When & why filter

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrug

Reaction score
My wife bought me a filter for Xmas last yr. I have not used it yet. When do you filter? Also why do you filter? Obviously I know nothing about filtering. Any info is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you take a clear wine, then filter and compare, you will see why folks do it. It will shine.
Not necessary but impressive.

From what I read, it is a presentation issue, and not taste. For now, I am focused on taste.

Some say that they can taste the difference (worse) of filtered wine. It takes something away.

I think you would have to be doing some hardcore filtering to affect the taste.. I filter prior to bottling

Just curious seth what filtering system do you use? Thinking about changing up when the funds are available
thanks

Have heard 50/50 about tastes/flavours/something changing after filtering. So much depends on the state of the product pre-filtering (how much solids) as to whether or not you'd notice a difference. Also lets not forget the differences in tastebuds throughout the population!!! Hence the 50/50

I never filter my reds, but always filter my whites. I love it when they sparkle. To me it just makes the whole wine drinking experience that much better.

I use a bon vino super jet (3 plate filter) and have just acquired a 6 plate filter, but have yet to use it.

I have filtered reds even down to 1 micron with no changes in flavor. The only issue with flavor that I have ever observed is the "paper" taste that comes from plate filters like the mini-jet and super-jet. I seem to be quite sensitive to that even after rinsing the filters well. With the common whole house filter cartridges talked about here I don't find any difference in taste before and after.

I have filtered reds even down to 1 micron with no changes in flavor. The only issue with flavor that I have ever observed is the "paper" taste that comes from plate filters like the mini-jet and super-jet. I seem to be quite sensitive to that even after rinsing the filters well. With the common whole house filter cartridges talked about here I don't find any difference in taste before and after.

I have noticed that, but It always seems to me to fade over time.

Back