When to start fermentation?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cibb

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've read a lot and probably next week I will be starting my first ML Fermentation. I'm curious is there an advantage of doing it just as initial yeast fermentation has completed vs waiting until fermentation has completed rack and then perform the MLF.

I'll be using CH-16 for my MLF if anyone is curious.

I've read a lot and probably next week I will be starting my first ML Fermentation. I'm curious is there an advantage of doing it just as initial yeast fermentation has completed vs waiting until fermentation has completed rack and then perform the MLF.

I'll be using CH-16 for my MLF if anyone is curious.

There have been many discussions on this topic, this being the most recent thread:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=57673&highlight=Inoculate

You're better off waiting a couple weeks, or so, and that is because you want to be sure to have all the products of fermentation racked off the wine so that you don't run into H2S problems. And actually, there is no rush to MLF as long as you keep the airlock on the carboy and aren't opening it up frequently. So wait until the lees are compacted, then rack and start your MLF.

I'm considering that but I'll be out of town for 3 days and my fermentation is well underway at this point. I guess I'm scared something will go wrong in that time and ruin it all.

Back