Where do you ferment your wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
I'll get started.
during the summer i leave it out in the garden shed.
during the winter, i leave it in the boiler room with the light on.
turning off the light drops the temperature and can lead to a stuck ferment.

I only started wine making recently, but I do everything in one room in my basement.

Winter temps drop to the low 60* and summer gets as high as the mid 70*'s.

When the temps get too low for fermentation, I put the fermenter on a pad set on low.

Michigan basement with no heat. Stays cool all year round. I partitioned off a small section to use as my wine making area. I use a brew belt or portable heater to keep everything at the temp I need.

Unfortunately, I have no basement. I use a spare room which I've turned into an office/wine room. Temp stays at low 70's.

My winemaking buddy 4Score and I go big once per year. We ferment a ton at a time (3X this year) in the garage, in macro bins.

8B762A19-211D-4F4D-97D6-6B50B996C653.jpg

My wife almost divorced me when buying our current home.

Due to my winemaking requirements, purchasing the right home took a year..

I have a converted wood shop in the basement. Half of it is below grade for temperature control, and the other half is at grade level. It has double steel doors to the outside WITH NO STAIRS!!!!!

This shop also has it's own heat zone. I can kick the temp to the wine's needs without any effect on the rest of the house.

When it is finished, I simply go through a door to the finished portion of the basement (AKA, the man cave)...

I hit the jackpot on this one.

Sounds like a great place, JohnT. I do my work in the basement and I have to carry everything through most of the house to the cellar steps. I wish I had a "walk out" lower level but central Ohio is like a billiard table. When we built the house I wanted to put a Bilco Door access to the basement but I was shamed out of it by my daughter's idiot former husband who said, "You mean like they had in old farm houses?" I kick my self every time I have to hump stuff through the garage, mud room, kitchen and hall to the cellar steps. In Rochester, I had a second set of stairs in my garage and that was great. I could back into the garage by the steps and slide everything down a chute or carry them directly down the steps to the cellar. I also wanted to do that here but the design of the house did not allow it without major rearrangement.

In my kitchen. Luckily it is fairly roomy, but I am limited to a maximum of like 12 batches at any one time. Comfort is more like 4-6.

All the finished wine goes to the basement for storage.

My winemaking buddy 4Score and I go big once per year. We ferment a ton at a time (3X this year) in the garage, in macro bins.

8B762A19-211D-4F4D-97D6-6B50B996C653.jpg

My hubby wants to know where you got the Macro bins. He has been looking for them to purchase for his company and can't find them to order.

I started out on one folding chair in a sun room off my livingroom. Then I moved down to my work bench in my work shop. Once my son went to collage I took over his bedroom in the basement. The room is about 16 X 20. has it's own heat. Some days It still isn't enough room. Bakervinyard

Everywhere! Where the temp is right depending on time of the year and phase of the wine. May be bedroom, kitchen, basement, basement hallway and closet! Primary ferm always in kitchen

My small supplies...chemicals and all are in boxes on the pantry shelf, my primary is always in the kitchen, my secondary are usually sitting in the kitchen floor, once bottles they go in my wine rack and I have stacks of donated bottles on the garage so yeah everywhere! But we are building a new house with a designated wine room off the garage with separate temperature control.

In the basement. It is actually cooler down there in the summer. Warmer in the winter with the furnace on. So cold in the summer with the A.C. on that I sometime turn the heat on in my sewing room which is also in the basement.

Mary Lou

I keep my fermenting wine in the furnace room. Bulk aging corboys and bottles in the cellar. Much cooler temps

In my basement. The temp varies from 65 in the winter to 75 in the summer. I have a chest freezer controlled by a BrewPi if I need precise temperature control.

Primary, always in the kitchen. Secondary as well till there is next to no bubbling in the airlock. Then into the basement. I have in floor radiant heat, so I could do everything down there, except I dont have a sink in the basement. My racks are in the storage room, always dark, no windows, always the same temp. Maybe 5 degrees difference summer to winter.

Primary for me is in the basement "guest/music" room. When dry I move it to the room next door "lab" for racking/aging.I place my pails on one of those wheeled plant stands and just push it to the next room.
When building I thought I would have a room of my own for winemaking, but got into bulk aging and can't keep the room warm enough for fermenting.(poor hubby says I'm taking over the entire basement lol)
I store and age bottled wine under the stairs.

Back