when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cello's

Having fun with lemons.....WERE MAKING A LEMON CELLO MY WAY,FIRST THERE ARE TWO MAIN INGREDIENT LEMON EXTRACT AND SIMPLE SYRUP,ESTABLISH HOW MUCH YOU WANT TO END UP WITH SEE THE SIMPLE SYRUP IN THE BOTTLES AT LET A 2/3RD FILLS THEN WE ADD THE EXTRACT 1/2 A BOTTLE NOTICE HOW THEY SEPARATE ,STIR WELL AND TASTE IF YOUR GOOD TO GO ,THEN BOTTLE AS A ADDED TOUCH FOR EYE APPEAL I ADDED 2/3 DROPS OF YELLOW FOOD GRADE DYE THAT MAKES IT A FINISHED PRODUCT FOR ME AND WELL BALANCE AT THE SAME TIME,BECAUSE ITS TO MY TASTE AS WELL AS KATE'S SO THEIR IS MORE THEN ONE PALATE TO TEST FOR TASTE .ENJOY..

1 Bar Jars.jpg

2 fill both jars with syrup.jpg

3 Add to mixing vessel.jpg

4 fill both with extract.jpg

5 Add to mixingvegges.jpg

6 it will seperate.jpg

7 Stir well.jpg

8 add 2-3 drops yellow food dye.jpg

9 final stir.jpg

10 bottled.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, that looks nummy. I've never had a cello. Can you describe the taste?

lemon cello's

think of a lemonade ,only a bit thicker in texture,smooth well balanced between lemon and ACHOLO,definitely a sweet desert wine great for after dinner, easy to make and fun to share.:i

I only made a two bottle batch or I would be glad to share with my southern lady.

WHAT YOU SEE IN THE JARS ARE 2/SIMPLE SYURPS,LEMON EXTRACT,CITRUS EXTRACT AND KEY LIME EXTRACT OF WHICH I'M GOING TO ADD THAT TO GRAY GOOSE VODKA AND CREATE A KEY LIME VODKA.THIS WAS A REQUEST ..

Last edited:
That sounds a little tastier than wood and pine. Lol
Thanks for thinking of your "belle" but it's probably too sweet for my taste. I don't even like Moscato.
Now a lemon meringue pie or key lime vodka? I'm all over that. I may try to make that.

lemon cello's

YES IT'S A SWEET DESERT WINE THAT'S THE NATURE OF A CELLO,SINCE YOU MENTIONED IT, MY GOD DAUGHTER IS A BARTENDER AND SHE WAS GIVE A VODKA (KEY LIME) TO BE PRECISE AND IT WAS VERY TASTY, I THOUGH I WOULD SEE WHAT I COULD DO WITH THAT ,IF I MAKE IT I'LL SEND IT OKAY...............................................:hug

Amarone

Wineexpert Amarone
Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit is a Wineexpert Selection Series Amarone. This kit has the following included. (This list is a little different from the usual kit that you receive. This is a top of the line kit.)

The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· Grape skin pack (You can actually see that there are grape skins in it!)
· 2 packs of Lavin RC-212
· 2 Chaptalisation Packs (bags of sugar)
· Package #2 (bentonite)
· Package #3 (Metabisulphite)
· Package #4 (Sorbate)
· Package #5 (Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
· Mesh Straining Bag
· 3 Packages of European Hungarian Oak
Just for reference, I’m sure everyone knows by now if they have been following the posts, that you will need certain equipment to make this kit. For the newbies, I’m going to put it below so you know what you need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend Onestep or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 30 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an italian floor corker.)
The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
· Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.10.
· Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
· Now, here comes all that Hungarian oak! We are adding 3 packets of Hungarian powdered oak (wow!).
· Here comes the fun part. YEAST! 2 packets of RC-212 yeast. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.
Secondary Fermentation:
Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’s time to rack it.
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).
We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearing agent).

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes.jpg

Last edited:
A

Follow the process,note the adjustments to this kit...JUST SO YOUR ARAE THE STARTING SG WAS AROUND 1.08 BUT WE KNOW FORST HAND THAT WE WER GOING TO CAPITOLIZE THIS WINE ,THAT IS TO BRING THE ACHOLO LEVEL AT THE END TO 14%OR AT LEAST THEATR WAS THE GOAL.ALSO THE GREPA PAC WAS ADDED IN THE PRIMARY ALONG WITH THE OAK CKIPS BUT I ADDED TANNINS TO THE SECONDARY ALONG WITH RASINIS TO BOOST THE STRUCTURE AND BODY OF THE WINE............................IT WAS WORK BUT IT WAS WORTH THE EFFORT..

2 BE CONTINUED.........................

1a bentonite.jpg

3 rinse bag.jpg

4 stir.jpg

5 grape bag.jpg

6 rinse grape bag.jpg

7 SG.jpg

8 Oak.jpg

9 yeast.jpg

10 yeast on top.jpg

11 makes 6 gals.jpg

Last edited:
Amarone moving forward

we have to boost the acholo level in this wine because of it's very natural characteristics, this is called capitalization.........just before fermentation is completed,if you follow what i do you'll notice i do this almost as a rule ,by adding the simple syrup in the beginning I increase the POTENTIAL ABV AT THE END..GOT IT!

dextrose pics (1).jpg

dextrose pics (2).jpg

Last edited:
Amarone the big italian red

MOVING FORWARD......................:u DID WE TELL YOU WE ADDED RAISINS TO THE MIX THAT'S IS WHAT AMARONE IS KNOWN FOR THE ADDITION OF DRIED GRAPES TO THE MIX ,THAT EARTHY ,DEEP TASTE WITH HIGH ACHOLO LEVELS BALANCED OUT WITH THE GREAT TEXTURE OF OAK AND TANNINS.

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, At what point did you add the raisins to the Amarone Primary or Secondary?? :?

Adding raisins

IN most cases I always add the supporting cast into the secondary I always want to make sure my base is done but not quite finished fermentation, this then will start a rehydration and extraction of the raisins ,they will then give up themselves to the wine. THIS IS MY WHY OF DOING IT....................:u

Joe, Do you take the raisins out then add the clarifing agents? I have my second carboy going and would have to rack into another carboy. Is this my plan ?

Also how lond do i want to leave the raisins in it?

Raisins in the secondary????

the raisins are left in the secondary about two weeks that's long enough for the extraction process to take place, then let it settle out for a week or two , making sure the degassing process is complete, then rack= let it set ,take ph and sg readings= when you are sure the wine is still then go into the final clearing stages, actually I prefer several racking and no clearing agents with reds, by doing that as part of the process and letting time do it's work I don't strip out needed tannins and flavor compounds, understand?

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

Amarone gas bubbles.jpg

Stirring Amarone 9 12 13.jpg

Amarone the big italian red

:mnyhave you followed the steps so far...next we let it rest then we bottle. Stay tuned :mny

Amarone Macerating.jpg

Amarone by the glass.jpg

Amarone in the end

Bottling process we do it manual style for those who go it the traditional way.

Ferrari Bottle filler.jpg

sanitized bottles.jpg

wine line.jpg

stirring wand.jpg

the ferrari bottle filler.jpg

the tool.jpg

tool on the bottle.jpg

taste before bottling (2).jpg

Amarone final pic (2).jpg

Joe, how that Amarone taste at this young stage?
I assume it is only a couple months old..

Geek

THIS IS A REVIEW OF A AMARONE KIT MADE PRIER IT IS A EXCELLENT FINISH TO A GREAT WINE ,DEEP IN TASTE AND STRONG IN BODY DONE THIS WAY. :u

Latest posts

Back