when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Shelly I got my first red kit with skins the other day too. I want to tweak it but it comes with skins and wood so about the only thing I will probably do is more tannin. It came with 2 different bags of wood that are supposed to be put in at day one. I saved one for later in the process. So maybe tannin and 2nd oak chips at about 1.02. Like I would normally do with raisins and tannin.

If anyone has any other ideas, I love to hear them. Hint, hint... Joe

Cabernet continued

cabernet moved forward........:u here's were we are ,the wine has left the primary and in glass in the secondary, at this point we need it to relax and become itself, the wines taste at this point is oaky, great legs and has a earth but with a hint of grape at the finish ,it's young but it's what a cabernet should be ...........the addition of the black Corinthian grapes was spot on for this style of wine............

Winexpert Cab contents pic 2.jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (1).jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

3 The type of yeast.jpg

Corinth picture.jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (2).jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (4).jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (5).jpg

20131219_191154.jpg

Last edited:
Cabernet process with grape pack foward

Balance of process.......:hb AT THIS POINT THE CAB IS AT REST WE'LL MOVE ON TO ANOTHER PROJECT AND COME BACK SOON.

REMEMBER THE SG WAS AT 1.10 WHEN WE STARTED =ABV 12/13 %
THE ACIDITY LEVEL WAS AT 3.6
THE COLOR IS INK BLACK AND VERY EARTHY IN TASTE WITH A SLITE FINISH OF GRAPE

JANUARY 22 ,THE BASEMENT TEMPERATE JUST DROOED 2 DEGREES DO TOO THE SNOW OUT SIDE ,NOT A PROBLEM THE CAB IS AT REST........IT WILL ACTUALLY HELP WITH THE CLEARRING PROCESS.......

12 added 2 bags french oak.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

19 siphon with wedges.jpg

23 Nitrogen.jpg

24 Wrap with towel.jpg

Last edited:
Amarone

THE KING OF THE ITALIAN BIG REDS.

IN THE BEGINNING :mny

RAISINS AND TANNINS ADDITION TO THE MIX...........................................................................:br

WE WILL ALSO CAPITALIZE THE WINE..REMEMBER THE PROCESS FOR MAKING SIMPLE SYRUP?

DO YOU REMEMBER THE DEFERENCE BETWEEN BACK SWEETING AND CAPITALIZATION?

DO YOU REMEMBER WHICH OF THE TWO PROCESS WILL INCREASES THE ABV?

IT'S FUN TO THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

PLANNING OUT YOUR WINE PROCESS SHOULD BECOME SECOND NATURE ,IF NOT TAKE THE TIME TO READ AND UNDERSTAND IT,IT IS YOUR BIGGEST ALIE AND WITHOUT IT YOU WILL BE LOST,ASK QUESTIONS,THAT'S HOW WE LEARN AND ABOVE IT ALL HAVE FUN.........................................................LET THE WINE BEGIN...................................:mny

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

16 Raisins.jpg

Last edited:
Amarone

RAISINS AND TANNINS ADDITION TO THE MIX...........................................................................:br

Hey Joe..... Here is one for you to consider. I just started it last week..... Should make a great summer drink. WineExpert Special Chocolate/Orange Port!

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

I can't wait to do that one. It's on the short bucket list.

Sent from my iPhone 5s

Chocolate /orange [port

I HAVE MADE THIS A VERY LONG TIME AGO,THIS KIT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE,I COULD SEE THE ADDITION OF ORANGE ZEST AND PURE COCOA POWDER AT A HIGH RATE 60%, ALONG WITH SMALL AMOUNT OF TANNINS STARTING AT A SG OF 1.10...............BLENDED OUT WITHOUT ANYMORE ABV............................:u

Amarone moving forward

GO BACK TO SEE THE LAY OUT THEN MOVE FORWARD.............:u

PREPERATIONS............:sm

LET THE WINE BEGIN :f1

4 Add half gal  of hot water.jpg

5 bentonite.jpg

6 stirring bentonite.jpg

7 Open juice.jpg

8 Dump juice in.jpg

9 add half gal to bag.jpg

10 Top up with another gal spring water to 6 gal.jpg

11 stir up.jpg

12 added 2 bags french oak.jpg

13 take SG reading.jpg

I HAVE MADE THIS A VERY LONG TIME AGO,THIS KIT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A WHILE,I COULD SEE THE ADDITION OF ORANGE ZEST AND PURE COCOA POWDER AT A HIGH RATE 60%, ALONG WITH SMALL AMOUNT OF TANNINS STARTING AT A SG OF 1.10...............BLENDED OUT WITHOUT ANYMORE ABV............................:u

So it sounds like you don't like this kit..... You rather start with a regular port kit and make the adjustments on your own?

port kits

WHAT I MEAN IS THE KIT IS A GREAT BASE TO DEVERT FROM,BUT THTA'S JUST MY WAY.:wy

Cabernet in review with black corthinian grapes

CABERNET IN REVIEW..IT'S ABOUT 58 TO 60 DEGREES IN THE BASEMENT SO THE WORK IS SLOW JUST LIKE THE WINE MAKER..:)

If you've ever had currant buns, or any other baked product with "currants" in them, you, like 99.9% of the public, thought the "currants" were the little red fruits that grow on bushes. Nope.
The dried "currants" used in baking are actually a true raisin, a dried grape. Called "currants" because one of the names of the grape they come FROM is "Zante Currant" also known as Black Corinth, and many other names, THIS is the variety dried INTO "currants" that are used in baking.
Black Corinth is the name you will usually find it under in America, though in recent years it has become known as "the Champagne grape" due to advertising by a produce dealer who specializes in it. Ironically, there is an old American grape called "Champagne" that is a very coarse, rough tasting labrusca grape of low quality, about as far FROM Champagne as you could get.
Black Corinth is a very odd grape in many ways. In it's natural state, the clusters have very few berries and they are hardly bigger than pinheads. In wild grapes, the sexes are in separate vines, male flowers on one, female flowers on another. This is true even in wild Vitis vinifera, the classic grape of commerce. Black Corinth is an "almost male" in that the flowers have well developed anthers, and very tiny ovaries, probably representing a first step towards evolution of a perfect flowered grape. Hence, when it does set fruit, there are only a few per cluster and the berries are tiny and seedless. However, the variety was doubtless kept as a source of pollen so that the female flowered varieties would set full crops.
How did Black Corinth come to be used at all, if the berries are so few and tiny?
It's a very old variety, probably Greek, and the story goes that a donkey was tied to a vine of it and the animal started going around the vine until the halter rope rubbed the bark off. Instead of dying, the vine healed the wound and the grapes, which were minuscule in other years, were large enough to eat after the vine was girdled. There is certainly a grain of truth in the fable as girdling was a standard practice in increasing the set and size of seedless grapes until the discovery of the plant hormone gibberellic acid and it's ability to do the same thing with less labor.
Girdling, or hormone treatment, causes the clusters to set full crops, though the berries are still tiny. Because the stems also remain tiny, the berries can be eaten with the stems on. This makes the variety seem very dainty and rather glamorous (thanks especially to articles showing frosted clusters of them with glasses of champagne - hence the "champagne" grape) and home growers who have seen this decide that Black Corinth would be fun to grow., which is too bad because it's NOT a home grower's grape.
First, of over 200 varieties in my collection, it is the most susceptible to powdery mildew. As pure Vitis vinifera, it is also completely susceptible to all the other diseases of grapes - downy mildew, black rot, etc. And since it comes FROM such a mild country, it can't be counted on as being hardy to much more than 0°F. But more than anything else, unless the vine is treated with hormone at bloom time, or girdled, the berries are minuscule and the clusters are straggly. So while it looked romantic in the magazine, it's NOT worth the work for most homeowners. Buy the fruit in the store, if you must, but don't bother trying to grow it.
Black Corinth - the grape that's a Currant (Zante) that's a grape.

Black_Corinth_picture.jpg

corinth grapes 3.jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (1).jpg

Bellie Band or Brew Belt.jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (7).jpg

20131219_191154.jpg

Last edited:
Cabernet the long version

CABERNET THE LONG VERSION:seTHE Cabernet:
Aroma- oak
Tastes a bit of smoked oak, nice cab flavor.
Nice and dry, Not thin, but not a full bodied wine. Needs to sit
CAB IS THE SECOND FROM THE RIGHT TASTING NOTES TO FOLLOW..........STARTED 12/19/2013

13 take SG reading.jpg

17 Powdered Oak.jpg

20 good stir (480x640).jpg

23 Nitrogen.jpg

24 Wrap with towel.jpg

Picture of wines 2-8-14.jpg

Last edited:
Taste profile at this point

TASTE PROFILE AT THIS POINT FROM 12/19/2013

Cabernet: (started 12/19/2013- Winexpert Selection Kit with added Corinth grapes)
Aroma- oak
Tastes a bit of smoked oak, nice cab flavor.
Nice and dry, Not thin, but not a full bodied wine. Needs to sit

THE CAB IS THE LAST ON THE RIGHT..THE PROFILE IS PRVIDED BY OTHERS..........

Picture of wines 2-8-14.jpg

Expresso cello

where going to take a side step while the cab is resting that will be done shortly I WANT TO PRESENT TO my version of a

EXPRESSO cello: DEEP DARK SMOOTH AND LUSCIOUS AT THE FINISH WITH A TASTE OF CHOCOLATE

THIS will also give you SOME time to regroup and get you ingredients together to make it along with US ,OK ?

OVER ALL RUNNING TIME 1 MONTH FROM START TO A GREAT FINISH :mny

IMG_20140302_111805452.jpg

P1030121.jpg

P1030112.jpg

20130516_193423.jpg

Last edited:
The mix

Espresso Cello
What we used:
9 cups espresso (this is your base) (1 ball jar)
½ ball jar simple syrup
½ ball jar coffee bean extract
½ cup EVERKLEER
WHAT NEXY? Add your base (all the espresso, dump in the pot.)
Next , add the coffee bean extract (little at a time, to taste).
Then, add simple syrup to taste, a little at a time.
The, taste to see if the ACHOLO LEVEL. Is good. Most likely, it will need more.
Add EVERKLEER to taste, make sure to not put too much that it overpowers.
Once you are happy with the results, pour back into (2) clean ball jars and put the lids back on. It should sit a day or so to blend. Then you are ready for bottling.
Espresso Cello
What we used:
9 cups espresso (this is your base) (1 ball jar) REMEMBER IT'S YOURS MAKE IT THAT WAY...

1 Our Espresso base.jpg

2 add coffee bean extract slowly.jpg

3 don't add the beans.jpg

4 stir up good.jpg

5 add a little more extract to taste.jpg

6 then add simple syrup to taste.jpg

7add more everclear to taste.jpg

Last edited:
Cabernet sauvignon

This kit is a Winexpert Selection Series Cabernet Sauvignon. This kit has the following included.

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 1 Packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee Yeast
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Sorbate
· Package of Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· 2 Packages of Premium Oak
We are going to reconstruct this kit and take it from a medium grade kit to a top-of-the-line kit by adding the following:

• Corinth black grapes BLACK CORINTHIAN GRAPES ARE ADDED IN THE PRIMARY
  • Powdered Oak wine tannins WINE TANNINS ARE ADDED IN THE SECONDARY
  • American Oak Cubes THE OAK CHIPS ARE ADDED IN THE PRIMARY
Just for reference, I’m sure everyone knows by now if they have been following the posts, that you will need certain equipment to make this kit. For the newbies, I’m going to put it below so you know what you need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend One step or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 30 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an Italian floor corker.)
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Wash your hands!
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.10.
· We took a PH reading and it came out 3.5
· Now, here comes all that oak! We are adding the 2 packets of Premium Oak Cubes and 2 TBSP’s of the OAK TANNINS (wow!).
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! We then add the packet of Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days.
·
Secondary Fermentation:
Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’s time to rack it.

We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet wine tannins
  • WHAT A GREAT COMBINATION OF MIXS
FINIAL TO BOTTLING!:mny

20131219_191154.jpg

Bellie Band or Brew Belt.jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (3).jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (4).jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (6).jpg

Corinth Grapes Pack (7).jpg

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

Last edited:
Cabernet moving forward

THE PROCESS CONTINUED.................:slp

REMEMBER IT WAS COLD IN THE BASEMENT SO WE ADDED HEATER STRIPES,WE FROZE THE GRAPES UNTIL WE WERE READY TO USE THEM AND GENTLY SMASHED THEM IN THE AIR TIGHT BAGS,ADDED THEM TO THE MIX WITH THE OAK AND YEAST,GENTLY PUNCHED THEM DOWN,WHEN IT WAS TIME WE RACKED THE GRAPES OFF ALONG WITH THE OAK,TRANSFERED TO GLASS,DEGASED AND THEN JUST WAITED,AND WAITED,THAT'S THE NATURE OF THIS CRAFT PATIENTS,YOU MUST LEARN PATIENTS,EASIER SAID THEN DONE AND THEN FINALLY WHEN THE TASTE WAS RIGHT IT WAS BOTTLING TIME AND THE FINAL PACKAGE ,HOPE YOU ENJOYED THE JOURNEY WITH US ,STAY TONED.

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

sanitized bottles.jpg

ingredients n tools.jpg

funnel.jpg

seals.jpg

stirring wand.jpg

wine line.jpg

the ferrari bottle filler.jpg

taste before bottling (3).jpg

IMG_20140321_135103412.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts