when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sangiovese the prince of italian reds

MY SECOND FAVORITE ITALIAN RED IS SANGIOVESE SMOOTH RICH AND BALANCED FOLLOW ME AND MY VERSION OF THIS OUTSTANDING ITALIAN RED FROM BEGINNING TO BOTTLING IN TWO PHASES............:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy:wy

1 Our Kit.jpg

2 Preparation.jpg

3 The type of yeast.jpg

4 Add half gal  of hot water.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stirring bentonite.jpg

7 Open juice.jpg

8 Dump juice in.jpg

9 add half gal to bag.jpg

THE FLOW CONTINUES.............:wy............LAST PHASE TO COME THE DEGASSING AND BOTTLING,THEN THE WAIT AND TASTE.......................................:try

10 Top up with another gal spring water to 6 gal.jpg

11 stir up.jpg

12 added 2 bags french oak.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

14 write SG on  tag.jpg

15 hang tag on pail.jpg

16 Raisins.jpg

18 added to carboy.jpg

now we let it rest,,,,,:HB.....remember what I had stated making wine was like making a sauce, by adding flavor at different points we layer the structure of the wine and try and create a well balanced product. Don't be afraid to explore your taste buds and always think outside the box. bottling:b the finally will follow..

16 Raisins.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

18 added to carboy.jpg

19 siphon with wedges.jpg

20 good stir (480x640).jpg

21 headspace.jpg

22 SG reading.jpg

23 Nitrogen.jpg

24 Wrap with towel.jpg

Last edited:
sangiovese

Hi joe,
what is that cannister that you were using on your carboy that you were working one?

Thanks.
Corinth

corinth

if your asking what the carboy is sitting in it's a mike crate I use them everywhere.:db

Hi Joe, I did not explain myself well,
What I meant was that steel cannister that you were turning on.
Corinth

Super tucan

I WILL BE STARTING MY SUPER TUSCAN TODAY BUT I FIRST WANTED TO GET SOME HISTORY ON THE WINE WITH OUT BECOMING OVERWHELMED WITH IT,SO HERE'S IT IN A NUT SHELL,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
SUPER TUSCAN Super Tuscanshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tignanello_BMK.jpg

Tignanello one of the early Super Tuscans.
Super Tuscans are an unofficial category of Tuscan wines, not recognized within the Italian wine classification system. The origin of Super Tuscans is rooted in the restrictive DOC practices of the Chianti zone prior to the 1990s. During this time Chianti could be composed of no more than 70% Sangiovese and had to include at least 10% of one of the local white wine grapes. Producers who deviated from these regulations could not use the Chianti name on their wine labels and would be classified as vino da tavola - Italy's lowest wine designation. By the 1970s, the consumer market for Chianti wines was suffering and the wines were widely perceived to be lacking quality. Many Tuscan wine producers thought they could produce a better quality wine if they were not hindered by the DOC regulations.[6]
The marchese Piero Antinori was one of the first to create a "Chianti-style" wine that ignored the DOC regulations, releasing a 1971 Sangiovese-Cabernet Sauvignon blend known as Tignanello in 1978. Other producers followed suit and soon the prices for these Super Tuscans were consistently beating the prices of some of most well known Chianti. Rather than rely on name recognition of the Chianti region, the Super Tuscan producers sought to create a wine brand that would be recognizable on its own merits by consumers. By the late 1980s, the trend of creating high quality non-DOC wines had spread to other regions of Tuscany, as well as Piedmont and Veneto. Modification to the Chianti DOC regulation attempted to "correct" the issues of Super Tuscans, so that many of the original Super Tuscans would now qualify as standard DOC/G Chianti. Most producers have brought their Super Tuscans back under legal regulations, notably since the creation of the less restrictive IGT Toscana designation in 1992 and the DOC Bolgheri Sassicaia designation in 1994.[6]
In addition to wines based on the Sangiovese grape, many well known Super Tuscans are based on a "Bordeaux-blend", meaning a combination of grapes typical for Bordeaux (esp. Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot). These grapes are not originally from the region, but imported and planted later. The climate in Tuscany has proven to be very good for these grapes. One of the first successful Super Tuscan based "Bordeaux-blend" was Sassicaia, by Tenuta San Guido, now classified as DOC Bolgheri.

Super Tuscan

super tuscan follow the flow ,remember i thought and planned this out first...

1.jpg

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Super Tuscan

LAST BUT NOT LEAST.....:slp.........PAY ATTENTION WHEN YOU OPEN UP THE FPAC CUT THE END AS THEY DESCRIBE,TAKE YOUR TIME AND HAVE A BALL.............GREAT KIT ,GO SLOW....................:mny.ONCE I CAPITALIZED THE WINE WITH 1 QUART OF SIMPLE SYRUP THE FINAL ABV WAS AT 14% WITH A PH OF 4.0..THIS WILL BE A DEEP RICH ROBUST ITALIAN RED WHEN FINISHED...STAY THE COURSE.........
SUPER TUSCANSuper Tuscans[edit]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Tignanello_BMK.jpg
Tignanello one of the early Super Tuscans.
Super Tuscans are an unofficial category of Tuscan wines, not recognized within the Italian wine classification system. The origin of Super Tuscans is rooted in the restrictive DOC practices of the Chianti zone prior to the 1990s. During this time Chianti could be composed of no more than 70% Sangiovese and had to include at least 10% of one of the local white wine grapes. Producers who deviated from these regulations could not use the Chianti name on their wine labels and would be classified as vino da tavola - Italy's lowest wine designation. By the 1970s, the consumer market for Chianti wines was suffering and the wines were widely perceived to be lacking quality. Many Tuscan wine producers thought they could produce a better quality wine if they were not hindered by the DOC regulations.[6]
The marchese Piero Antinori was one of the first to create a "Chianti-style" wine that ignored the DOC regulations, releasing a 1971 Sangiovese-Cabernet Sauvignon blend known as Tignanello in 1978. Other producers followed suit and soon the prices for these Super Tuscans were consistently beating the prices of some of most well known Chianti. Rather than rely on name recognition of the Chianti region, the Super Tuscan producers sought to create a wine brand that would be recognizable on its own merits by consumers. By the late 1980s, the trend of creating high quality non-DOC wines had spread to other regions of Tuscany, as well as Piedmont and Veneto. Modification to the Chianti DOC regulation attempted to "correct" the issues of Super Tuscans, so that many of the original Super Tuscans would now qualify as standard DOC/G Chianti. Most producers have brought their Super Tuscans back under legal regulations, notably since the creation of the less restrictive IGT Toscana designation in 1992 and the DOC Bolgheri Sassicaia designation in 1994.[6]
In addition to wines based on the Sangiovese grape, many well known Super Tuscans are based on a "Bordeaux-blend", meaning a combination of grapes typical for Bordeaux (esp. Cabernet Sauvignon and Merlot). These grapes are not originally from the region, but imported and planted later. The climate in Tuscany has proven to be very good for these grapes. One of the first successful Super Tuscan based "Bordeaux-blend" was Sassicaia, by Tenuta San Guido, now classified as DOC Bolgheri.

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

19.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, I personally wouldn't trust those PH strips, that PH should be high being at 4.0.
Time to get a real PH meter ......:)

Super Tuscan

I have used them since I've started wine making and they get you close enough for a kit, I don't need high tech to make a better then good wine.:hug and since the ph. is a direct playoff of what comes with the kit it should be spot on for this one, with or without high tech my fine vino friend...:hug..

19.jpg

Super Tuscan

I'm MOVING FORWARD THE FLOW FOR THE SUPER TUSCAN..THERE ARE A LOT OF MOVING PARTS TO THIS KIT...............:wy

1A.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8a.jpg

8a1.jpg

8b.jpg

8c.jpg

super Tuscan II

Hi Joe,
I hope life finds you and your family healthy and happy.

I purchased The Winery Series Tuscan kit. It came with two jars of merlot skins, a large mesh bag for the skins, One large packet of Oak shaving, over 42 lbs of wine The yeast is EC-118. The brand is RJ Spagnols.Should I use a different yeast or is EC-118 adequate

I have read the instructions and compared them to yours, a couple of small variations.

Since I have two rather large jars of grape skins, I am assuming I do not need the raisins in the primary or do I?

I would like to start today as I have all my ducks all in a row.
Advice?

Thanks,
Corinth

Amarone the king of italian reds

Corinth,
Thank you. we are all well.
I would add a 1/2 cup of raisins to the primary.
Did you get any dextrose with this kit? If not, 1 quart of simple syrup to the primary should do ya good.
Joe

Latest posts

Back