What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all, some the finest art, especially surrealistic art, I've ever seen is/was on display in art galleries in Lahaina, Maui. I hope everyone that lives there or does business there recovers in the best way possible from the fires. Lahaina is/was a treasure. I loved being there as a tourist.

Wine talk: blend in a glass

44% Siegerrebe SG 1.084 mixed with 56% Madeleine Angevine SG 1.079 chaptalized to SG 1.085 with cane sugar as Carol's Muscat 2022 and then blended 50/50 Russet Apple Cyser made from my own Russet juice sweetened with unpasteurized bluelberry blossom honey to SG 1.085 both fermented with Lalvin 71B yeast.

Here are my comments:

Smell: good, fragrant

Acid: fine

Tannin: a bit high from the russets but ok

Flavour: decent, not outstanding but ok.

I'll mix it like this as a house wine. It will probably age due to the tannin, but the acid isn't high so it is probably better consumed over the next year or so. I'll blend this glass by glass this way. I might use some of it as a cooking wine in prawn linguine.

Attachments

• 20230811_180322.jpg
    20230811_180322.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Our field to fork meal. Last fall we hunted, field dressed and processed our own white tailed deer. I foraged at superstore for the other ingredients and we ground our own meat and made sausage. I made the wine from a kit (eclipse, the good old days) everything is better when you make it yourself. 20230812_175839.jpg

Our field to fork meal. Last fall we hunted, field dressed and processed our own white tailed deer. I foraged at superstore for the other ingredients and we ground our own meat and made sausage. I made the wine from a kit (eclipse, the good old days) everything is better when you make it yourself. View attachment 104457
good on you for that! Passion rules!

Wonderful afternoon at the Duplin winery today in Myrtle Beach. Lots of interesting wines using muscadine grapes. Loved the “Queen Anne’s Revenge“ (dry, complex, spicy finish) and the “Orange Blossom” (Light, touch of orange). such a unique flavor using muscadines.

I ❤️ Duplin! Glad you had a great time.

What wonderful folks there~ we truly had a great time!

I drink all kinds of wine (no snob here) and used to make large quantities of muscadine. I first found Duplin at an Ingle's store in Black Mountain, N.C. But then Walmart started carrying it locally, so I try to keep a few bottles around for when I am not in a hoity-toity wine mood. :) I had no idea they did tours! Next time we're in N.C. ...

Oh yeah it was a whole thing. You can bottle your own there, have a 12 variety wine tasting, they have live music with finger foods, a whole shop of all things wine... they have mostly semi-sweet to sweet wines, but a few dry to off-dry as well. I was amazed at the smell of the muscadine wine itself, like ripe concord vineyards in the fall afternoon. Very friendly and knowledgeable folks. Just like here.

Oh yeah it was a whole thing. You can bottle your own there, have a 12 variety wine tasting, they have live music with finger foods, a whole shop of all things wine... they have mostly semi-sweet to sweet wines, but a few dry to off-dry as well. I was amazed at the smell of the muscadine wine itself, like ripe concord vineyards in the fall afternoon. Very friendly and knowledgeable folks. Just like here.

I don't mind semi-sweet to sweet. Those are their wines I buy.

Last nights pizza wine. Wow was this not only good it was out of bounds good. First Zin from WA State. Was worried it might be getting long in the tooth but this thing could have laid down for another 5 years. Can easily hang with anything from Turley. Check out that ABV! Slept good last night. LOL

1692458466146.png

Last nights pizza wine. Wow was this not only good it was out of bounds good. First Zin from WA State. Was worried it might be getting long in the tooth but this thing could have laid down for another 5 years. Can easily hang with anything from Turley. Check out that ABV! Slept good last night. LOL
Another wine I can't get in Canada. Zin is always better when they blend a bit of petite sirah into it!

Spent two half-days doing a very intensive scrub-down of the master bath, with bleach and other nasty chemicals. Every nook and cranny. It looks brand new again! My reward...

IMG_3270.JPG

Do you think you can actually still smell anything after all that?

Spent two half-days doing a very intensive scrub-down of the master bath, with bleach and other nasty chemicals. Every nook and cranny. It looks brand new again! My reward...

View attachment 104763

Sold a 20 yo portable adjustable basketball hoop on FB Marketplace this afternoon. Selling can be a PITA, especially when folks jerk around.

However, the guy who bought it was very happy to get it for his 10 yo son. It took us 40 minutes to take it apart, and we got it into his Volkswagon Venza. I'm happy it's going to a good home instead of a landfill!

I came in dripping sweat ... needed wine ... this one is coming up on 2 years old (November) and it's holding well.

chardonnay.jpg

Latest posts

Back