What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kind of a light day for me, too, but at least I am holding up my end. I had a beer with dinner. I am leaving at oh-dark-thirty for a week-long trip tomorrow, so I don't want to open a bottle of wine. Thankfully, I have one measly glass of ho-made Viognier left to defend our honor.

Fitting for today. Awesome juice. The cork was a little overkill for a Rose'. This was my last 2016. The 2017 version is sporting a sexy Stelvin closure.

IMG_3487.JPG

Opened one of my 2013 Tres Rojo's wines tonight. (50% Zin, 25% Cab Sauv, 25% Merlot) Awesome Sauce. Off for a week of Vaycay starting tomorrow. Our youngest daughter and I are headed out to visit my Mom and family in San Antonio. Looking forward to visiting with family but not so much the heat and humidity. When I get back I will only have 25 days left of work. But who is counting........

IMG_3490.JPG

After being shocked by the high prices of Washington Grapes available here and never really remembering anything that I've had from there that stood out , I went and bought a bottle of this today. Only 10.99 and it's pretty freakin good. I know just a micro sample of Washington grapes, but I was surprised.IMG_20180823_202932688_1.jpg

After being shocked by the high prices of Washington Grapes available here and never really remembering anything that I've had from there that stood out , I went and bought a bottle of this today. Only 10.99 and it's pretty freakin good. I know just a micro sample of Washington grapes, but I was surprised.

Haven’t priced any grapes from WA, but I can attest that there are some spectacular wines from there. I’ve joined several wine clubs from there and really like the wines.

Haven’t priced any grapes from WA, but I can attest that there are some spectacular wines from there. I’ve joined several wine clubs from there and really like the wines.
Count me as a big fan of WA wines, starting ~30 years ago!

I have always dismissed washington wine like I have done with local grapes and wines. Learned this past year that good wines can be made from things like cab franc, chambourcin norton, and some others. I was focused on Cali, Italy, Chile, France. Time to broaden that view. Had a good cab from Oregon also the other day.

But the lugs of Washington grapes are $98 a lug.

I'm going to have to do the same. I did just recently try a Finger Lakes bottle, can't remember what is was, but it didn't blow me away. As you said though it was just a micro sample.

I keep reading though that outside california, the finger lakes are where it's at with wines. Haven't had a finger lake wines yet.

Well, $98 / lug is pretty high, nearly $3 per pound, which would be worth it if the grapes were of superior quality, but you’d have to make certain of the product, sice you’d have $10/bottle in the mix, just for the fruit.

Do some searching, there’s incredible wines coming from up there, cabs, pinots, sirahs. Cayuse, Long Shadows, K Vintners, Quilceda Creek, Betz, just to name a very few in the long list. In the warmer areas, they’re producing killer cabs, where the microclimates are cooler, some wonderful sirahs and pinots. If you’ve never had a good sirah, you may be missing out......

Latest posts

Back