<h3>Hazardous Weather Outlook</h3>

DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

SNOW...HEAVY AT TIMES...WILL FALL TODAY IN NORTHWEST AND WEST
CENTRAL MINNESOTA. THE SNOW WILL SLOWLY TAPER OFF AFTER MIDNIGHT...WITH
STORM TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS FROM 6 TO 9 INCHES.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SUNDAY THROUGH FRIDAY

DANGEROUS WIND CHILLS TO 25 BELOW ZERO ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY MORNING.
THERE IS THE THREAT FOR LIGHT SNOW FOR ALL OF NORTHWEST AND WEST
CENTRAL MINNESOTA ON TUESDAY...WITH ANOTHER POTENTIAL SNOW MAKER
FOR LATER IN THE WEEK.

Gee...

</pre>

And for a change...

<h3>Winter Storm Warning</h3>
A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6
AM CST SUNDAY.

MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW WILL CONTINUE THROUGH TONIGHT. TOTAL
SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 10 INCHES WILL OCCUR BY SUNDAY
MORNING. THE SNOW MAY BE HEAVY AT TIMES WHICH COULD SIGNIFICANTLY
REDUCE VISIBILITY. WIND CHILLS TO 30 BELOW ZERO WILL ALSO DEVELOP
LATE TONIGHT AND PERSIST INTO SUNDAY MORNING.

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF
SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. ONLY TRAVEL IN
AN EMERGENCY. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...
FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

This is turning into a pretty nasty winter...When it warms up [above 0°F] it snows.

Our neighbors have been trying to get their baby Baptized...Was suppose to happen tomorrow morning.
Services have been canceled twice...That poor girl has been making potato salad and fixings each time.
The father is out on the lake as well as the God Parents...

</pre>

NW, Will you please keep that junk over there. Don't send it on to Wisconsin

And you know it's important to plow that road to the fish house!
CROOKSTON — The man who drove the county’s loader onto, then through, the ice into the Red Lake River early Monday here in Central Park was fired Tuesday.

“It looks to me like I lost my job,” Mike Raymond said. “Today, they sent me a letter. It pretty much tells me I’m done, but I can appeal if I want.”

He’s worked for the Polk County Highway Department for almost 28 years.

function photoFull (URL) {
day = new Date();
id = day.getTime();
eval("page" + id + " = window.open(URL, '" + id + "', 'toolbar=0,scrollbars=0,location=0,statusbar=0,menubar=0,resizable=0,width=510,height=510,left = 137,top = 84');");
}

<DIV id=related_content>
<TABLE =related_content cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=208 align=left>
<T>
<TR>
<TD align=left colSpan=2>
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=1>
<T>
<TR>
<TD>
<DIV =wrap> </TD></TR></T></TABLE></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD style="FONT-SIZE: 9px" colSpan=2>Polk County employee Mike Raymond drove the county’s loader through the ice on the Red Lake River early Monday. (Photo submitted by Polk County.)</TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD colSpan=2>
<H2></H2></TD></TR>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top width=20>
site_doc.gif
</TD>
<TD width=175>Polk County snow remover rides loader to bottom of Red Lake River </TD>
<TR>
<TD vAlign=top>
site_doc.gif
</TD>
<TD width=175>Stephen J. Lee Archive</TD></TR></T></TABLE>“He was a good employee,” said Richard Sanders, head of the department, pointing out Raymond’s long tenure since being hired in 1981. But Raymond clearly violated the department’s work rules in a big way, he said.

Sanders met Tuesday with other county officials about Raymond’s deed, and decisions were made, although all the details aren’t finalized, he said. Nothing official will be said publicly yet about Raymond’s fate, except that he is on paid administrative leave and would be disciplined, Sanders said.

But Raymond told the Herald about his pink slip.

“I don’t know what I’m going to do,” he said.

Raymond was working a graveyard shift moving snow off the parking lots of county buildings when, in the early hours of Monday, he decided to drive the 9-ton John Deere 544 loader about five blocks to Central Park and clear snow off the city’s boat ramp used in the winter by ice fishermen to put their fish houses on and off the river.

Several fish houses are within a few dozen yards of the boat ramp, and some were in use Tuesday.

Another man said the fish weren’t biting Tuesday.

An older man and a young boy pulled a sled filled with fishing supplies down the boat ramp, walking past the hole left by the loader, to their fish house, hunched against the below-zero temperature and bitterly cold northwest wind.

Raymond said he decided to clean snow off the boat ramp to help out everyone who uses the river in the winter but acknowledges it wasn’t his job or the county’s.

The loader slipped down the ramp, onto the ice and sank into the river, he said.

It was 2:15 a.m. Monday when Raymond called 911 from the partly submerged cab of his loader.

Raymond has a fish house on the river, too, a few yards from the ramp. But he wasn’t clearing a path to his fish house, as some said on TV news reports, he said.

Sanders won’t say much about it, but it’s clear he’s not entirely sure of the accuracy of Raymond’s account of how the loader ended up in the river.

Damage

The loader was about 20 feet from the boat ramp when it broke through the ice and settled down to the bottom, submerged about 6 feet into the water and mud. The water line could be seen Tuesday, about a foot up the window in the cab, and the tall tires obviously had been sunk into mud. The engine was submerged, although it kept running for hours until it was pulled out about noon Tuesday, Sanders said.

The starter and battery were damaged by the water and pulled off Tuesday, after the loader thawed out in the county shop. Water got into the transmission, so that has to be fixed, and the hydraulic system might have to be redone, too, but so far, it appears the engine did not take on water, Sanders said. Some lights were broken, and the bottom step on the ladder into the cab was bent badly, and one tire got serious rips, probably from some rocks or cement pieces in the river, he said. There’s no final estimate yet on what the cost of all the damage will be, he said, but it easily will amount to thousands of dollars in parts and labor.

The loader was bought new less than two years ago, on a special deal through a state contract, for $127,000 but would have cost about $150,000 at retail prices, Sanders said.

It took about five hours for a private contractor in town using a loader and a back hoe to pull the loader out of the river, and that will cost about $1,500, Sanders figures. It also required the county’s dive team to help hook up the chains.

Sanders said the incident clearly was an unauthorized use of county equipment by Raymond during a time he was supposed to be working on county parking lots moving snow during the graveyard shift. The worst aspect of it all was that Raymond easily could have been killed if the water had been much deeper and the loader had tipped over, Sanders said.

He’s never had this drastic a misuse of county equipment by an employee, Sanders said. But there was enough of a problem that he had to make things clear last year to employees.

2007 memo

A year ago, Sanders sent out a memo on the subject, so all 35 employees of the department would be clear about the policy prohibiting personal use of county equipment.

“It has been brought to my attention that individuals are using Polk County equipment for personal use and are continuing to smoke in Polk County vehicles,” Sanders wrote in his memo dated Dec. 19, 2007, to all highway department employees.

“There is a current policy in place for use of county-owned small equipment. You are to ask (he names two supervisors) for their use. Large equipment such as trucks, motor graders, loaders and tractors, etc., is not to be used under any circumstances. Such use will result in immediate discipline, which may include termination.”

Raymond, who is in his early 50s, grew up and attended high school in Crookston. His father worked for the state highway department.

Raymond didn’t go ice fishing Tuesday.

“I didn’t really feel like it,” he said. “Besides, it was a low-pressure system today. Fish only bite when it's a high-pressure system, usually.”

We do carry a GPS and sometimes make a trail...and do have the positions marked...

However...many people have pulled their fishing and spearing houses off the lake due to flooding...Leaving large blocks of ice and holes under the snow...it is very important to try to follow a road or path...if you can see one....Some roads lead to a old fishing spot....Or like in the above post...some roads lead to an open hole.....

We decided we need a snomobile...
smiley4.gif

Didn't waste the day...Got all kinds of year end chores done as well as new year chores...Like sorting receipts, cleaning out the receipt box...printing up the end of year Quicken stuff and starting new year accounts...

Tallied up most of my medical bills...[thank goodness for health insurance]....Filed many papers....some in the trash/recycling.

Sorted out the outdated farm and seed catalogs...Just another day in the new year....

Have my seed order made out, just have to go over it and call it in.
Waiting for some plant catalogs to make up an order for Blackberries for the 'Wine Garden'.

So...made use of the snowy afternoon....
smiley4.gif

Now, it has stopped snowing and the temperature is going to plummet, winds are going to pick up and drift all this fluffy stuff around...so it goes on the frozen plains.

hannabarn said:
NW, Will you please keep that junk over there. Don't send it on to Wisconsin

Hannabarn.....Get your snow blower and shovels ready...it's on the way....
It's only snow....No BIG deal.
smiley5.gif

It is 10AM on Sunday and we only have a couple of inches with a mild wind so maybe you are doing a good job of keeping it out of my territory,NW! Thanks

Well i'm outside of Philly. Have not received and measureable snow yet. I will be watching the EAGLES play from the dome in MN. I hear its COLD there. It's in the 30's here.

Here's what you northern folks need - just to get out to your wine cellar - cool huh?

20090104_121243_file00024.jpg

Nice rig rrawhide...That would be fun in the snow. We parked the Gator for the winter....a tad chilly with no cab.

We got a good dose of snow...kept more than our share here in the North.

Found out who had plowed the big road across the lake that went near our spear house....

It was the towing people...The had to rescue a pickup that went through the ice out on the back side of the lake...they drove next to a beaver house and went through....No one was hurt.

Our friends barely made it off the lake last night....The 4 wheel drive went out on his truck and he had to get towed backwards all the way off the lake....So it goes when you search for adventure.....

Hope that I can say Hi before I continue to have computer problems.... I'm on a computer that has been in a closet since 2005 since our other one crashed. Hope you all are doing great....enjoying the winter....82 here yesterday...

Im here at least trying to be.....possibly a new computer is the answer!! Don't know..... Ramona

That's why you are working two jobs....for toys...right????

BUT, these days a computer isn't considered a toy....It's a necessity....

Latest posts

Back