When do I take SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinegar

Reaction score
It's been 10 years, do I take my first SG when I put in primary or when I rack the t the first time? Git a few in primary but can't even get to the liquid

An SG measurement is taken at the very beginning. Daily measurements will show the progress of the ferment - some will be ridiculously fast and some will be ridiculously slow. Ignore the calendar. No change for 3 days is accepted as a sign the ferment is done. As Jim mentioned, the OG and FG will give a good approximation of ABV.

Yes, it can be a challenge sometimes. When my must is thick I line the bucket with a brew bag. It acts as a filter and I can easily remove liquid between the bag and bucket. There are numerous other options. Pressing a sanitized strainer, for example, into the must will reveal liquid.

It's been 10 years, do I take my first SG when I put in primary or when I rack the t the first time? Git a few in primary but can't even get to the liquid
You may want to check out @winemaker81 website Bryan's Wine & Beer Making Site – fine wines since 1981 …

He has lots of tutorials and white papers that explain these topics really well.

MoreWine! also has a great list of manuals MoreManuals! Winemaking Guides | MoreWine

This should help get you started and fill in gaps that you may have with your knowledge.

Latest posts

Back