Which of these steps can I postpone for 3 days?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bostaevski

Junior
Reaction score
Yesterday I started a W.E. Selection estate columbia valley riesling. After i put everything away I went mark my calendar for the next step and that's when I realized: I'm going out of town this Thursday!

I actually have 3 different kits that all have something going on that day. Which of these can I postpone till I get back 3 days later?

1) W.E. Riesling: says to check SG 5-7 days later and if below some amount rack to carboy for secondary fermentation. Thursday will be day 5... if the SG is at the required level that morning should I rack to carboy? Should I rack anyway instead of leaving it until Sunday night? Would be easier on me to leave it otherwise I have to do this step around 5:30 AM, a few hours short of the full 5 days.

2) Island Mist Raspberry Merlot: By my calendar it will be finishing secondary ferm. on Thursday and then needs to be stabilized, f-pack, isinglass, etc.

3) US Elite Cab. Sauv. is basically just clearing and needs to be racked. I assume this can wait.

Thanks,
-Ian

I would not really worry bout any of them as they are all protected but 2 or 3 would be the best to leave alone.

Rack the Reisling before you leave unless not to at least 1.025 which it will likely be below. Don't fill the secondary too full or it could overflow while you are gone. Leave it half way up the slope of the upper part of the carboy. If above that SG, leave it while you are gone. Be sure to put the lid on the primary and an airlock if you leave it until you get back.

The other two kits can wait with no problems.

Dang you Wade. You type faster than me or else I got carried away watching the WEC Fighting!
smiley36.gif

LOL !

So you BOTH have fast fingers.

Good info

RDWDAGOYW

Relax Don't Worry Drink a Glass Of Your WINE !!!

I personally wouldn't worry about any of them. The one in the primary, if it is fermenting in a bucket that has an airlock hole I would snap the lid on tight and install an airlock. There will be enough CO2 to protect the wine for a few days. Even if it were to ferment to dry in the primary you can still rack it to secondary to finish an little last bit fermentation as well as to stabilize and clear. Don't sweat it and enjoy your trip.

Latest posts

Back