when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
super Tuscan II

Hi Joe,
So, I am looking for a starting Sg of 1.075 -1.100?
Corinth

Starting sg

THAT IS CORRECT THIS IS A MUCH BETTER STARTING POINT FOR WINE MAKING THEN AT A LESSER STANDARD,YOUR MAKING WINE A MED. BODY RED WITH OAK,THE WINE WILL HAVE A GOOD BALANCE..:dg

Last edited:
Super tuscan

WHILE WERE IN THE PRIMARY I'M GOING TO MOVE THE FIRST PHASE FORWARD FOR REVIEW....:mny

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

8b.jpg

8c.jpg

SUPER TUSCAN phase two

finally after 9 days it's ready to move on to the secondary stage.:dbthis was a transition that you are going to experience a kit that will put you to work ,almost as close as you will get to a actual crush experience with out real grapes, very cool.:wy..take a look ...............there will be sludge in the bottom and floaters on the top,siphon from the middle down, understand? take your grape skins and a deep pot ,using a colander place.. the skins into the colander and squeeze the juice out of them then disguard, add this juice to the base in a clean carboy, then you'll have some left in the bucket screen out what you can and add it to the carboy, don't worry about the sludge you've just added ,we will start a pre -cleaning with the addition of superkleer in the secondary as well as degas at the same time ,this is a awesome kit ,it has every component that you could want in a bottle of wine, take your time ,go slow and stay the course.:wy..notice I have my headspace eliminator on ,very cool tool..

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Last edited:
Super tuscan

up date.....added the clearing agent and the basic chems that came along with the kit, the taste is good if your allow it to roll all over your mouth you can taste the wines worth at this point. I added wine tannins and a oak round to beef up the acidity, in the next two weeks will take a readings on the PH and see where it's at, other then that the wine will have to mature on it's own ,so far so very good.:br

1.jpg

starting sg should be between 1.075 and 1.1o

What brand are those instructions from?

Not RJS Winery Series(and if they are, not a newer one) as Corinth mentioned. My instructions that I read, read 1.095-1.100. That is from a 2014 RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan.

With the numbers your instructions for Brand X, the final ABV will be anywhere from 10.5 - 13.0.

Ok, I looked back and see you are comparing apples to oranges, your kit is a WineXpert. Corinth had asked about an RJS, which reads differently.
RJS kits, for the most part, always call for a SG of 1.095-1.100 to start.

Last edited:
Hi Joe,
So, I am looking for a starting Sg of 1.075 -1.100?
Corinth

As DJ points out, 1.075 would be low. However, a lot of the sugar is in the grape pack. I just made this very kit. Before adding the grape pack, the SG was 1.078. A day or two after adding the pack, the SG rose to 1.096. (I used a slow-starting yeast, BM45, which gave the sugar some time to dissolve before the SG started declining quickly due to fermentation.)

What brand are those instructions from?

Not RJS Winery Series(and if they are, not a newer one) as Corinth mentioned. My instructions that I read, read 1.095-1.100. That is from a 2014 RJS Winery Series Super Tuscan.

With the numbers your instructions for Brand X, the final ABV will be anywhere from 10.5 - 13.0.

DJ, this is the WE LE 2014 Super Tuscan. It looks promising to me so far!! Yum.

As DJ points out, 1.075 would be low. However, a lot of the sugar is in the grape pack. I just made this very kit. Before adding the grape pack, the SG was 1.078. A day or two after adding the pack, the SG rose to 1.096. (I used a slow-starting yeast, BM45, which gave the sugar some time to dissolve before the SG started declining quickly due to fermentation.)

ditto on the SG for this kit, I made it too.

Super Tuscan

okay lets take it from the top.:d see the base line sg before grape PAC. After grape PAC and then capitalization potential abv is at 14%..that and the oak and tannins plus the 1/2 cup of raisins in the primary will give this SUPER TUSCAN all it can handle without being over powering .
before capitalization it was at 13% WITH ONE QUART OF SIMPLE SYRUP ADDED IT CAME UP TO 14% SORRY FOR THE PICS CONFUSION.

13.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

17a.jpg

Last edited:
SUPER TUSCAN phase two

:dbracked twice , added Chems and added fining agent and re-cleared,tasted very nice.:db.still very young :spm but a real winner...............:pic

26.jpg

1.jpg

Last edited:
Super tuscan

LETS RECAP THE SUPER TUSCAN IN REVIEW AT THIS POINT IT'S JUST SITTING I WILL PROBLY BOTTLE IN ONE WEEK ,THAT'S HOW I LIKE IT TO AGE SO THAT I CAN TAKE GOOD TASTE AS NEEDED:sm...FOLLOW THE FLOW..

1.jpg

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

8a.jpg

8a1.jpg

Super tuscan continued

THE FLOW CONTINUES IF THERE SOMETHING YOU HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT...:slp JUST ASK..:sm

8b.jpg

8c.jpg

9.jpg

9a.jpg

10.jpg

10a.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

12a.jpg

13.jpg

Super tuscan continued

IT'S A LONG READ HAVE PATIENTS....:slp... IT EXTENDS OVER 24 PHOTOS THERE'S A LOT TO DO AND SO LITTLE TIME TO DO IT!

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

20a.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

24.jpg

25.jpg

26.jpg

Super tuscan continued

SO FAR SO GOOD AT FIRST TASTING THE BITE WASN'T WHAT I WAS LOOKING FOR (NEED MORE ) SO I RACKED DOWN TO A- 5 GALLON CARBOY -WILL DEGAS AT THAT POINT. THE PH WAS AT 3.6 SHOULD BE AT LEAST 4.0 TO .5 WILL LET IT REST, THEN ADD SOME MORE LAYERS OF FLAVOR.:db.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back