when does bulk aging start?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
Notes-Cali Cab fresh juice bucket-10-2-12 started SG 1090, 10-7-12 racked SG .998, 11-4-12 racked added 1/4 tea PM. Still in a 5 gallon carboy. So my question is when did I start bulk aging?I was going to bulk age for 6 months but not sure what starting point to use. Thanks

Tarpon, How clear is the wine and do you plan to add any fining agents, e.g. keiselsol, chitosan? If not, I would count the date that you stabilized the wine which sounds like 11-4-12. Also, it does not have to be 6 months exactly. Everyone has his preference. I like to age my reds for at least 9 months and closer to 12.

I consider the bulk ageing to begin once you rack from primary to secondary and the SG has been constant for 3-7 days.......then, let the ageing begin. Others will chime in as well.

I believe technically, bulk aging begins when alcoholic fermentation is complete. For most wines, that's when SG gets to 0.996 or below - often before we've finished wine preparation (fining, etc.).

Once you have bulk aged for 6 months, how long will you bottle age? Can you drink reds after 6 months. What about dragon blood? How long bulk versus bottle age? At what point do you sulfite and sorbate?

I use the date on the label more for my own information. After the fermentation is complete, degassing, Bentonite treatment and stabalization that is the date I put on the label. Then I figure 6 months or 1 year.

Back