when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

how many have used or tried using ZESTING

• Total voters
Yeast the little microbe that could

:db I am starting my port wine kit and took a( EC – 1118) the usual suspects of chemicals , especially the yeast lalvin EC – 1118. This is the most common type of yeast kit manufacturers are supportive of because of its natural characteristics.. It makes a lot of sense. They are not sure of what temperature you are going to be fermenting they are sure of the wine alcohol content. You should have as force projection goes . Assuming you follow all steps correctly in addition to that. It has good properties for most wines. :db

:db Some good reiterate just what they are , . This is been around forever is a low foamer, excellent for the barrel fermentation
.or for working on heavy suspended particle.. .Is one of the most popular wine yeast in the world.. very well at low temperature. a A produces very compact lees... It is good for champagne Basie.,. Secondary. Fermentation's,Restarting stock fermentations,. and for late harvest grapes. . It is also the yeast every one should have in their Refrigerator.. .Has an alcohol toxicity 18%. a A ferments very fast.. .It tolerates temperature ranges from 39-95.. d Degrees Fahrenheit., but not good for malolactic fermentation.:db. So you see ., it has every common denominator, going for it.., and that is why it is the most widely use... So let us get started......................:try

Yeast the little micro that could

:pic Want to make a Cabernet, Merlot or Shiraz ,. This could be your yeast.:mny

:pic lalvin D 21 -. This string was isolated in 1999 for fermenting red wines with stable color , intense mouth feel and need -palate tannin structure , and a fresher aftertaste. and retains higher acidity, inhibiting development cooked jam and burning – alcohol sensations is highly matured and concentrated Cabernets , Merlot and syrah. it Iroduces very few sulfur compounds :mny
.:pic.allows the expression of fruit from the grapes while reducing the potential the potential for Cerberus characteristics in the Cabernet Sauvignon . When blended with wine is fermented with ICV – D254 and ICV – DAV , why is fermented with IPC – the 21 brain fresher , Deep Throat and continuous intense sensations beginning in the form outand carry through to the aftertaste is almost as desirable a strain for white wines. As for Reds, is a moderately fast fermenter with a temperature range of 64 – 96° , andand alcohol tolerance to. :mny

:pic IvC – D 21,is an excellent yeast for most of your major red wine categories ............. I know it sounds good to me , fit all the right spots, meets all the right criteria . This is a yeast. You should keep .:mny
.if you will notice in our travels we have come across two very good yeast among the hundreds that are out there EC . 1118 and D 21 these are winners , you do not have to keep a lot need to keep the right ones .

Yeast the little microb that could

:hugSO TELL ME SO FAR HAVE YOU SEEN THE DIFFERENCES IN THE YEAST TYPES AND THE BENEFIT OF A LITTLE TIME IN RESEARCHING OUT THE BEST FOR YOUR PARTICULAR NEEDS?PLANNING IS ALWAYS THE KEY ELEMENT IN WINE MAKING AND KNOWING WHAT YOUR PARTICULAR WINE STYLE REQUIRES(,ATTRIBUTES ) TO BE AT ITS CHARISTIC BEST.:mny

Okay were back//red star yeast

We talk a lot about lalvin as a major yeast provider ,but there's also another player known as

RED STAR

This is another company that has been around a long, long time . And if you went onto the website them a wonderful chart that you can use .......................... so Set's take a look at it now:wy
remember my making you always have to do some research that comes in the planning mode we cellar dwellers was planning . So for example take a look at red stars profiles .
cotes des blancs, it's excellent for dry whites and non-dry whites is very good for light berries and orchard fruits . It has a moderate fermentation speed and it's tolerance to alcohol is moderate . th T is a good example. The yeast
that is good for most qualifications . :try

Pasture red,now the characteristics of this yeast for different so do the planning comes , . It's excellent for young Reds and aged Reds it's good dark berries it has a moderate fermentation speed , and a good alcohol tolerance .:try. Take a look at the chart and you'll see the strength and weakness of. This yeast there the figure needs ? :tryS

:try Premier cuvee, great for dry whites excellent for nouveau ,good for champagne overstocks fermentation can be used for late harvest has a fast fermentation speed, and is very alcohol tolerance. :try think about!:wy
:try Montrachet, now this one is very strong in all categories. Can you see that? But it doesn't fit the bill for citrus fruits do see that? Also, Ford non-dry whites, blushes, young Reds champagne light berries orchard fruits so good although it is a fast fermenter and the tolerance levels very well. It does complement dark berries and botanicals as well as helping out with the fermentation to a certain extent............ this one. I don't feel strongly about. We think?:wy

:wyPasture champagne, excellent for champagne progress with this is originally cultivated for, great with light berries, which are fruits citrus amounts so this is really a decent for East is an excellent secondary fermentation . It also helps that fermentation it's great for late harvest grapes. It's fermentation speed is fast and alcohol tolerance is very good........... Tis one's a keeper and should be in your repertoire of yeast.. Don't you think? :wy

:try So you see at all the planning stages winemaking you have to think out. What you're doing or in other words plan your work and work your plan. know What wine types have better attributes with a particular yeast , make a chart plan for every descent on the chart to the next stage , not everything will go correctly but lease you'll be on the correct path and you know if you went to the left or the right , planning and questioning are two key ingredients in this hobby. We call winemaking .:wy

Wonderfull world of yeast

:mny SO YOU SEE HOW IMPORTANT KNOWING FIRST WHAT YOU WANT TO MAKE AND THEN MATCHING IT UP WITH THE CORRECT YEAST TYPE,SO THAT YOUR WINE CAN REACH IT'S FULL POTENTIAL.:u IT'S ALL IN THE PLANNING.....PLAN YOUR WORK THEN WORK YOUR PLAN.

Going back to the future

:slpWE ARE GOING TO REVIEW WINE FAULTS AND DEFECTS,WHAT MAKES THEM OCCUR AND HOW THEY CAN BE AVOIDED.........WE ALL HAVE FACED THESE ELEMENTS IN THE PAST .......LETS USE KNOWLEDGE TO PREVENT THEM IN THE FUTURE............:rn

Wish one of you guys were in LA and could help me w/ backsweetning. I still dont feel all that comfortable with that.

Back sweetening

:try It's a process that's not all time at our level, there are other avenues to pursue in keeping this residual sweetness and check and not having to add it back to it that's a process that you have to be very chemically trained to do and have a lot of time to do it, so if some of us do and I don't make it a practice is that we ferment out to dry, at our chemicals, make sure that we have is still wine, and then back sweetened with sugar, simple syrup is what I use, don't be afraid of it if you don't understand just ask any one of many people on this website will guide you through it, I should also state that you should have good taste buds in doing this because you can over sweeten a wine if you're not careful and if you're not sure what you're doing you could start refer mentation again. Like I said any one of a number of people can walk you through it from making simple syrup to applying the simple syrup in the back swinging process, that's with this hobby is all about experimentation, at least this thread helps you to think outside the box, have you read any of it? Stay tuned because I'm going to start on one of these threads one faults and defects....................:wy. this should interest you........ JP

Fortifying wines

:u What is a fortified wine? Well, simply put, it is wine with an added distilling beverage, usually ranging fortified wine is distinguished from spirits made from wine in that spirits are produced by means of the distillation, while fortified wine is simply one that has had a spirit added to it. Many different styles of fortified wines have been developed, including port, sherry or Madeira, Marshals and the aromatized wine vermouth.:try

The original reason for fortified wine was to deserve it, since ethanol is a natural antiseptic. Even though other preservation methods now exist, fortification continues to be used because the process can add distinct flavors to the finished product.:try

Although grape brandy is most commonly added to produce fortified wines, the additional alcohol may also be neutral spirit that has been distilled from grapes, green, sugar beets, or sugarcane. As always regional laws apply and dictate the types of spirits that are permitted for fortification.:try

Okay so let's take a look at this, here I am making the coffee port. However, the kit calls for no alcohol whatsoever with the exception of one manufacturing within it night don't know what the F pack contains, but I do know that taste comes into play, and that's going to be the keystone of my coffee port, so here's what I'm going to before I even make this and I will do this. This week the bottles ready. The labels are ready. Everything is good to go. I'm going to make sure that having a good bottle of grappa on hand, I'm going to filter the main base through to a 6 gallon bucket. Remember, this is only gallon wine to that. I'm going to add the F pack and that's when my creation will start.:try

To the main body in the mix by taste. I'm going to start adding gradually grappa, once I have my volume where I wanted to be not only with the coffee flavor. But with the spirit addition, balance, I will leave it in the pale for one day while a blends to itself, re-tasted. If it's good to go. It's going to go quickly because I'm already to bottle, in addition I will also add a few coffee beans to each bottle. This in turn should enhance the coffee port not only with the grappa, but with additional flavor.:try

Fortification can be done in many ways is the most simplistic way it can also be done in small amounts to. You have your volume balance out while it's still in the carboy but at a finished state.:try

Stay tuned............:try

Madeira wine

:u Madeira is a fortified wine made in the Madeira Islands. The wine is produced in a variety of styles ranging from dry wines, which can be consumed on their own as an aperitif, to sweet wines. More usually consumed with dessert.

:u Marcelo wine is a wine from Sicily that is available in both fortified and on fortified versions. It was first produced in 1772 by English merchant, John Woodhouse, as an inexpensive substitute for Sherry import, and gets its name from the islands port Marsala but fortified version is blended with Brandy to make two styles, the younger, slightly weaker fine, which is at least 70% ABV and aged at least for four months, and the superior which is at least 18%, and aged at least two years. The on fortified marsala wine is aged in wooden casks for five years or more, and reaches a strength of 18% by evaporation.:u

:u Sherry, port wine. It has many varieties and styles including vermouth have been around for a long long time, a wholely different palette to work off of, interesting, inviting and a tasty expander to the palette. Try some of these aperitif's the next time you go out to your favorite local wine and spirits shop, then once you've tried one or two you'll get to understand what the palette is supposed to be looking at, and so will you. To be continued......................:u

Vermouth

This is something very different, vermouth is a fortified wine flavored with aromatic herbs and spices using closing garden recipes. Some of the herbs and spices used may include cardamom, cinnamon, margarine, and chamomile. Some vermouth is very sweet, however, unsweetened, or dry, vermouth tends to be bitter. The person credited with the second vermouth recipe, Antonio Benedetto carpano from Turin, Italy, chose to name his concoction vermouth in 1786 because he was inspired by a German wine flavor with wood worm, a herb, most famously used in distillation of absinthe. However, this goes way back to the Romans the modern German woodworm means both wood worm and vermouth. The herbs originally used to mask raw flavors of cheaper wines imparting a slightly medicine taste or tonic flavor.

The palette of wine making is immense and goes back hundreds of years, remember when I wrote about the Georgians there around 400 BC. That's a lot of bottles go. Stay tuned.

The talking to you soon. Thanks for hanging in there:try

Dessert wines continued

:u

So here we are, almost at the end dessert wines, let's recap what we talked about, their natural sweetness and how to obtain, capitalization, fortification, raisin wine, the King of sweet ice wine, noble rot wine and finally we'll talk about serving.:r

:u The general rule is that the wine should be sweeter than this one is served with – a perfectly ripe peach has been scribed as an ideal partner for many dessert wines, whereas it makes sense not to drink wine at all with mini chocolate – and coffee – based dishes. Read dessert wines like redcioto della valpolicella and fortified wines like the vin doux natures are the best matches for such difficult to pair dessert. Quite often, the wine itself can be dessert, but bakery sweets can make a good match, particularly with a little bitterness like the almond biscuits that are dunked in vin santo. A development of this matching of contrast is a rich, savory dish like the foie gras that it is a traditional part of Sauternes. White dessert wines are generally serve somewhat chilled but can be easily served cold. Red dessert wines are served at room temperature or slightly chilled.:r

:u I know these wines aren't for everyone, and most men that I know shy away from, but every now and then give your mouth and your taste buds of thrill and think outside the box, take a chance and small bottle of ice wine at your local spirits shop or stroll down the lane in spirits shop and take a look at diversity that has been dessert wines, I'm sure you'll find that there's a place in your cellar for at least one bottle a great dessert one. And who knows wine season comes around or there's a kit that you spot that you say hey I like the way that one sounds you may even try one.................... dessert wines ..... A good way to end the dinner:r

think outside the box
:D Next we'll explore ports one of my favorite of all dessert know they have a name unto themselves. They deride dessert.
:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r:r
Hope you enjoyed this, stay tuned...........

:try Stay tuned because I'm going to start on one of these threads one faults and defects....................:wy. this should interest you........ JP

Joe,
Looking forward to the thread on faults and defects.
:br

Wine defects and faults

Good to hear from you. reefman, as home winemakers your subject to a lot of flaws in both our sanitation and the preparation in making the wine. For those of you who make fruit wines or are using fresh grapes. This becomes even more of a problem if the sanitation in the process is not handled properly. Even and especially racking and bulk aging, if the tools you're using are not up to the task which they were assigned to do then you have a problem, I'm going to try to address some of these problems. I myself and subject to some, but the more I do the wine and understated what my shortcomings are and I try to overcome those, so bear with me will go through some of the ones that hurt us the most.

A wine fault or defect is an unpleasant characteristic of a wine often resulting from poor wine making practices or storage conditions, and leading to wine spoilage. Many of the compounds that cause wine falls are already naturally present in wine but at least insufficient concentrations to adversely affect. In fact, depending on reception, these concentrations may impart positive characteristics to the wine. However, when the concentrations of these component greatly exceed the sensory, replace or obscure the flavors and aromas that the wine should be expressing. Ultimately the quality of the wine is reduced, making it less appealing and sometimes undrinkable.

Okay, let's take this for example I have a bucket of fresh juice. I bring it home and I know that it's at least a 45°, the yeast cannot start to activate at that temperature. So I let it set for a day or so and him him not paying too much attention to it, do a temperature reading and pitch my yeast. So far so good, right?

Check the specific gravity readings. Everything looks good time. The transfer from the ferment fermentation bucket to the carboy, so far so good. But I didn't have the time to sanitize the carboy. But hey, I'm in a hurry, yeah things to do so as a moving along. I pushed put this fresh batch of grape juice into a dirty carboy, not dirty as though you could see dirt and not sanitize didn't take the time to sanitize with one step or be bright, hey but that's okay I'm in the jar was empty. All they did was put the fresh juice into it. How wrong could that be? For my airlock in with water in and away go.

Every is going great. Up to this point, two weeks later I go back to the carboy. There is just right left it only know I see some white floaty things on the top and I wonder how this happened but that bong isn't sitting in the whole right it's like very loose, is that would cause the weight floaty things in the top or maybe it's because I've had about 6 inches of space or maybe more, but hey what's that got to do with it. I did put the airlock in it should are kept in the air out, shouldn't it?

There are many causes for the preparation in wine falls ranging from poor hygiene at a winery, excessive and or insufficient exposure of the wine oxygen, excessive or insufficient exposure of the wine to sulfur, overextended maceration of the wine either create or post fermentation, faulty finding, filtering and stabilization one, the use of dirty Oak barrels, or extend the barrel aging and the use of poor quality corks. Outside of the winery, other factors within the control of the retailer are and user of the wine can contribute to the reception of flaws in the wine. These include poor storage of the wine that expose it to excessive heat and temperature fluctuations as well as these of dirty stemware during wine tasting that can introduce materials aromas to what was previously a clean and full free wine.

So you see, I'm a mistake straight up, and oxidation is a primary cause and the most common of all wine faults.

. Oxidation of wines. Perhaps most, common of wine faults, is the presence of oxygen and a catalyst are the only requirements for the process to occur. It is also known asmaderized wine. From Madeira wine, which is intentionally oxidized. Oxidation can occur throughout the wine making process, and even after the wine has been bottle. Which leads to loss of color, flavor and aroma, sometimes referred to as flattening. In most cases compounds such as sulfur dioxide and other acidic compounds are added to the wine by winemakers, which protect the wine from oxidation and also buying with some of the other oxidation products reduce their affect.

It's a little scientific doesn't, but it wasn't was my fault that I let the wine sit too long, I was busy and I did put the bong and the bubbler in the bottle it just was a bad fit, how was I supposed to know? Well, as a winemaker the truth is I'm supposed to have all my tools ready in my toolbox. I'm also supposed to have a plan and know when and how to implement that plan. If I had done these things had taken my time to plan my work and work my plan and had all my tools ready. I would not have asked gallons of fresh juice with white floaty things on top and airlock the doesn't fit and two weeks worth of oxygen after fermentation flattening my wine, what to do?

We do have reasons why things go wrong and sometimes we can find the answers, but most good winemakers know how to plan the work and work your plan. Oxygen, in the role of wine making is a double-edged sword to little and there's no fermentation, too much and the wine takes on a totally different characteristic.

Faults continued.:gn

Last edited:
corks stuck in a rut

Cork taint

2,4,6-trichloroanisole

Cork taint
Cork taint is a wine fault mostly attributed to the compound 2,4,6-trichloroanisole (TCA), although other compounds such as guaiacol, geosmin, 2-methylisoborneol, 1-octen-3-ol, 1-octen-3-one, 2,3,4,6-tetrachloroanisole, pentachloroanisole, and 2,4,6-tribromoanisole are also thought to be involved.[7] TCA most likely originates as a metabolite of mould growth on chlorine-bleached wine corks and barrels. It causes earthy, mouldy, and musty aromas in wine that easily mask the natural fruit aromas, making the wine very unappealing. Wines in this state are often described as "corked". As cork taint has gained a wide reputation as a wine fault, other faults are often mistakenly attributed to it.

Okay, just between you me have you ever opened up bottle of your wine and smelled musty damp, even moldy Cork taint could be the culprit a lot of this also has to come from poor sanitation. Although there are other reasons why this can happen, sanitation is one of the biggest culprits. Sometimes, but rarely corks themselves can become contaminated to manufacturing, if you take a look the Cork under microscope you'll find tiny little crevices. That's where microbes hide. Check are you store them

Here's a little trick that you may want to try let's say you're doing a 6 gallon kit and you expect to get 30 bottles of wine take a small bowl pleasure corks in the bowl didn't eighth of a teaspoon of metabolic sulfite sprinkle the corks and makes them around in the bowl , then go ahead and use them for my new bit of sulfites will be on the corks will not hurt your wine the may protect in the long run. This is a real problem in the winemaking industry as well as with us home winemakers, can't stress enough sanitation.

So far we touch on oxidation, and now Cork taint these are two big hitters and our industry.

Stay tuned......................

Last edited:
Flaws and defects

Detecting faults in wine tasting
The vast majority of wine faults are detected by the nose and the distinctive aromas that they give off. However, the presence of some wine faults can be detected by visual and taste perceptions. For example, premature oxidation can be noticed by the yellowing and browning of the wine's color. The sign of gas bubbles in wines that are not meant to be sparkling can be a sign of refermentation or malolactic fermentation happening in the bottle. Unusual breaks in the color of the wine could be a sign of excessive copper, iron or proteins that were not removed during fining or filtering. A wine with an unusual color for its variety or wine region could be a sign of excessive or insufficient maceration or as well as poor temperature controls during fermentation. Tactile clues of potential wine faults include the burning, acidic taste associated with volatile acidity that can make a wine seem out of balance.[1][2]
Wine faultCharacteristicsAcetaldehydeSmell of roasted nuts or dried out straw. Commonly associated with Sherries where these aromas are considered acceptableAmyl-acetateSmell of "fake" candy banana flavoringBrettanomycesSmell of barnyards, fecal and gamey horse aromasCork taintSmell of a damp basement, wet cardboard or newspapers and mushroomsDiacetylSmell of rancid butterEthyl acetateSmell of vinegar, paint thinner and nail polish removerHydrogen sulfideSmell of rotten eggs or garlic that has gone badIodineSmell of moldy grapesLactic acid bacteriaSmell of sauerkrautMercaptansSmell of burnt rubber and/or cooked cabbageOxidationSmell of cooked fruit and walnuts. Also detectable visually by premature browning or yellowing of the wineSorbic acid plus lactic acid bacteriaSmell of crushed geranium leavesSulfur dioxideSmell of burnt matches. Can also come across as a pricking sensation in the nose.
Try this checklist on for size tell me truthfully if you can how many of these things have you run into? And do you know why you ran into them will discuss these in detail but by all means read the list. These are some of the most active defects winemaking............. read.... Stay tuned....................:ft

A taint by any other name

Geranium taint

2-ethoxy-3,5-hexadiene

Geranium taint, as the name suggests, is a flavour and aroma taint in wine reminiscent of geranium leaves. The compound responsible is 2-ethoxyhexa-3,5-diene, which has a low sensory threshold concentration of 1 ng/L.[12] In wine it is formed during the metabolism of potassium sorbate by lactic acid bacteria. Potassium sorbate is sometimes added to wine as a preservative against yeast, however its use is generally kept to a minimum due to the possibility of the taint developing. The production of the taint begins with the conversion of sorbic acid to the alcohol sorbinol. The alcohol is then isomerised in the presence of acid to 3,5-hexadiene-2-ol, which is then esterified with ethanol to form 2-ethoxy-3,5-hexadiene.[12] As ethanol is necessary for the conversion, the geranium taint is not usually found in must. Think about it, all the odors you find in your wine that is not appealing. Can you identify with them? Has this ever happened to you? Remember the difference between cleaning your utensils and carboys and sanitizing your equipment. All this has a direct bearing on the faults and defects of your wine, planning, controlling, and organizing your workload is part of being a winemaker. And even after always thought of and done, you can still have a problem, but being aware that you can is half the battle................ defects continue.:gn

Heat damage

Heat or overexposure to heat can cause extreme damage to wine even cold , extreme cold can cause damage to wine , let us just take a look at the first.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cork_taint
Heat damage

Heat damaged wines are often casually referred to as cooked, which suggests how heat can affect a wine. They are also known as maderized wine, from Madeira wine, which is intentionally exposed to heat. The ideal storage temperature for wine is generally accepted to be 13°C (55°F). Wines that are stored at temperatures greatly higher than this will experience an increased aging rate. Wines exposed to extreme temperatures will thermally expand, and may even push up between the cork and bottle and leak from the top. When opening a bottle of wine, if a trace of wine is visible along the length of the cork, the cork is partially pushed out of the bottle, or wine is visible on the top of the cork while it is still in the bottle, it has most likely been heat damaged. Heat damaged wines often become oxidized, and red wines may take on a brick color.
Even if the temperatures do not reach extremes, temperature variation alone can also damage bottled wine through oxidation. All corks allow some leakage of air (hence old wines become increasingly oxidized), and temperature fluctuations will vary the pressure differential between the inside and outside of the bottle and will act to "pump" air into the bottle at a faster rate than will occur at any temperature strictly maintained.
Reputedly, heat damage is the most widespread and common problem found in wines. It often goes unnoticed because of the prevalence of the problem, consumers don't know it's possible, and most often would just chalk the problem up to poor quality, or other factors.
Take your time go back over the faults and see if any of this is happened to you, . I know some of those happened to me . . Take your time read , understand, ask thanks for following . :brL

Back