WineXpert When you say

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferb

Reaction score
Bulk aging a kit, does that mean to complete the kit as the directions say then let it sit in carboy for 6 months? Or do you wait to do final steps after the 6 months? Should you rack it a second time time into another carboy of let it sit as is?

I have a ton of questions.. The first kit I have done was reserve du château from Amazon. Looking to purchase a WE Barolo kit and don't want to mess it up

After you have cleared, racked out of secondary and added sorbate and Potassium Metasulfite.

I would say that either could be considered "bulk aging." Some will do one of those procedures, others the other. And still others will forgo the final steps of the kit, which are degassing and fining, entirely; instead, they will let time take care of the gas and the clearing.

Personally, I do all of the steps in the kit (except for adding sorbate), albeit on a more leisurely schedule. Then I let it sit for about 2 or 3 months in the carboy, then I bottle and let it age there for another year or more.

complete the kit as the directions say then let it sit in carboy for 6 months

Complete the kit, short of bottling.
top off carboy.
Wait 2 months.
Rack, add 1/4 tsp K-meta, top off.
Repeat rack/K-meta/top off every 3-4 months.
Somewhere between 6-12 months (longer is better), bottle.

I follow the kit instructions up until it says to bottle then rack to a fresh carboy and bulk age. 4-week kits get 2 months bulk aging followed by 2 months bottle aging. 6-week kits 3 & 3 and if I ever do 8-week kit it will be 4 & 4.

BTW, if you're interested in a quick drinker... I've now done 4 Dragon Blood recipes and I'm drinking likable wine in about a month's time.

Last edited:
What's the benefit of bulk aging? Why not go straight to bottle?

What's the benefit of bulk aging? Why not go straight to bottle?

You very well could provided that the wine is properly degassed (it might not develop right otherwise, but there are some inherent advantages to storing the wine in bulk versus bottles. Finding a space for 30+ bottles to sit for an extended period of time may be more difficult for some versus a single carboy. Wine in a carboy will be subject for more uniform environmental conditions (temperature in particular), too, whereas bottles may not. The most important advantage is that wine in bottles is easier to drink!

sediment is the number 1 difference if it goes straight to the bottle you end up with all the sediment in the bottle where as aging in the carboy you can rack off the sediment. Going straight to the bottle with that much sediment could produce a re fermentation which results in bottle explosion:se and off taste Plus with aging it in carboy you get to take a taste to see how its coming along:b and it degasses itself and it clears very nice! I bulk age all my kit wine at least 6 mos

So I've read on this site some people add K meta every 3-4 months (in addition to the post fermentation k meta, during stabilizing) why is this necessary when you wouldn't do it if it were in the bottle?

So I've read on this site some people add K meta every 3-4 months (in addition to the post fermentation k meta, during stabilizing) why is this necessary when you wouldn't do it if it were in the bottle?

Well, in one case, the wine is sealed into a closed vessel, and in the other case it is essentially open to the gases in the environment.

Well, in one case, the wine is sealed into a closed vessel, and in the other case it is essentially open to the gases in the environment.

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't the wine in a carboy be protected by an airlock or solid bung?

Maybe I'm missing something but wouldn't the wine in a carboy be protected by an airlock or solid bung?

I think what you are missing is that the bung seal is not nearly as complete as a cork seal. In addition, most people (myself very much included) can't resist opening that every so often, just to see how things are tasting. Every time that is removed some of that SO2 mixes with outside air.

You very well could provided that the wine is properly degassed (it might not develop right otherwise, but there are some inherent advantages to storing the wine in bulk versus bottles. Finding a space for 30+ bottles to sit for an extended period of time may be more difficult for some versus a single carboy. Wine in a carboy will be subject for more uniform environmental conditions (temperature in particular), too, whereas bottles may not. The most important advantage is that wine in bottles is easier to drink!

Some of us consider that to be an dis-advantage:e

Back