What's in your glass tonight?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last night enjoyed a very interesting wine; a "orange" style wine, made from colombard grapes and processed like a red wine. Kind of like an inverted rose'. Black jellybean on the nose, and fruity petrol flavors. Kind of reminiscent of a late harvest Riesling but also very different and very dry. It's one of those wines you enjoy teasing out the peculiarities as well as just enjoying.
2018-08-30 20.21.57.jpg

Last night enjoyed a very interesting wine; a "orange" style wine, made from colombard grapes and processed like a red wine. Kind of like an inverted rose'. Black jellybean on the nose, and fruity petrol flavors. Kind of reminiscent of a late harvest Riesling but also very different and very dry. It's one of those wines you enjoy teasing out the peculiarities as well as just enjoying.
View attachment 50648

I have to try the orange wine, never had one.

I have to try the orange wine, never had one.
yeah, they're interesting. They have a lot going on because of the extended time on the skins. This particular one we tasted when it was very young, and we DID NOT like it at all (and it was the first time we had aver tried one of these, so that was unfortunate). But the winemaker gave us another one and now it's a few years old; much better after some time in the bottle.

2012 Nine Hats (Long Shadows) Red Blend. These guys just might know how to make a $40 wine sell for sub $20 year after year after year. These need several years of cellar time to be be approachable. This one needed about 20 mins of airtime and it was sailing through tonights leftovers of BBQ Brisket. @Johnd if you have not already snagged some of this make sure you do this Fall.

cbf1a4da-8736-11e5-9904-47a184aab619-780x585.jpg

After finishing off a CC Showcase Yakima Valley Cab/Shiraz, the spinning needle landed on a commercial wine. It was a 2008 Columbia Crest Grand Estates Merlot (not a typo). This is among the last of my efforts to age $9 bottles of wine into $10 bottles of wine. Tonight's effort was successful, as the CC punched well above its weight. This wine is nowhere near over the hill; it could actually benefit from more time in the bottle, IMHO.

2012 Nine Hats (Long Shadows) Red Blend. These guys just might know how to make a $40 wine sell for sub $20 year after year after year. These need several years of cellar time to be be approachable. This one needed about 20 mins of airtime and it was sailing through tonights leftovers of BBQ Brisket. @Johnd if you have not already snagged some of this make sure you do this Fall.

A good call for sure, got some on order, along with the Feather, Pirouette, and Chester-Kidder. Couple more months and it'll be Christmas in November, when the "hold for cool weather" wine starts to arrive in droves!!!!!

This is all stuff that didn't quite make it into Feather, Pedestal, Pirouette, Chester-Kidder, Sequel etc. They use to only have like 3 wines but now they really have spun it off as a full blown 2nd label with its own website and even a tasting room in the new trendy SODO district in downtown Seattle. Not sure if this increase in volume means a decrease in quality. I guess time will tell on that but man o man the bottles I have opened over the last few years are truly amazing wines and definitely 5 Star QPR value.

A good call for sure, got some on order, along with the Feather, Pirouette, and Chester-Kidder. Couple more months and it'll be Christmas in November, when the "hold for cool weather" wine starts to arrive in droves!!!!!

This is all stuff that didn't quite make it into Feather, Pedestal, Pirouette, Chester-Kidder, Sequel etc. They use to only have like 3 wines but now they really have spun it off as a full blown 2nd label with its own website and even a tasting room in the new trendy SODO district in downtown Seattle. Not sure if this increase in volume means a decrease in quality. I guess time will tell on that but man o man the bottles I have opened over the last few years are truly amazing wines and definitely 5 Star QPR value.

When chatting with the wine club lady, she mentioned the wine and that she had some available (don't recall the vintage), we added a few, maybe 4 bottles to my order, so it should be here pretty soon. Sounds like it still needs some time in the cellar, it'll be pretty safe from vinfantcide in there..........

Back