when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time to move forward

NEXT STEP, between the fpac of grapes and the cap of raisins .it's time to get this wine under airlock and let it settle out on it's own.

lets review the steps to get here

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes Label.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes.jpg

Winexpert Moscato Kit

Hi Sdelli,
Yes, I started the Winexpert Moscato Kit the same time I started this Amarone kit. Here is the link to follow that thread. (FYI: It is also called "When Good Wines Gone Bad". I have a few threads going simultaneously on this forum with different kits on each.)

Here's the link to the Moscato if you are interested in learning more:

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f3/when-good-wines-gone-bad-14483/index31.html

Best regards,
Joeswine and Neviawen (Kate)

Now that we fermented dry (SG reading is 1.010), now it’stime to rack it.

Notice the grape skins on top? This is the cap that formedfrom the grape skin packet that was provided in the Wineexpert Amarone Kit,along with the addition of California Raisins (that I added to add more body).

We racked this down to a carboy but it is pretty gassy. I’mgoing to let this settle out for a few days and degas some on its own. Over theweekend, I will force-gas it (If I have to) by giving it a good old-fashionedstir. Once I feel that it’s de-gassed enough, I will stabilize it with thepotassium sorbate packet, K-Met Packet, and packet of Chitosan (clearingagent).

Now we wait. Stay tuned.

2 amarone straining raisins.jpg

1 amarone racking 2.jpg

2 amarone racking.jpg

Joe,
I see you will be adding oak tannins. I've seen grape tannins on line. I will be taking a trip to my local wine making store (50 miles away) to buy oak tannin but I am not sure the will have the right stuff. Is a product called grape tannin or win tannin the same thing? If I cannot get oak tannin is one of the others close enough?
Thanks in advance for your advice. I started this same Amarone kit just this Saturday. I am trying to follow your lead. Just having fun in Ohio.....

wild cave bill

Wine tannins are probably the correct term to use, they go a long way ,I got mine from Midwest supplies, do the best you can also make up a head of time the dexterous solution, it will save you time and a better flow in the process, I can't stress enough (DEGASSING) once you get to a point were you need to transfer, degassing is paramount BEFORE you transfer, but still need enough to work the wine in the glass yet not enough to erupt, do you understand?:wy DEGASSING A MUST.:wy

Last edited:
Joe, rereading your previous post on the amerone, you racked to the carboy for for secondary fermentation. I thought that was when you were going to add the rest of your grapes and tannin. Did I miss something? Looks like I will be racking tomorrow, I am just 2 days behind you...I smell the goodness.

Thanks!

wild cave bill

are you making the AMARONE with me? If so yes you missed a step ,question what type of fermenter are you using?(1) all the items plus the grape pack in the first stage ,follow the( sg) as per directed,(2)I installed the raisins in the next stage in my tube, if you are not using a tub, then wait till you go dry ,rack as directed , then add the raisins be sure to degas and keep a close eye on the (sg)...........:u

Hi Joe,

I'm confused about this instruction. It Note states to de-gas heavily and then item #2, in the instructions, states to leave the sediment behind.

What's your thoughts on this? How can you rack and leave sediment behind after you've aggressively de-gassed? All the sediment are now floating. Maybe there should be a wait time before racking. That way the heavy sediment will have dropped to the bottom prior to racking.

I de-gas using the All-in-one wine pump by racking back and forth between carboys four times. I will do the same with this.

Degas but leave sediment behind..jpg

Last edited:
degassing

stay the course, go away keep the lid on is will be ready to handle when you get back, there's plenty of time left,ok.:wy stay on the pm side of the conversation if you can.:try

Joe, I am new at this but this is the 1st kit I have seen that comes with sugar?
I know folks put sugar (SS) in mist kits. Have you or do you Capitalize regular kits?
Learning to think outside the box:h

Capitalization

:hugIn basic terms capitalization is the reintroduce of sugar into the wine along with the existing yeast to boost the alcohol level of the wine, after the yeast has digested it and expels alcohol.

:hug In the case of the amarone we definitely need to boost the alcohol level that's one of the trademarks of this style of wine along with its unique flavor .
:hug I have reproduced the making of simple syrup on these threads nothing complicated about it.thanks for the question and thanks for following .:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

Last edited:
Amarone moving forward

Amarone and review ............ any questions:i

Amarone Box.jpg

Box Contents.jpg

Chitosan.jpg

Dextrose.jpg

Hungarian Oak.jpg

Kmeta bentonite sorbate.jpg

Lalvin RC212 Yeast.jpg

Real Crushed Grapes.jpg

Labels they provided.jpg

Amarone stage four

Stage IV................. Secondary racking:seonce this is racked to secondary you have to sit back and wait and let nature take its course there is no hurrying here , we just have to wait and see so far so good you should be an exciting wine in the end, they should take about two weeks to settle out at that time we will racket once again and get ready for clearing and final prep, then we'll move on to bottling and labeling.

Stay tuned, any questions? I know there are a few of you are making this kit with me in via e-mail you have come with me step-by-step I state thank you, stay the course stay in touch to we rack again.

1 amarone straining raisins.jpg

2 amarone racking 2.jpg

3 amarone racking.jpg

Last edited:
Joe, I make and drink better wine because of your post:br
Thank you!

Latest posts

Back