Where do you get your bottles?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where do you get your bottles?

• Online Store

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Local Brew Store

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Friends and Family/ re-use

Votes: 13 56.5%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 5 21.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello all, im new to posting on the forum, but have been viewing for a while. You all seem to get your bottles from different places and im just curious of where the majority lies.

I get the majority from local winery. They will save and have two plus cases a week and I get a varsity of bottles.

My friends and family are basically a bunch of drunks and they save empty bottles for me. Here is my current stash of about 50 cases, de-labeled and cleaned. I had to stop them about a year and a half ago but I can turn them on again easily.

100_0779.jpg

100_0780.jpg

Wow that's a lot of bottles I have a hard job finding people to give me bottles. I now have a policy if they want a bottle they have to give me a empty

I buy most of mine. It's certainly not the cheapest way, but once I have the bottle, it stays in the rotation. I was getting bottles from family and friends, but hated the inconsistency in color/size/shape. Buying isn't too expensive when you reuse them.

I have a friend who owns a country store that also retails alcohol. he also takes in empties from his customers for return so I usually ask him to save me whatever I'm looking for in terms of style or uniqueness.

I too have friends that save their bottles for me, but I don't have near the stash as Rocky! I also can call a local restaurant and they always save their wine bottles, I go on a list and then they call me when they have a case or 2.

I've found some great picks via Craigslist. About 10 cases of used cobalt blue bordeaux from a local winery. Nearly 50 cases of used-but-never-labeled bottles from a local small farm winery that decided to call it quits. I also found a glass wholesaler about 1.5hrs away. New bottles for about 40% less than LHBS, new 'transition' bottles for even less. They also carry carboys and corks.

Back