What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always dismissed washington wine like I have done with local grapes and wines. Learned this past year that good wines can be made from things like cab franc, chambourcin norton, and some others. I was focused on Cali, Italy, Chile, France. Time to broaden that view. Had a good cab from Oregon also the other day.

But the lugs of Washington grapes are $98 a lug.

I paid $1.40 a pound last fall for Horse Heaven Hills Syrah grapes. (This was part of a group buy by my local vintners association.) HHH is a very well-respected AVA.

I keep reading though that outside california, the finger lakes are where it's at with wines. Haven't had a finger lake wines yet.

Maybe for “outside the westcoast”. It’s tough for anyone to compete with the whole coast. Finger lakes are coming up as a legit spot tho. @tjgaul lives right in the middle of em all! I’m sure he can offer some insight.
I hear Oregon I think Pinot. Every time. Some of the Washington growing regions spill across state lines tho.
I’ve also been chomping at the bit for wash grapes. Fiending for some acid man!
$98 a lug is a lot but not typical. Remember same grapes last year were $73. So something up there. Keystones wash grapes are about $69 a lug for the cab. Bulk buy they’re $52. I smell a 2019 joint purchase

Last edited:
Well, $98 / lug is pretty high, nearly $3 per pound, which would be worth it if the grapes were of superior quality, but you’d have to make certain of the product, sice you’d have $10/bottle in the mix, just for the fruit.

Do some searching, there’s incredible wines coming from up there, cabs, pinots, sirahs. Cayuse, Long Shadows, K Vintners, Quilceda Creek, Betz, just to name a very few in the long list. In the warmer areas, they’re producing killer cabs, where the microclimates are cooler, some wonderful sirahs and pinots. If you’ve never had a good sirah, you may be missing out......

Will put all on my radar.

Maybe for “outside the westcoast”. It’s tough for anyone to compete with the whole coast. Finger lakes are coming up as a legit spot tho. @Tgpaul lives right in the middle of em all! I’m sure he can offer some insight.
I hear Oregon I think Pinot. Every time. Some of the Washington growing regions spill across state lines tho.
I’ve also been chomping at the bit for wash grapes. Fiending for some acid man!
$98 a lug is a lot but not typical. Remember same grapes last year were $73. So something up there. Keystones wash grapes are about $69 a lug for the cab. Bulk buy they’re $52. I smell a 2019 joint purchase

That might be the way to go, how many lugs or lbs minimum for a bulk purchase?

I paid $1.40 a pound last fall for Horse Heaven Hills Syrah grapes. (This was part of a group buy by my local vintners association.) HHH is a very well-respected AVA.
That's a decent price, I must say their cab sauv is very good. Chairman Selection for 10.99, quoted at 17.00, in the Pennsylvania Wine & Sprirts Store. Very good wine for the price.

1/4 ton. Not crazy at all. 500lbs is not even unrealistic for just myself if I had to. I posted the list in “2018 grape season underway thread”

Just read it again. I'd be willing to split a 1/4 ton of washington grapes in 2019.

Huge mistake there as far as WA wines go. You may be getting the shaft on the WA grapes but without knowing the AVA and the vineyard its hard to make a comment on that one.

I have always dismissed washington wine like I have done with local grapes and wines.

I'll jump on the 2018 thread in the 'wine from grapes' forum, but I'm looking at it this way: I do 108lbs of 4 different varietals most years. Guess how much that is? Yep, just shy of 1/4 ton. You get 4 of us each buying different varietals at 1/4 ton each, and you've got some good grapes at a good price.

Huge mistake there as far as WA wines go. You may be getting the shaft on the WA grapes but without knowing the AVA and the vineyard its hard to make a comment on that one.

I'm learning, no doubt a mistake on my part. The grapes are from WASHINGTON STATE, RATTLESNAKE HILLS A.V.A

If you want my thoughts on the AVA and that price let me know. I consider myself "educated" on all things dealing with WA State wines and grapes.

I'm learning, no doubt a mistake on my part. The grapes are from WASHINGTON STATE, RATTLESNAKE HILLS A.V.A

The other northwest grapes from keystone are from Yakima Valley and Willamette Valley (Oregon). They told me to call back during the week when the boss is there for more specific info.

So Rattlesnake Hills is located within the Yakima Valley but was given its own AVA name about 12 years ago after a lot of lobbying (on both sides of the fence). Its a fine area to grow grapes, nothing wrong with grapes grown in this AVA. Its just that nothing spectacular seems to come out of this AVA that would suggest a ppp (price per pound) for wine grapes of $2.72. Not sure if that is shipping included or not. The H3 AVA (Horse Heaven Hills) is just down the road a bit and has more "rock star" quality wines coming out of it than you can name. If Sour Grapes was able to purchase grapes from this AVA (H3) last year for $1.40/lb that should make you stop immediately. The best quote I have seen in regards to the Rattlesnake AVA comes from Dick Boushey owner of Boushey Vineyards whose vineyards are close to that area. It is every winemakers dream in WA State to get their hands on some Boushey fruit. He is well liked and well respected to say the least. Here is a direct quote from the Rattlesnake Hills AVA Wiki page:

"When an AVA designation for the Rattlesnake Hills was proposed it created controversy among some Washington winemakers and vineyard growers.[5] One of its most notable opponents was grower Dick Boushey of Boushey Vineyards in the Rattlesnake Hills (but not within the boundaries of the AVA). Boushey argued that the area did not have distinctive terroir that would merit an AVA stating "I know of no regional style, specific variety or type of wine that is unique to this proposed area. The granting of this proposal would confuse consumers and undermine the existing Yakima Valley Appellation."[6]"

So to sum this up, the fruit would certainly be good fruit but IMHO not worth $2.72/lb which as JohnD said puts you at ~$10 a bottle right out of the gates. I can purchase excellent $10 commercial wines all day long online grown from fruit from the H3 AVA. IMHO the $98 a lug you are being quoted is way overpriced and more than likely being marked up heavily by a middle man somewhere in the supply chain.

Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

So Rattlesnake Hills is located within the Yakima Valley but was given its own AVA name about 12 years ago after a lot of lobbying (on both sides of the fence). Its a fine area to grow grapes, nothing wrong with grapes grown in this AVA. Its just that nothing spectacular seems to come out of this AVA that would suggest a ppp (price per pound) for wine grapes of $2.72. Not sure if that is shipping included or not. The H3 AVA (Horse Heaven Hills) is just down the road a bit and has more "rock star" quality wines coming out of it than you can name. If Sour Grapes was able to purchase grapes from this AVA (H3) last year for $1.40/lb that should make you stop immediately. The best quote I have seen in regards to the Rattlesnake AVA comes from Dick Boushey owner of Boushey Vineyards whose vineyards are close to that area. It is every winemakers dream in WA State to get their hands on some Boushey fruit. He is well liked and well respected to say the least. Here is a direct quote from the Rattlesnake Hills AVA Wiki page:

"When an AVA designation for the Rattlesnake Hills was proposed it created controversy among some Washington winemakers and vineyard growers.[5] One of its most notable opponents was grower Dick Boushey of Boushey Vineyards in the Rattlesnake Hills (but not within the boundaries of the AVA). Boushey argued that the area did not have distinctive terroir that would merit an AVA stating "I know of no regional style, specific variety or type of wine that is unique to this proposed area. The granting of this proposal would confuse consumers and undermine the existing Yakima Valley Appellation."[6]"

So to sum this up, the fruit would certainly be good fruit but IMHO not worth $2.72/lb which as JohnD said puts you at ~$10 a bottle right out of the gates. I can purchase excellent $10 commercial wines all day long online grown from fruit from the H3 AVA. IMHO the $98 a lug you are being quoted is way overpriced and more than likely being marked up heavily by a middle man somewhere in the supply chain.

Thank for all the info, this is great. All their other grapes are inline price wise, getting Paso Robles grapes for 1.53 per pound. Keystone has Yakima Valley grapes much more reasonable but their Paso Robles are 2.13 per lb.

And ya I got the HHH cab for 10.99. At 2.72 per lb for the Gino's grapes after factoring in all other cost it would be approaching closer to $15 per bottle. (Adjuncts, oak, etc, etc)

Last edited:
Thank for all the info, this is great. All their other grapes are inline price wise, getting Paso Robles grapes for 1.53 per pound. Keystone has Yakima Valley grapes much more reasonable but their Paso Robles are 2.13 per lb.

And ya I got the HHH cab for 10.99. At 2.72 per lb for the Gino's grapes after factoring in all other cost it would be approaching closer to $15 per bottle. (Adjuncts, oak, etc, etc)
Because i live down the road from paso i can get them for $0.75 a pound

As to what i drank tonight just a basic Old Vine Malbec from south america. Cant remember the producer. Grabbed it at the store.

Latest posts

Back