What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hey, I SAID IN GUINEA, AFRICA! Sheesh! Here's about a buck fifty in US money. The country is under the thumb of France. It is so poor and its currency so devalued that this is a typical bill – heavily soiled, ripped, and mended with tape.

Screenshot 2023-08-28 at 10.28.01 AM.png

I found very little in a Google search of Guiluxe beer and apparently it is not imported into the U.S. My friend says it tastes good, so I will be interested to try this long-traveled can.

Hey, I SAID IN GUINEA, AFRICA! Sheesh! Here's about a buck fifty in US money. The country is under the thumb of France. It is so poor and its currency so devalued that this is a typical bill – heavily soiled, ripped, and mended with tape.

View attachment 104990

I found very little in a Google search of Guiluxe beer and apparently it is not imported into the U.S. My friend says it tastes good, so I will be interested to try this long-traveled can.
I can remember taping more than a few Canadian bills together when they were made out of cotton fibre. Our dollar is often considered "devalued" compared to yours. 💲😂

I can remember taping more than a few Canadian bills together when they were made out of cotton fibre. Our dollar is often considered "devalued" compared to yours. 💲😂

I have Canadian relatives. Yes, Canadian money is devalued compared to the world's benchmark currency, the US dollar – but not like Guinea's! 🤣 Guinea's money is so worthless that the notes themselves are barely worth replacing.

I have 8 of these left. I post this as a lesson in dealing with sky high brix Mettler Vineyard Petite Sirah, slightly shrunken but un-raisined with no mold or damage hand destemmed, almost over-ripe like an Amarone. The only 2 flaws in these grapes was too high in alcohol and low in acid. They were like tar meets candy. The Dineen Cabernet Sauvignon was a tiny bit under-ripe but not by much and turned out fine on its own. I used it to bump the acid and drop the alcohol of the Petite Sirah. The Regent was mine homegrown to boost the acid and drop the alcohol.

This is a heavy duty red. It is lightly flat but intense and complex with good tannin. Surprisingly it tastes like it will age.

So I will let it age. The tannin will keep it alive in spite of low acid.

If I had it to do over I'd add more Regent or Marechal Foch to get the acid level up to make the nose more complex. Having said all of that I look forward to tasting it as it ages e.g. 1 bottle per year over the next 8 years. It tastes like it would be good with roast lamb.

Pinnacle of Sirah 2020-21ContentAcid %Alcohol %
Dineen Cabernet Sauvignon
19%​
0.8​
13.3​
Sheridan Syrah
9%​
0.7​
15.6​
Amador Cabernet Sauvignon
4%​
0.7​
14.5​
Dineen Cabernet Franc
12%​
0.75​
13.3​
Mettler Petite Sirah
42%​
0.6​
16.6​
Regent
13%​
0.85​
10.6​
100%​
0.74​
14.6​

My younger son talked me into buying a jar of Luxardo cherries, as he said they are the bomb for making Old Fashioned. Who am I kidding? I'm just looking for a reason to do things, and he provided it. [These are stupidly expensive.]

My elder son is present for today's BBQ (smoked brisket and chicken), and I made us each a drink. His eyes lit up at the first taste.

Note -- I stir all ingredients except the cherries to mix. Then I add 1 cherry + cherry syrup, but do not stir. The syrup is thick and doesn't mix. At the very end the cherry (which sucks up a lot of rye) + the syrup make for a great finale to the drink.

rye.jpg

Latest posts

Back