when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Process in review

I always add the chems at the end of the process and with the final clearing agent,(allowing for the final clearing) all prior to the bottling process, because I need to see what my changes have done to the process, and when I know that the changes are effective then in most cases ,I chem,fine and filter (not always ) and bottle with in a reasonable time frame. This is just my way of making sure the wine is where I want it to end up.

TONYT ..go back to this pages thread and the process is all there, for the right side of Texas...jp

Okay Maestro Joe, I went back and read the entire Sang. process, I should have looked back farther before posting. Questions/Comments: The oak tannin you use must be quite different from the Tancor Grand Cru that I use, Tancor only suggests about a tablespoon per six gallons. Also I didn't see your notes on secondary, did you added raisins in secondary? I can't wait to try that on my next kit. And I have never heard of the "age line" interesting, I'll start noticing that now.

Last edited:
adding the oak powder/raisins

adding the oak to the secondary is like layering a sauce, first you do the basics, then you enhance, my version of the additions will always be different then that of the mfg...lets say your kit comes with oak chips, you add them into the primary,right,until completed, but in the secondary is were the transformance begins, In my version I place the powder in the secondary to start to build the structure and texture of the finished wine.:u

RAISINS,in the secondary, once again primary is completed the basic wine is ready for transformation in to something else, or you can keep it on it's charted course.raisins in the secondary (1lb. per.6 gal.),they will start a second fermentation on their own, very small bubbles the raisins should rehydrate and give off their essence after a while the bubbles will subside and the transformation is complete, remove at will, and allow to set for a week, then move on to next phase of the wine making process, as normal.:u

sangiovese the circles complete

:u

:uFor all of you who have been following this thread, go back and review the pictures go back and review the verbiage go back to the very beginning of the thread when we started the preparation moved on through to the bottling and the final label ,. This was an interesting journey a lot of the stuff together and for that I say thank you, Katie and I worked hand-in-hand to make this tutorial as easy and simple as possible for the beginners and hoping that in some way we helped out some of the seniors on this winemaking form, doing wine my way is not always easy and it does not always work , but when it does and it does more than not the dividends are very rewarding ......... G back and review the pictures from beginning to end................ yours, JP:u

Joe and Katie - you are the best! :b I have a Sangiovese on its way to me right now! I will follow your steps all the way and look forward to the results. This is exciting. I am always looking for a bargain and this seems like a great one. Keep teaching us. I think I speak for most of us following this thread and this forum, we greatly appreciate your expertise and patience with us all.

First I would like to say that I have enjoyed this thread very much.... Especially since normal is hardly ever part of my life! I also must add that I currently have Chilean Malbec, Chilean Merlot and a kit of Sangiovese currently sitting in a secondary with a pound of raisins in each.. But Question now is this.... I belong to a few different forums (This one being my favorite) and have read discussions on raisins in some others.... Some concerns brought among many is the aging of the wine after the additional sugar and sulfite from the raisins has been added. I admit the verbiage got a little too technical for me and I really do not want to step on your thread with the quotes... But I guess my question is what type of repercussions could I expect if any from this out of normal addition? Should it be drank faster and not aged for as many years? Will I have a clearing problem? Anything else I should know? I realize the addition of raisins was used a lot in the primary...

Joe and Katie, Thanks for a great tutorial. Very nicely described and documented. Now all you need to do is send me a split so I can judge the results! Just kidding! I do appreciate this information. Thank you!

Sdelli. Raisins will not change the drinking time line much if any on higher end kits in my experience. For kits less than 15ltr it might add a few (6) months to the aging. But isnt that the point to make a kit better, time is part of the equasion. For higher end kits and thosr with grape packs I dont think raisins causes more aging. You should already be giving it a year or so to mature. As far as extra sulfites on the raisins thats just some folks over thinking things just rinse the raisins prior to adding then in. BTW those other forums dont have joeswine.

Last edited:
rasins in the wine

:u SDEELLI

go back and re-read this thread on sangiovese, it will be clear to you on what to expect and what not, follow the process and yes aging will improve this your kit to a certain extent, remember it is a kit to be consumed with in a certain life cycle, try not to over think the process,it's really simple, go back re-read then let me know what your real concerns are.:u

PGD.....EMAIL ME WITH YOUR ADDRESS...:ib

Wonderful, Joe. Thank you very much. I have already incorporated some of your techniques into my winemaking. The results have been amazing. I have several reds that already taste like they have aged for years! I can't wait to sample them next year.

Thank Kate for me! You guys are awesome!

<-- Katie. I'm glad everyone enjoyed our tutorial. It's a great learning experience for me, too, working with Joeswine!

Cheers!

Katie

Joe, what a great education for an old man who just started last year. I have read the entire post 3 times now and I am about to start my red.

Once again - thanks amigo!

bottling in the end

This was an experiment in time with an inexpensive wine kit. We used a wine expert wine kit with the addition of enhancements. We added 1 lbs. of raisins in the secondary and powdered oak (also in secondary).
We since completed this wine kit and its wonderful like we expected. We are sending out (5) 375oz bottles of this to other people on the forum for testing. We would like your honest opinion about this wine.
Stay tuned for their comments!:u
Cheers,
Joe and Kate

ingredients n tools.jpg

stirring wand.jpg

sanitized bottles.jpg

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

funnel.jpg

filling the bottles.jpg

wine line.jpg

seals.jpg

dip in boiling water.jpg

labeled (1).jpg

joe, you need to get the all in one wine pump for racking....lol/

Great job, I have a wine kit in secondary, a chilean malbec, and am interested about adding oak chips in secondary...

Joe and Katie - you have inspired me to use this technique on a couple kits. I have a Williams Brewing Zinfandel in secondary now after adding 3 oz light toast chips to the primary and adding 3 tbsp tannin and 10oz zante currants to secondary. This is a 5 gallon batch so I adjusted the amounts from your sangiovese a little bit.

Also, I have that same sangiovese in primary now and will add raisins and tannin to secondary in a week or so. May consider additional oak as well but will wait and see.

I will keep everyone posted as to the progress. I'm excited.

Geek

:u I have a all-in-one pump, the reasoning behind the manual set-up is for those who still do it in the manual fashion, not all can afford a electrical pumping system, I also have a Bruno mini jet pump and a 1/4 horse lift pump with a 3/4 inch outlet can pump 6gallons in 5/6 seconds, manual is a good format at this point for this thread, but the next one will indeed show how to use a electric pump, thanks for following, send the address...................jp:u

Questions

ARE, there any questions before we move on to PARTY KITS?????????????????????????????????????????????????:HB

UP NEXT PARTY WINE KITS AND KICKING UP THE ABV.:try

Latest posts

Back