What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds delicious.

What recipe did you use for the blueberry port style wine?

I basically made it like a blueberry wine, but step fed sugar additions during fermentation to get the ABV up. It went dry and I fortified with brandy and back sweetened with a combo of merlot and blueberry concentrates.

That definitely sounds delicious. I'll try making a small batch after the toasted caramel.

My daughter opened this Friday night. It was a gift she received years ago. Considering how old it is wasn’t terrible. Would have loved to tried it in its prime.
Bakervinyard

Attachments

• 959F668F-7591-47AC-8E77-A2255F3D0A05.jpeg
    959F668F-7591-47AC-8E77-A2255F3D0A05.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I've had the dregs from Grenache and Tempranillo fermenters in 1.5 liter bottles in a secondary fridge for a month -- I forgot about them. Last night I poured the Grenache off, and decided to sample it. For a very young wine, it's quite good. While it looks like a rose, it's got the structure of a light red. I'm very pleased with it.

grenache.jpg

Organic Butternut Squash Shepherds Pie with homegrown butternut, carrots and onions. I make it with organic lean ground, tamari, worchestershire sauce, smoked paprika, home grown basil, lemon thyme, oregano basil and peas

Am eating with my Petite Pinnacle 2020-21 wine (which I made for my wife as her future house red) as follows:

Petite Pinnacle 2020 - 2021
Dineen Cabernet Sauvignon JJ 2020
27.0​
11.7%
1.100​
0.80​
13.3​
Amador Cabernet Sauvignon JJ 2020
12.0​
5.2%1.1070.75
14.5​
Sheridan Syrah JJ 2020
12.0​
5.2%1.1140.70
15.6​
Amador Cabernet Sauvignon 2021 KO
90.0​
39.0%1.1070.70
14.5​
Petite Sirah KO 2021
68.3​
29.6%
1.120​
0.70​
16.6​
Regent KO 2021
21.7​
9.4%1.0820.85
10.6​
231.0​
100.0%
1.108​
0.73​
14.6​

First column is lbs of grapes all hand destemmed and uncrushed, 2nd column is % grapes in the blend, 3rd column is juice specific gravity, 4th column is tongue perceived acidity in %, 5th column is estimated % alcohol by varietal. I grow the Regent. Petite Sirah is sky high brix Mettler Lodi slightly shriveled grapes (no raisins like an Amarone) in really nice condition. The Washington Dineen Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon was a tiny bit under-ripe but not my much. We make it all the time at 14+ alcohol with less acid. In this blend its perfect by raising acid. We've made Amador Cabernet 2 years in a row (smells like cocoa, pomegranates and figs - one of a kind Cabernet Sauvignon - rich and tasty but different from anything you will ever taste). I grow Regent which drops the alcohol, adds acid and gives a red currant nose. This is really tasty, with a long finish and smells good, not because I made it ........because it is. My wife will probably drink it up over the next 3-4 years as her premium red wine. She is very fussy about what she likes to drink and this seems perfect for her. Rich, moderate acid, long finish and not too tannic. I use the name "Pinnacle" in all my Cabernet Sauvignon blends (in this case 3 Cabs). Petite Pinnacle means that I put a little (petite) amount of Petite Sirah into the Cabernet Sauvignon. My wife tasted it this evening and says that she really likes it (low acid, rich, not too tannic, fragrant, with a long aftertaste). Fermented with Lalvin RC212 for 2-4 weeks on punched down berries. Oaked with American medium toast oak cubes 5/US gallon during 90-120 day natural malolactic fermentation. Total sulphite as potassium metabisulphite 75 ppm with none added at ferment and 50 added after malolactic fermentation. What I've learned after 53 years of serious winemaking is to forget about names. Focus entirely on technique, smells and flavours. It has been a delight to discover this website and some seriously intentional winemakers and grape growers. JJ are my daughter and son in law. KO is me.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back