which size carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Simmons

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
silly question, I need 2 more carboys (too many going at one time now), do I get a 6, 6.5, Italian, etc, etc?

Help! Please!
smiley17.gif

You can never have to many....
Don't forget to check craigslist in your area!!!

I just picked up 4, 5 gallon carboys for $5 bucks each.

I use a 6 gallon to start kits, But then have to rack down to a 5, with some more in smaller jugs. (or top up the 6)

If you are planning on using it mainly for kits..... I would go with a 6 gallon.

If making kits go for the 6 gallon ones. Kits usually tell you to top off to 6 gal mark. If you feel you lose to much during transfer and aging go with a 5 just keep some 1.5 ltr and 1 gal bottles handy if needed.

Ferment in a plastic bucket in the primary.

I have a 6.5 and only use it for the first racking while there is still
some fermentation going on as it helps with the extra head space. I
would say go with the 6 gallon carboys as they will be more suited for
your kit type wines.

The 6.5 are normally used as a primary fermenter. I ferment a 5 gallon batch of beer in a 6.5. Go with 6 and 5 gallon. If you only do kits, stick with 6. It is good though if you have room and the budget to have a variety. I have 1, 3, 5, 6, 6.5 carboys.

Why don't they make a 5 1/2 gallon carboy. It would be perfect for racking after primary fermentation.

I rack very tightly and transfer sediment over to make sure that I never have to rack down to 6. Out of about 100 kits I have only had to top up about 3 times. You will be racking several times so dont be sg=hy to not worry about some lees transfer. I only use 6 gallon carboys for kit wines.

I've got 11 carboys in various stages of wine making. I keep the limited editions, megliolis, and 16L kits at 6 gallons the entire time. I rack the 10L kits down to 5 gallons and use the excess to top up the 6-gallon kits. I usually need about half to two/thirds of a bottle to top up.

Wayne

Latest posts

Back