What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My younger son talked me into buying a jar of Luxardo cherries, as he said they are the bomb for making Old Fashioned. Who am I kidding? I'm just looking for a reason to do things, and he provided it. [These are stupidly expensive.]

My elder son is present for today's BBQ (smoked brisket and chicken), and I made us each a drink. His eyes lit up at the first taste.

Note -- I stir all ingredients except the cherries to mix. Then I add 1 cherry + cherry syrup, but do not stir. The syrup is thick and doesn't mix. At the very end the cherry (which sucks up a lot of rye) + the syrup make for a great finale to the drink.

View attachment 105251

Expensive? Yes, but they are worth every penny!

Dineen Vineyard Cabernet Franc 2020

Perfect condition 14.9% alcohol all hand destemmed and fermented uncrushed and unsulphited.

22 day ferment with RC212 yeast.

Treated with medium toast American oak cubes 30 per 5 Imperial gallons for 120 days.

Sulphited at the end of malolactic fermentation after racking off of the oak cubes at 50 parts per million and bottled at 75 parts per million total sulphite.

Here are my winetasting comments:

Colour: purple, inky mahogany

Smell: clean, cocoa, plums, blackberries, cherries

Acid - slightly high which is surprising for grapes this ripe

Tannin - high which is surprising considering fermentation of uncrushed grapes

Flavour - intense with a long finish

Afterthought - This is a massive wine and needs eons to age to drop its tannins, acid and maximize its bouquet. I'm inclined to leave all of it alone for at least 3 years. I would absolutely make it again. It has no vegetal character e.g. French Chinon in an average year. I have 14 left so it has lots of time to age if I keep my mitts out of it which I intend to do. If you can get Dineen Vineyard Washington grapes go for it.

Attachments

• 20230906_162403 (002).jpg
    20230906_162403 (002).jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
I think the numerous storms in the area kept this place VERY quiet last night. We didn't see a drop of rain and had a relaxing time on the porch of this nice winery only 5 miles from home. Sitting up on a bit of a hill, we had a nice fireworks show put on by Mother Nature. This is still young, but 15 minutes in the glass with frequent swirling helped it come into its own. As usual, their Viognier was very nice. @mainshipfred: they were cleaning up from crush when we walked in - I thought I might see you there.

tempImagew5PLc8.jpg

The Merlot/Grenache has been in the bottle a month, so I had to try it. I'm pleased with this one and will repeat the process (grape pomace + kit or juice).

Oddly enough, the Grenache is a dominant flavor in this, and it's certainly in the nose.

M-G.jpg

The Merlot/Tempranillo hasn't been in the bottle as long, but I had to compare it. I like the Grenache better, but this one is a keeper. Sadly, I only have a case of each.

M-T.jpg

My younger son and DIL are in town this weekend, so I opened the last bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon I made for their wedding reception 2 years ago.

Most of the bottles were labeled with a picture taken at her sister's wedding earlier that year, but I produced a joke label they loved, which went on a quarter of the bottles at the reception.

CS.jpg

I'm not sure her parents were pleased, but since my son and DIL liked it, this label was presented.

It's the best gift ever! Made blueberry wine for my niece's wedding in similar fashion. They were just blown away that I did that.

View attachment 105505

Agreed. Money is easy, but making something special is a real gift. I was very happy to do it!

Latest posts

Back