When is it ok to have a bug in your carboy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneStarLori

Veteran wino, newbie vintner
Reaction score
The answer is, when he is part of the glass. lol

I looked at this for a long time before I figured out what it was. I couldn't even see the tentacles until I took the picture using macro. Then I noticed the bubbles around him.

I guess it's ok if he stays because I'm not throwing this carboy out. He might add some complexity anyway.

bug1.jpg

bug2.jpg

I was going to say... When it is empty!

That's really neat, did you pay extra for that particular carboy?
smilie.gif

Oh yeah, nice closeup photo.

Last edited:
Lori, yuk!!!!! I know its part of the glass, but still. Anyway you have a very weak point in that carboy. Clearly don't use any vacuum pump or anything like that. ok this has really gotten to me. I keep trying to type anything and I get ant over and over.

If you bought that new I would contact the seller. Not sure you should mention which company it was tho. No sense asking for trouble.

Pam in cinti

Guess the Quality Control person was gone that day. Weird but cool...

I have used this carboy for a few months now. I knew there was a spot inside the glass, but not till today did I decide to see exactly what it was. I can't even remember where I got it so returning it is not an option. I think it may be a leftover from my husbands beer making days a decade ago.
I have used it with the AllinOne with no problems. There are also several bubbles in the glass but I don't think it's comprised.

I'll just think of this as my Jurassic Park carboy. ;)

Similarly, I got a buggy batch of bottles from my homebrew store. There were lots of bugs of all sizes cast into the glass, and in about half the bottles in the case. They were the tall bellissimo ones I was using to bottle the port I was giving away as Christmas presents, so I couldn't possibly let the critters stay. I considered trying to return them but could not imagine how that conversation would go.... I'd be the crazy bug lady. :) So they were recycled. Now I check the bottles, guess I need to check carboys too!

I really don't think it's a bug, if it was, at the point where it did get imbedded the glass would still be molten and would have burned up the bug.
What you got is possibly what they call a stone and one that big would be considered a reject.
On the second photo I think I see a few fractures originating from the stone.
I'd take the carboy back if you can and using it would make me uneasy as that stone for sure reduces the strength of the glass.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I really don't think it's a bug, if it was, at the point where it did get imbedded the glass would still be molten and would have burned up the bug.
What you got is possibly what they call a stone and one that big would be considered a reject.
I'd take the carboy back if you can and using it would make me uneasy as that stone for sure reduces the strength of the glass.

clight385, get some glasses, for your eyes not wine, clearly is a bug and not a stone. Still is pretty cool.

I cant get quoting to work but looking at it I have to agree, it looks like some stuff I've got in bottles before.

I'd get the wine out of there fast because that does look like cracks extending from it.

Not "clearly" a bug, not clearly not. But if you look close it does appear to have cracks extending from it. Those aint anntenna.

I think clight might be right. I blew up the image and it looks more like a stone.
That's not as cool. :(

Now it looks like a really little black Jelly Belly.

bug3.jpg

I have been using this carboy for a while. I'm not nervous. It's just sitting there clearing right now undisturbed. I'll put the wine in a new one in a few days.
Trust me, none of this looks as bad as it does in the pictures. If it was a bug, it would be about the size of a flea.

I would return it for a new carboy. That is a weak spot in the glass just waiting for the wrong temperature gradient or vibration. And you don't need another reason to WHINE.

Back