when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is my next kit so please let me know if you tweak, and how you progress with the kit:br

Pinot Noir

No, this one has its own characteristics usually it's fruit forward mild embody and smooth at the end ,does this kid come with raisins ?doesn't have any oak? And if so what type? I'm making Pinot Noir myself from fresh juice from California from last year still in the 6 gallon carboy what type of yeast are you going to use? Let's discuss at the planning stage we want nice smooth finish to this wine that the key to Pinot Noir.:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

Joe, this kit (RJ Spagnols Grand Cru International) Pinot Noir does not come with raisins but it does come with French Oak intensity is 2 out of 10. I was thinking of making an Oak extract (Everclear + Oak) to add to the secondary. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks

No, this one has its own characteristics usually it's fruit forward mild embody and smooth at the end ,does this kid come with raisins ?doesn't have any oak? And if so what type? I'm making Pinot Noir myself from fresh juice from California from last year still in the 6 gallon carboy what type of yeast are you going to use? Let's discuss at the planning stage we want nice smooth finish to this wine that the key to Pinot Noir.:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

My RJS Vino del Vida series Pinot Noir is a 9L 4-week kit. It comes with about an 1/8 cup of powder oak that is pitched in primary just before pitching the yeast. The yeast is EC-1118.

This is my sixth kit and my second making of this particular RJS kit. I'm making it again at my wife's request. We both enjoyed it the first time round [but I would rather have tried/started something different].

So... maybe for next time [another carboy frees next month] what type/variety of wines benefit from a raisin tweak? A number of RJS, WE and MM VdV kits are available to me at my LHBS but I'd like to try the tweak with an RJS VdV kit. I like the price and I like the results I've gotten so far with the RJS VdV kits. I was planning on getting a "big" kit, a RJS Winery Series, for next month but would forgo that to try a raisin tweak with a less expensive kit ($75.00 VdV vs. $125.00 WS).

Thanks...

Last edited:
Amarone

Amarone continued...............:mny... Now is the time we start driving out the CO2, this is about the fourth time I have stirred this juice or should I say wine because now it is officially wine at this stage it takes patience playing ordinary everyday patients try not to rush it might be boring but it's what needs to be done, as you can tell there's not a whole lot of gas left in the wine and that's good, we still have a long ways to go before this becomes anything worthwhile I think for about one month and at this point, I know there's a few of you out there are making it right along with me the patient stay the course and in the end will have a delicious wine.:mnyAnd 0 By the Way we topped it off with dry nitrogen every time.

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Amarone gas bubbles.jpg

Stirring Amarone 9 12 13.jpg

What a wonderful thread. I also didnt want to get into this because it was so long and wanted to wait till I had the time to read it all. Thats Joe. I just ordered Wine Expert Italian Brunello w/ Grape Skins - Selection International. I was going to oak it anyway I think I will try the raisin and oak tannin on this one also. I love Italian Brunello

Is there a difference in oak tannin and any other wine tannin?

Tess

:i HI TESS, about time you joined us here, know there is no difference, there other types maybe but you see what I use fine wine toy store has started to carry it, along with one other .The principle is the same ,it can be add at anytime during the process but for REDS,I believe it's better in the secondary ,adding another layer of texture to the SAUCE,also a great improvement to the ports, it helps or at least Try's to make up for the lax of body and texture and gives a luscious mouth feel along the way.:i

IF that's what you ordered then follow the SANGIOVESE THREAD al ready in pics and tutorial format,EASY

Last edited:
:i HI TESS, about time you joined us here, know there is no difference, there other types maybe but you see what I use fine wine toy store has started to carry it, along with one other .The principle is the same ,it can be add at anytime during the process but for REDS,I believe it's better in the secondary ,adding another layer of texture to the SAUCE,also a great improvement to the ports, it helps or at least Try's to make up for the lax of body and texture and gives a luscious mouth feel along the way.:i

IF that's what you ordered then follow the SANGIOVESE THREAD al ready in pics and tutorial format,EASY

thanks Joe I plan on it. Thanks for all the info and keep it up. Very informative ;)

I started my WE Sangiovese today. I'm going to do the raisin/tannin tweak to it also. It worked great on my white wine.

lone Star Lori

:wyJUST FOLLOW THE PROCESS CONTINUE ON ALMOND WINES THREAD ,OK.................................UNTIL YOU MOVE THE LUNA FORWARD,THEN JOCKEY AROUND.:c

amarone in review

Wineexpert Amarone
Here is our kit that we received from Wineexpert. This kit is a Wineexpert Selection Series Amarone. This kit has the following included. (This list is a little different from the usual kit that you receive. This is a top of the line kit.)
The box includes the following:
  • Large bag of juice
  • Grape skin pack (You can actually see that there are grape skins in it!)
  • 2 packs of Lavin RC-212
  • 2 Chaptalisation Packs (bags of sugar)
  • Package #2 (bentonite)
  • Package #3 (Metabisulphite)
  • Package #4 (Sorbate)
  • Package #5 (Chitosan-(Fining Agent)
  • Mesh Straining Bag
  • 3 Packages of European Hungarian Oak
Just for reference, I’m sure everyone knows by now if they have been following the posts, that you will need certain equipment to make this kit. For the newbies, I’m going to put it below so you know what you need:
  • Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
  • Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
  • Measuring cup
  • Hydrometer and test jar
  • Thermometer
  • Wine thief
  • Siphon rod and hose
  • Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
  • Bung and Air lock
  • Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
  • Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend Onestep or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
  • Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
  • 30 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
  • Corking machine (there are various types, we use an italian floor corker.)
The Process:
As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
Add half gallon of warm water to the primary fermenting bucket with the bentonite packet and stir until dissolved.
Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
Now, we take the SG reading. We’re at 1.10.
Next, we added the smaller “grape skin packet”. It’s lumpy so you also want to rinse the bag out w/ water also, to get all the grape skins.
Now, here comes all that Hungarian oak! We are adding 3 packets of Hungarian powdered oak (wow!).
Here comes the fun part. YEAST! 2 packets of RC-212 yeast. Cover with a towel and wait 5-7 days, gently punching down the grape skins.
Secondary Fermentation:
Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’s time to rack it.
Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formed from the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit, along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).
We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’m going to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over the weekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashioned stir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with the potassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearing agent).
Now we wait. Stay tuned.

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes.jpg

Last edited:
Amarone kit part 3

follow the process :u STAY THE COURSE :u WE ARE COMING TO A POINT WERE WE WILL RE-RACK AND DEGASES MORE IF REQUIRED THEN TASTE AND LET IT MATURE AWHILE,IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS PLEASE CONTACT ME VIA PM,WE CAN REVIEW YOUR CONCERNS AND QUESTIONS .STAY TOONED....................:u

dextrose pics (1).jpg

dextrose pics (2).jpg

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

20130829_185205.jpg

Amarone gas bubbles.jpg

Stirring Amarone 9 12 13.jpg

Update on Amarone 09/26/2013

Just and update.
We tasted this tonight because we couldn't help ourselves..
Oh my goodness.. I's delicious so far! Rich, Inky color, fruity on the front.. Definitely going to be a lovely wine when finished!
Stay tuned!

Amarone by the glass.jpg

Amarone Macerating.jpg

joe, how strong is the raisins flavor right now?

rasins in the wine

NOT STRONG AT ALL,REMEMBER THIS KIT ALSO CONTAINED A GRAPE FPAC,THAT BALANCED OUT THE RASINS THAT'S WHY THE ADDTIONAL AMOUNT OF TANNINS TO KEEP BRING UP THE ACIDITY LEVEL TO BALANCE..PH 3.6............ABV 14%.......NOW IT MUST MATURE.:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u THE WINE IS MONTH OLD AT HIS POINT.......................AND HAS VERY GOOD BALANCE AND TASTE...................

Last edited:
Cru Caramel Port Kit
The box includes the following:
· Large bag of juice
· 2 packs of Lavin EC-1118
· 1 Caramel Brule’ F-Pack
· Package of bentonite
· Package of Metabisulphite
· Package of Potassium Sorbate
· Package of each Chitosan-D2 and kiesesol-D1(Fining Agents)

Our additions:
· Oak Tannin (Tannic Acid)
· Caramel Extract
· Spring Water

Tools you will need:
· Primary Fermenter (minimum 30 Litres/7.9 US gallons capacity)
· Long stirring spoon (Plastic or stainless steel)
· Measuring cup
· Hydrometer and test jar
· Thermometer
· Wine thief
· Siphon rod and hose
· Carboy (6 US gallon capacity)
· Bung and Air lock
· Solid Bung (if you are bulk aging)
· Unscented winemaking detergent for cleaning (we recommend Onestep or any other oxygenating cleaner, including Kmet....JUST NOT BLEACH!)
· Metabisulphite Powder for sanitizing
· 15 wine bottles, thirty corks , thirty seals
· Corking machine (there are various types, we use an italian floor corker.)

The Process:
· As always, sanitize anything that comes in contact with the wine. Including yourself. J
· Add the large juice package. (Be careful, it’s heavy!) Rinse this out with a little bit of spring water to make sure you get it all.
· We have our bucket measured to 3 gallons. The kit didn’t quite come to 3 gallons so we topped up until we reach 3 gallons.
· Add the bentonite and give it a good stir.
· Then add the oak tannin, stir, and then take your SG reading. It should read 1.10.
· We then took a PH test and it read 4.0. Typically, it should be around 3.5.
· Finally, we pitched the yeast, made up a tag, and covered it up to rest.

Stay tuned! We will be working on this kit while our Winexpert Amarone Kit is sitting and curing.

1 ingridients.jpg

2 open bag.jpg

3 dump bag in.jpg

4 rinse bag and add to bucket.jpg

5 not quite 3 gal we topped up.jpg

6 bentonite.jpg

7 add tannin.jpg

8 sg reading.jpg

9 ph reading.jpg

10 Ph test.jpg

This sounds pretty tasty. I have a question though. You say you need 15 wine bottles, but 30 corks and caps. Why not an even amount?

Latest posts

Back