When to stabilize Cabernet Franc?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hey all.

Looking for some advise. Generally i make a Zinfandel or a Merlot wine, this time around, i'm actually trying a Cabernet Franc from Chile to see how the grapes will taste, and to compound matters, i'm trying a Cabernet Franc which i have never made before. It has just begun fermenting, but at what point on my hydrometer reading should i start thinking of stabilizing my wine? i was thinking about stabilizing between .998 and 1.002 but i was looking for a slightly more educated range from someone who has made it before. :) thanks in advance!
Edited by: garaxiel

Welcome garaxiel. Just let the Cab Franc ferment to dry which will be a little lower than what you suggest. It is easier to add just a bit of sugar back if you want it that way after stabilising than to try to stabilise when it isn't finished. It should go down to about .995.

As Appleman say, let it go to dry. Anything under 1.000 is considered dry. Letting it get to 0.995 to 0.998 will help with the mouth feel and balance the wine and as Appleman says you can back sweeten a tad to taste. The process shouldn't be any different than when you have made your Merlot of Zin's.

Excellent!! thank you both very much :)

and i have never added sugar back to a wine after i stabilize it. is there a specific kind i want to add back should i choose? and how will that effect my stabilizing of the wine? i guess really im asking if there is a whole process to do it so it doesn't begin fermenting again?

Edited by: garaxiel

Part of the stabilizing procedure is the addition of the k-meta and then k-sorbate. Once that is in you can add regular table sugar water, that has cooled, to your taste- just try not to overdo it. Do it in a small sample first, then adjust the amount to the whole batch. The sorbate will keep fermentation from re-beginning. You need the k-meta in it first to keep the sorbate from possibly giving the wine a geranium smell.

Latest posts

Back